I Think Eating A Ray Peat Style Diet Messed Me Up

Korven

250g of carbs / day? You're probably starving.
I need 500g+ carbs day in and day out to function normally and not get hypoglicemic or racing heart.
Talk about racing heart episodes, been having them more often lately.

@Korven How much milk are you drinking?

About 2-2.5 liters of 4 % fat milk mixed with honey.

And yeah if I stopped eating consistently I would feel horrible. Have to be very careful about not pushing too hard during training as I still get some post-exercise malaise

@Kelj is right about calories for sure

wavelength123

Randle cycle: to prevent massive glucose oxidation and ever higher glucose requirements, just eat more fats

Ableton

What explains that I not only gain weight, but also drop in temps on more fat?
Its like fat makes me store energy instead of using it (only used sat fats of course)

baccheion

What explains that I not only gain weight, but also drop in temps on more fat?
Its like fat makes me store energy instead of using it (only used sat fats of course)
Saturated fats are said to slow thyroid output. One theory is that it's due to piggy backed endotoxin.

JKX

Saturated fats are said to slow thyroid output. One theory is that it's due to piggy backed endotoxin.
Saturated fat slows thyroid?

I've not had that experience. Holding some coconut oil in my mouth for 5 mins then swallowing increases my pulse and temp.

lampofred

Long chain saturated fats slow thyroid, but not short chain (coconut oil).

Jsaute21

I personally do not buy into the fast/slow oxidizer that puts all people into 1 of two categories. I feel good when my pulse and temps are high. Are there times where adrenaline or stress can cause such a reaction? Sure. Is Ray perfect? No. But i am someone who was ripped, low energy and worthless at work while eating high protein/low carb that would meet the criteria for a "fast oxidizer" diet. Going off of the fast oxidizer description, I meet the criteria to a tee.

Now (since finding Peat) i am less ripped though respectably shaped, healthier, and most importantly much more capable at handling stress albeit in a healing phase. I don't feel perfect by any stretch but i am better off for finding ray peat, haidut, etc. than i would have been otherwise.

I have absolutely no stake in the game but i do ask you to think about agendas? What's Ray's agenda? Based on my observations it isn't monetary or to be the smartest guy in the room. Folks preaching the fast/slow oxidizer idealogy seem to love charging folks for meal plans/hair testing analysis etc. Trust yourself, listen to yourself but don't look at things as "right" or "wrong". Use context, and begin to shape your own healing process.
Hi,

So this style of eating, helped me go from a cold insomniac. To warm and able to sleep.

But then eventually to something like a completely overactive nervous system.
And it's kind of like it caused me to burn through all my energy and reserves.

Theres metabolism types called fast and slow oxidizers.

Fast oxidizers are meant to eat more fat and fibre. And also I noticed it was suggested to avoid citrate (citric acid) and amino acids like glycine, serine etc. I find these intolerable now. Along with large amounts of carbohydrates

I think I'm a fast oxidizer.
And I think my initial problem was undereating, so it seemed to help me for a while. As I genuinely needed the increase in calories.
And now I'm very worried about my health.

I dont think this diet is one size fits all. And I think it might be dangerous for some.

I've had to backtrack completely, and the only thing keeping my health somewhat in check is eating a lot of vegetables and very low carb, very moderate protein. Otherwise I get terrible heart racing episodes and a feeling of agitation that keeps me up all night with sweating and overheating.

Your first sentence states you were a cold insomniac prior to finding Peat. Therefore its hard to blame him for any issues you ran into. I am not a @haidut type resource by any stretch but i will tell you that I have zero faith in the fast/slow oxidizer approach that puts people into 1 of 2 camps. I virtually eat a fast oxidizer diet for years (high protein, low carb) and felt below average from a virility standpoint for a guy in his late twenties. Since coming across Peat, my health has shown promising signs of regeneration though i still have some areas to improve.

By no means am i trying to shoot down your unsuccessful "Peat Experience" but i do think you should reevaluate your health journey and look at things with a bit more context. Regaining one's health is a trying experience that can be very frustrating but trust me when i say this: Ray Peat is smart. Is he perfect? Nobody is - but besides yourself you will have a hard time finding someone with more endocrine/metabolic/nutritional expertise anywhere. Take it from a guy that worsened his health upon many trials and tribulations.

Cheers to your recovery.

Jsaute21

I personally do not buy into the fast/slow oxidizer that puts all people into 1 of two categories. I feel good when my pulse and temps are high. Are there times where adrenaline or stress can cause such a reaction? Sure. Is Ray perfect? No. But i am someone who was ripped, low energy and worthless at work while eating high protein/low carb that would meet the criteria for a "fast oxidizer" diet. Going off of the fast oxidizer description, I meet the criteria to a tee.

Now (since finding Peat) i am less ripped though respectably shaped, healthier, and most importantly much more capable at handling stress albeit in a healing phase. I don't feel perfect by any stretch but i am better off for finding ray peat, haidut, etc. than i would have been otherwise.

I have absolutely no stake in the game but i do ask you to think about agendas? What's Ray's agenda? Based on my observations it isn't monetary or to be the smartest guy in the room. Folks preaching the fast/slow oxidizer idealogy seem to love charging folks for meal plans/hair testing analysis etc. Trust yourself, listen to yourself but don't look at things as "right" or "wrong". Use context, and begin to shape your own healing process.

Your first sentence states you were a cold insomniac prior to finding Peat. Therefore its hard to blame him for any issues you ran into. I am not a @haidut type resource by any stretch but i will tell you that I have zero faith in the fast/slow oxidizer approach that puts people into 1 of 2 camps. I virtually eat a fast oxidizer diet for years (high protein, low carb) and felt below average from a virility standpoint for a guy in his late twenties. Since coming across Peat, my health has shown promising signs of regeneration though i still have some areas to improve.

By no means am i trying to shoot down your unsuccessful "Peat Experience" but i do think you should reevaluate your health journey and look at things with a bit more context. Regaining one's health is a trying experience that can be very frustrating but trust me when i say this: Ray Peat is smart. Is he perfect? Nobody is - but besides yourself (since you are the compass to your past, present and future) you will have a hard time finding someone with more endocrine/metabolic/nutritional expertise anywhere. Take it from a guy that worsened his health upon many trials and tribulations.

Cheers to your recovery.

JKX

Cortisol would increase temp, but not pulse. Coconut oil taken after food. I doubt this would indicate increase in cortisol and adrenaline. They should be lowering if anything in response to the food and saturated fat.

The difference between thyroid driven temp and pulse increase from foods versus the stress increase is fairly easy to recognise.

When I exercise my nose and hands will often go cold for the first ten minutes of a workout. After 20mins my extremities are warm from the cortisol and adrenaline. My heart rate during exercise is manic and taps lightly and quickly on the wrist, versus the steady stepping increase which occurs from thyroid or progesterone with the pulse pushing back hard against the wrist indicating increased blood volume.

With regard to the study...

I'm really not sure much can be deduced from it. The very act of removing living cells from a persons thyroid is stressful and would be enough to promote fatty acid alteration and reduce thyroid functionality. The condition of the cells sampled would be dependent on the health of the donor. Cell conditions would have had to be known prior to removal to allow a fair comparison.

I would directly question the authors findings. In my opinion the only deduction that can be made is that increased stress can potentially decrease thyroid function.

baccheion

Cortisol would increase temp, but not pulse. Coconut oil taken after food. I doubt this would indicate increase in cortisol and adrenaline. They should be lowering if anything in response to the food and saturated fat.

The difference between thyroid driven temp and pulse increase from foods versus the stress increase is fairly easy to recognise.

When I exercise my nose and hands will often go cold for the first ten minutes of a workout. After 20mins my extremities are warm from the cortisol and adrenaline. My heart rate during exercise is manic and taps lightly and quickly on the wrist, versus the steady stepping increase which occurs from thyroid or progesterone with the pulse pushing back hard against the wrist indicating increased blood volume.

With regard to the study...

I'm really not sure much can be deduced from it. The very act of removing living cells from a persons thyroid is stressful and would be enough to promote fatty acid alteration and reduce thyroid functionality. The condition of the cells sampled would be dependent on the health of the donor. Cell conditions would have had to be known prior to removal to allow a fair comparison.

I would directly question the authors findings. In my opinion the only deduction that can be made is that increased stress can potentially decrease thyroid function.
Have you verified thyroid/T4/T3 increase from higher saturated fats?

JKX

No I haven't. Purely anecdotal and comparing to my experiences using things like progrsterone.

I dont see the point in testing those numbers though. I dont think they reveal much about a persons health. Although, I do have a set of results from 3 years ago and I might test again at the end of the summer out of interest. The way I feel now is night and day from then so it would be interesting if this is reflected in t3 and t4 concentrations in the blood.

Have you had negative experiences with saturated fats?

PaRa

fatty foods that are easy ish to digest are, by order : coconut, some raw MILK and some raw egg yolks
Other are too hard for my weak digestive system (Cystic fibrosis) even with digestive enzymes

Coconut oil is really warming

Other fat intake leads me to low calories (as I don’t absorb them), always hungry and heavy feeling, serious digestive issues, adrenaline,...