I Think 5 Liters Of Milk A Day Gives Me Diarrhea, But I Don’t Know What Else To Eat

ShotTrue

Sounds like a mental crisis to me. Drinking that much milk in a day is insane. Why not just be less strict about PUFA? I get more calories than you and it only amounts to just under five grams. Is it really going to make that big a difference long-term, more so than the obvious stress that this way of eating is having on you?
It's not a well informed choice. You see here someone way too far into a reductionist style of thinking in the diet, having to make up for it with an excess of what they consider a safe food. Mental anxiety and reductionism typically go hand in hand

tankasnowgod

I’m having a bit of a (mental) crisis. I need quite a lot of calories (at least 3000) to maintain my weight. However, I want to keep my PUFA very low, preferrably under 2 grams. So I drink about 5-6 liters of skim milk a day, and fill the remaining calories with rice, potatoes and a bit of fruit.

Lately however, my stool has been very liquidy and I have to go like 5 times a day. I think milk may be part of the culprit (I was also on a week-course of antibiotics when the problems got worse). I don’t know if it’s the lactose, whey, casein, or simply the amount of liquid.

Anyway, I want to cut back to 2 liters for a few days to see if things change. But I don’t know how to get all those calories without getting large amounts of pufa. I could add even more rice and potatoes and some fruit, but that’s about all I can think of.

Liquid Milk is a very high tryptophan protein (mostly due to the whey). If a significant amount is converting to serotonin, that could be the reason for the issues.

postman

Just eat more potatoes and rice if you tolerate those foods well. If you don't care about micronutrients you can mix it with MCT, sugar, gelatin/collagen for extra calories. Antibiotics are horrible for digestive health.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

Sounds like a mental crisis to me. Drinking that much milk in a day is insane. Why not just be less strict about PUFA? I get more calories than you and it only amounts to just under five grams. Is it really going to make that big a difference long-term, more so than the obvious stress that this way of eating is having on you?

Well, the reason I’m strict with pufa is because most studies I’ve read relating pufa intake with lipid peroxidation, MDA, and many other inflammatory markers show a steep positive relationship with a quick plateau. I’m not sure if there’s a big difference between eating say 6g vs 30g a day, but think there is a big difference between eating 1g vs 4g

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

I remember reading Dr. Kruse's book (I forgot to add him to my list ! Lol! I disagree with him A LOT but he has good things to say on a few things like sunlight, EMF's) and he said something about Glycine being critical for Glutathione production. I forget if RP made a Glycine/Glutathione connection? But, gelatin (glycine) I think is a very crucial thing to eat in any case, so I try to religiously eat it (in home made jello form) every day. Its the only amino acid that doesn't cause problems in the long run. That's one reason I quit milk and cheese. I am highly sensitive to tryptophan, and the benefits of calcium were overshadowed (for me at least) by the negatives of tryptophan. I find protein to be one of the trickier things to get right. I feel bad on high protein, and I feel bad on low protein. 100-150 gram seems to be the sweet spot, and it needs to not be tryptophan, or I'm in bad shape. Beef is relatively low tryptophan, and of course gelatin has zero, so these are my two staples.

Yeah salt and potassium are two other important things for sure. Potassium is one reason fruit is crucial. Potassium and thiamine help metabolize sugars and both are frequently seen in fruits. I started playing with a mostly starch diet McDouglas style but started feeling bad and that's when I realized you need a balance of fruit and starch. I feel bad when I have fruit to the exclusion of starch also. Also, salting starch is a lot more palatable than salting fruit (which I used to do, looking back, was disgusting LOL)
You make it sound so complicated haha. I now have 6 variables: liquid, fat, casein, whey, lactose, and tryptophan. It’s gonna take a while to control for all of those.

OP
Gadsie

Gadsie

My plan now is to drink 2 liters a day and replace the calories mainly with potatoes and protein with lean beef. See how it feels in 3 days.

ShotTrue

My plan now is to drink 2 liters a day and replace the calories mainly with potatoes and protein with lean beef. See how it feels in 3 days.
I feel like you're worse off with a lack of micronutrients and forcing the body to work on the same foods

redsun

I feel like you're worse off with a lack of micronutrients and forcing the body to work on the same foods

Beef, potatoes, and milk would cover virtually every nutrient and and also would be incredibly bioavailable. I dont see the issue?

Tenacity

Beef, potatoes, and milk would cover virtually every nutrient and and also would be incredibly bioavailable. I dont see the issue?
The diet could be rounded out with leafy greens, but I agree that a diet of milk, meat, fruit and starch would be very nutritious.

ShotTrue

Idek know why they have groceries store when all you need is
Beef, potato, milk

redsun

The diet could be rounded out with leafy greens, but I agree that a diet of milk, meat, fruit and starch would be very nutritious.

Leafy greens are unneccessary not too mention damaging to those who do not tolerate tough plant fibers(myself for example). There is nothing this particular diet does not have that would require supplementation by vegetables. Slight lacking in thiamine possibly, but most diets are.

Every vitamin and mineral? How is that possible

Input sirloin tip(lean beef), skim milk, and potatoes into cronometer until you reach 3000cals worth and see for yourself. You dont have to get close to 3000 cals to see how sufficient it is.

Idek know why they have groceries store when all you need is
Beef, potato, milk
That's like saying "Why do we have the medical establishment if doctors can't cure most people?". The answer is marketing. And brainwashing.

ShotTrue

Are you all carnivore diet or something?
So are you saying there is no vitamins or minerals from fruit or vegetables we need at all? I find it hard to believe a potato has it all

I don't have cronometer

redsun

Are you all carnivore diet or something?
So are you saying there is no vitamins or minerals from fruit or vegetables we need at all? I find it hard to believe a potato has it all

I don't have cronometer

Beef, milk, and potatoes is hardly carnivore diet. Problem is you dont seem to know how nutritious common foods are. Vegetables... yeh eat them if you like them. Fruits are good for sugars, vitamin C, potassium, depends on the fruit. Some are better then others.

You can subsist off of potatoes entirely for carbohydrates and it provides more nutrients then most fruits and vegetables(nutrients in vegetables arent really bioavailable for the most part). You dont NEED fruits and vegetables but many people enjoy fruits here because they are fruits after all.

I suggest you start using cronometer, its free, and its incredibly informative and convenient when tracking calories or nutrients.

ShotTrue

Looks like it provides B vitamins but not A,C, K, D, A. Maybe half the minerals which looks pretty good

ShotTrue

DO you have an encompassing source material for this? Like a book you read or a blog?
I'm open to the idea that vegetables and fruits aren't exactly necessary; I'd like to read a lot more about it.
Is there o difference in the form of carbohydrate? Why potato vs fruit vs rice vs bread?

Especially if you have a book.

ShotTrue

I might start using the chronometer more, I am worried that perhaps it doesn't show the full picture. It's hard to grasp that a variety of vegetables or fruits don't provide more to a diet, if not downright essential for proper nutrition

redsun

DO you have an encompassing source material for this? Like a book you read or a blog?
I'm open to the idea that vegetables and fruits aren't exactly necessary; I'd like to read a lot more about it.
Is there o difference in the form of carbohydrate? Why potato vs fruit vs rice vs bread?

Especially if you have a book.

Ray Peat doesnt really recommend vegetables besides raw carrot from what I can recall off the top of my head. In that case he recommends raw carrot between meals to speed up bowel movements and soak up endotoxins, not for micronutrients. He does reccomend if you can to rely entirely on milk, fruits, and honey for carbohydrates and nutrients because he believes they are better than starches. Not many follow this on here, lots of users turn to entirely starch for carbohydrates when sugars werent working for them and they do better.

Cirion

I am finding it useful lately to keep it simple. no supplements, minimal variety of food. This makes it easy to troubleshoot what is helping and what is not too. To that end, I don't eat vegetables and the only fruit I have is grapes, and some OJ. I get enough K, C. I no longer worry about A, D, or E. I don't worry about D because I focus on getting sunlight which is better, and I don't worry about E because my PUFA intake is low. I don't worry about A because most people get too much of it (See the toxicity thread on VA). If I ever do think I'm low on VA, I'll just eat some sweet potatoes probably. Regular potatoes make a common appearance in my diet though.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals