I React On High Serotonin Content Food, Not High Tryptophan Food. What Does This Mean?

Hgreen56

i did some experiments last weeks and notice that i react on high serotonin content food like kiwi's, bananas and oither food from this list
Serotonin content of foods: effect on urinary excretion of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid. - PubMed - NCBI

I got very sleepy and bloat immediately after consumption.
i didn't know serotonin can cause bloating..

When i take high tryptophan food like vis,meat ar even whey protein powder, i doesn't affect me at all in a negative way.
Even high doses whey like 100 grams in 2 shakes in a row i don't notice anything negative.

So why exactly does this mean?

mrchibbs

your comparison is not exactly useful, seeing as tryptophan is the direct building material for serotonin.

yerrag

My question would be whether 5-HIAA is a reliable surrogate for serotonin. It is a metabolite of it, and may not correlate to the serotonin content in these foods.

As these foods contain simple sugars, and as you're comparing to protein, it could very well be about how your body absorbs and metabolizes simple sugars as compared to protein.

I used to feel much better eating beef jerky when hungry, as compared to eating simple sugars like candy and fruits. It had a lot to do with how quickly sugar is introduced into my blood with eating simple sugars, as. compared to the slow way protein gets converted to sugar via proteolysis and gluconeogenesis.

I would have an insulin reaction eating simple sugars as the blood glucose would go high, due to poor sugar absorption/metabolism, and this cause a strong insulin response and this would cause blood sugar to go down quickly, via liver converting glucose to fat. This wouldn't happen with the slow rate of sugar being converted from protein.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals