I Think Aspirin Changed My Period

Peata

TMI warning. :toiletclaw

OK, this period has been very different. Not as much breast tenderness (the aspirin helped that) and still had cramps bad one day (but again, the aspirin helped).

However, there have been minor cramps everyday.

What the big difference was, the menstrual flow is brighter red and flows easier/faster and there is more of it. There were some smallish clots and "fibrous strands" (Have had that before though).

I'm late 30s. Through my 30s, my periods were easy - very light, though probably not ideal since I used to skip months and have long cycles..(pcos, have always had hormone issues). However, in the last few years they have been more regular but still very light, though there has been a rare occasion that differed. So, with what I described above, I have to say that this month with being able to actually feel the flow, a heavier flow, and combined with the red blood, I've just felt gross. And a little concerned. Wondering what's going on, of course.

This reminds me of how my periods were when I was a young teen - age 13, 14, etc.

Could it have something to do with all the Progest-E I took the two weeks before?

Or, I feel the more likely answer is the regular aspirin I've been taking for the last month. I don't take mega doses like many do. I just take a "nibble" off an aspirin one to three times per day everyday for the last month. It probably amounts to about 1/2 an aspirin per day. Although there are days if I feel like I need more (cramps, breast tenderness) I would take more.

I've had no stomach problem from aspirin that I can tell, even though I don't supplement with K - I get some in my diet here and there.

4peatssake

According to Ray Peat, aspirin tends to reduce clots and decrease excessive menstrual flow.

Ray Peat said:
Aspirin is an antioxidant that protects against lipid peroxidation, but it also stimulates mitochondrial respiration. It can inhibit abnormal cell division, but promote normal cell division. It can facilitate learning, while preventing excitotoxic nerve injury. It reduces clotting, but it can decrease excessive menstrual bleeding. These, and many other strangely beneficial effects of aspirin, strongly suggest that it is acting on very basic biological processes, in a coherent way.
Aspirin, brain, cancer

My period was regulated in 3 days using Progest E. Due to perimenopausal symptoms including estrogen dominance I had begun having very heavy periods with thick clotting. Three days after I started using Progest E, I got a normal period. I was rather stunned it worked so fast.

If you are supplementing Progest E (which I think you are?) I would think the Progest E is very likely affecting your period in addition to any effects from the aspirin, as both can help to normalize them.

Both are extremely protective and anti-inflammatory. Good stuff!

Ray Peat said:
Vitamin E, like progesterone and aspirin, acts within the cellular regulatory systems, to prevent inflammation and inappropriate excitation. Since uncontrolled excitation causes destructive oxidations, these substances prevent those forms of oxidation.
Vitamin E: Estrogen antagonist, energy promoter, and anti-inflammatory

Gabriel

Both Vitamin E and Aspirin are blood thinning to a certain extend (in most this is a desirable effect). If you're already prone to bleeding (unknowingly) this might explain you're increase in bleeding and the thinner (more red) appearance of your blood.

According to other reports of women Aspirin can shorten the menstrual bleeding time while increasing the bleeding amount. So I'm not sure how Ray Peat meant it when he said "reduce excessive bleeding".

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=317711
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 948AA4z2SI

I'd try supplementing Vitamin K and see how you go from there.

And also try either aspirin or progest-e or the combination which will allow you to identify what's making it worse.

Mittir

Here are some quotes from RP

I think a little aspirin, regularly if not daily, is good prevention [CANCER], if you are sure to get enough vitamin K,
to prevent excess bleeding. The amount depends on how you react to it, and can change as your metabolism
adjusts
If you are taking the aspirin regularly, you should make sure to get vitamin
K, from kale, liver, or a supplement.

CRAMPS
It [PROGEST-E] can help with cramps, but it would probably take a lot; I think it's better to use thyroid (including
T3) to solve the basic problem, since it will let you regulate the balance between estrogen and progesterone, while
allowing your cells to balance the minerals, retaining the magnesium needed to prevent cramping. Increasing your
intake of all the main minerals, calcium, sodium, potassium, and magnesium usually helps in the short term, but the
balance isn't stable if your thyroid is low. Milk, orange juice, coffee (even decaffeinated coffee is a good source of
magnesium), and well salted foods, support thyroid functions. Aspirin helps with thyroid function and mineral
balance, even helps to prevent excessive estrogen production.
http://www.dannyroddy.com/2011/12/29/ra ... tandi.html
The 1936 Cyclopedia of Medicine (G.M. Piersol, editor, volume 6) mentions the use of gelatin solution to quickly control nosebleeds, excessive menstrual bleeding, bleeding ulcers (using three doses of 18 grams as a 10% solution during one day), and bleeding from hemorrhoids and the lower bowel, and hemorrhage from the bladder.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gelatin.shtml

In summary, you need good amount of vitamin K to use Aspirin.
You need to balance your thyroid and increase intake of four minerals calcium,magnesium, sodium and potassium.
Gelatin helps with all kind of bleeding. You also need to follow his other dietary recommendations.

OP
Peata

Peata

I'll post more, but wanted to come back and say that yesterday the flow started tapering off a lot, and today, it's gone. So that was 6 days (first 2 or 3 days are always light)- normal for me. I guess I wasn't necessarily flowing more than normal then, it was just easier, thinner (and brighter)... maybe that's now it should have been all these years when it was more dryish and darker. Perhaps this was a "self clean".

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks all of you for the information and your thoughts on it.

I was taking the full dose of Progest-E as described in the directions. I did this for the last half of my cycle, then tapered a bit and stopped after Saturday. My period had already started to come lightly when I stopped the ProgestE. It was a shorter cycle - 26 days. I normally go 28 - 30something. I have not taken any Progest E since then. My initial plan was to do the big dose for a couple weeks, and then just use a "maintenance" dose (or maybe a little more) each month on the 2nd half of cycle, the same as one would do with a progesterone cream. Does this seem fine? Especially if my estrogen dominance symptoms seem to improve?

I usually get an average of 20% vitamin K daily on cronometer, though this week I've had about double that, just due to some different things on the menu. I do use gelatin daily, and seem to get a good amount of vitamins and minerals (I don't make 100% of everything every single day). I use the other Peat things, sugar, salt, etc. I have seen evidence of my thyroid normalizing, such as hair growth and my temps and pulse seem good.

OP
Peata

Peata

TMI alert again, if you haven't seen this old thread.. Mods, you might move this thread to the woman's topics. Anyway, just revisiting this because I forgot all about this until the same thing happened to me yesterday.

I've been taking aspirin quite a bit for a month or more, mostly for headaches. I can get these mild but nagging headaches that get worse if I don't do something. I think they can be from stress/heat/hormones/maybe blood sugar dropping.

Period was doing its usual thing lately where it's barely there. After a week of that I thought it was done for good though I still was taking precautions. Yesterday it came on strong, thin, red. Soaked through a few pads in 5 - 6 hour. Only mild cramps though toward evening. I am not taking Progest E or Vitamin E. I believe it's soley the aspirin since it reduces clots. I take 5 mg. K2 and have been taking that much or more for a couple months. I don't see the flow as a bad thing, especially since it's letting up (it was just the one day of strong flow). Seems like it's "cleansing". I did not get the crazy sore breasts this time around. I did get some acne though.

On one hand I still have that fear of aspirin and wonder if I should take less, though I usually don't have to take it everyday, maybe every 2 - 3 days. And usually take one or two regular strength Alka Seltzer or plain aspirin. Occasionally up to 5 aspirin per day.

On the other hand, I freakin love aspirin. It doesn't bother my stomach anymore and I love the way it makes me feel. It doesn't just help with whatever pain, it actually goes above and beyond and makes me feel *better* in all ways.

whodathunkit

Yesterday it came on strong, thin, red. Soaked through a few pads in 5 - 6 hour.
I don't know anything about aspirin but I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this. I HATE it when this happens. :grumpy:

Do you get any other physiological or psych symptoms with it? Everybody knows aspirin's a blood thinner but this used to happen to me a lot (I call it "re-bleeding") and I've never messed much with aspirin. These days it doesn't happen except only very occasionally, but when it does there's a definite feeling I get when it comes on. It's a fretful, fidgety, exasperated kind of feeling that's a bit different from other forms of "serotonin brain" I experience at other times. Maybe its estrogen or inflammation brain. Even before I learned anything about Peat I figured it might have to do with cortisol or other stress hormones but never really decided since it doesn't happen much any more and I was all fragged up when it used to happen a lot. It stopped happening so I stopped wondering about it.

Point being, since it happens a lot to people who don't take aspirin, I would be hesitant to ascribe it solely to the aspirin. Although with aspirin being a blood thinner it might exacerbate the problem. But I'd look more at stress response as the culprit, at least starting out. Maybe aspirin can cause a stress response if the dose is too much...?

Also, just as a point of interest...do you mind saying how old you are? If not that's fine. Just asking because when it happened a lot I was late 30's - mid 40's, and from what I've read that's the common age for this phenomenon.

Last edited:
OP
Peata

Peata

I don't know anything about aspirin but I just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this. I HATE it when this happens. :grumpy:

Do you get any other physiological or psych symptoms with it? Everybody knows aspirin's a blood thinner but this used to happen to me a lot (I call it "re-bleeding") and I've never messed much with aspirin. These days it doesn't happen except only very occasionally, but when it does there's a definite feeling I get when it comes on. It's a fretful, fidgety, exasperated kind of feeling that's a bit different from other forms of "serotonin brain" I experience at other times. Maybe its estrogen or inflammation brain. Even before I learned anything about Peat I figured it might have to do with cortisol or other stress hormones but never really decided since it doesn't happen much any more and I was all fragged up when it used to happen a lot. It stopped happening so I stopped wondering about it.

Point being, since it happens a lot to people who don't take aspirin, I would be hesitant to ascribe it solely to the aspirin. Although with aspirin being a blood thinner it might exacerbate the problem. But I'd look more at stress response as the culprit, at least starting out. Maybe aspirin can cause a stress response if the dose is too much...?

Also, just as a point of interest...do you mind saying how old you are? If not that's fine. Just asking because when it happened a lot I was late 30's - mid 40's, and from what I've read that's the common age for this phenomenon.
No, in my case, the free-flowing thin blood only happened two times in my 30s and early 40s (I'm early 40s now) -both with regular aspirin use. Otherwise, my periods are not thin at all. They are annoyingly "dry" or sometimes on the clotty side. Often a long cycle and scanty for days and days. So having it actually flow was good. I just wasn't prepared for it Saturday as I'd forgotten about this being a possible effect from the aspirin. No psych symptoms out of the ordinary.

ilpmusic

I'll post more, but wanted to come back and say that yesterday the flow started tapering off a lot, and today, it's gone. So that was 6 days (first 2 or 3 days are always light)- normal for me. I guess I wasn't necessarily flowing more than normal then, it was just easier, thinner (and brighter)... maybe that's now it should have been all these years when it was more dryish and darker. Perhaps this was a "self clean".
As you get older, the body changes and your cycle can change too. if it continues, bring it up in your next pap smear exam.

ilpmusic

i am going to take a break with aspirin for a month ans see if it changes my cycle. Mine was also longer and "thinner"

ilpmusic

I stop taking aspirin for a few weeks. My cycle is back to normal - shorter and not prolong like I use to have with aspirin. I will no longer be taking aspirin.

Frankdee20

TMI alert again, if you haven't seen this old thread.. Mods, you might move this thread to the woman's topics. Anyway, just revisiting this because I forgot all about this until the same thing happened to me yesterday.

I've been taking aspirin quite a bit for a month or more, mostly for headaches. I can get these mild but nagging headaches that get worse if I don't do something. I think they can be from stress/heat/hormones/maybe blood sugar dropping.

Period was doing its usual thing lately where it's barely there. After a week of that I thought it was done for good though I still was taking precautions. Yesterday it came on strong, thin, red. Soaked through a few pads in 5 - 6 hour. Only mild cramps though toward evening. I am not taking Progest E or Vitamin E. I believe it's soley the aspirin since it reduces clots. I take 5 mg. K2 and have been taking that much or more for a couple months. I don't see the flow as a bad thing, especially since it's letting up (it was just the one day of strong flow). Seems like it's "cleansing". I did not get the crazy sore breasts this time around. I did get some acne though.

On one hand I still have that fear of aspirin and wonder if I should take less, though I usually don't have to take it everyday, maybe every 2 - 3 days. And usually take one or two regular strength Alka Seltzer or plain aspirin. Occasionally up to 5 aspirin per day.

On the other hand, I freakin love aspirin. It doesn't bother my stomach anymore and I love the way it makes me feel. It doesn't just help with whatever pain, it actually goes above and beyond and makes me feel *better* in all ways.

K1 helps the clotting not K2