I No Longer Have Hangovers

Frankdee20

I don't really get hangovers unless severely dehydrated. I do get tired next day if I am drinking before bedtime as this is terrible for sleeping. If I drink too fast I also awake with norepinephrine rebound.

Frankdee20

I am more of a binge drinker, but give myself 3-4 days off after one session

inthedark

I was having issues with this a couple winters ago as I was getting horrible crippling migraines the day after drinking even just a bit. I emailed Ray Peat about it and he emphasized the importance of glycogen storage so that ffa and stress hormones don't rise and tank energy reserves overnight after drinking. He recommend a big milkshake or something before bed. This has worked like a charm for me every time. If not a milkshake I'll drink a bunch of salted juice or have anytbing else sugary and carbey.

I've also made sure to have no pufas before or during alcohol consumption and to either have drinks that have sugar and caffeine or to drink a couple sodas and/or coffee at some point during the night along with decent food. The main signal for me to do this is when I start to yawn or feel tired. Taking progesterone before drinking or before bed also seems to help a lot. However if you're a chronic drinker and you do this (progesterone and drinking alcohol) you will apparently gain weight.

Frankdee20

I was having issues with this a couple winters ago as I was getting horrible crippling migraines the day after drinking even just a bit. I emailed Ray Peat about it and he emphasized the importance of glycogen storage so that ffa and stress hormones don't rise and tank energy reserves overnight after drinking. He recommend a big milkshake or something before bed. This has worked like a charm for me every time. If not a milkshake I'll drink a bunch of salted juice or have anytbing else sugary and carbey.

I've also made sure to have no pufas before or during alcohol consumption and to either have drinks that have sugar and caffeine or to drink a couple sodas and/or coffee at some point during the night along with decent food. The main signal for me to do this is when I start to yawn or feel tired. Taking progesterone before drinking or before bed also seems to help a lot. However if you're a chronic drinker and you do this (progesterone and drinking alcohol) you will apparently gain weight.

Yeah, hydration before bed and some fuel helps. But I always wake up with rapid pulse and adrenaline. I’m not sure if that’s norepinephrine and glutaminergic rebound, or low glycogen stores from the overnight.

Frankdee20

Vodka is easier on me than bourbon though. It’s the congeners in dark spirits that mess people up.

sladerunner69

Sugar and low pufa definitely help supercharge the liver. It take approximately twice the amount of liquor for me to feel intoxicated compared to before Peating and depleting PUFA substantially.

Frankdee20

Sugar and low pufa definitely help supercharge the liver. It take approximately twice the amount of liquor for me to feel intoxicated compared to before Peating and depleting PUFA substantially.

Nothing to imply you Mr Bladerunner, but I read that reduced D2 receptor function can cause someone to need more alcohol to feel similar effects vs. control. That was based on offspring of alcoholic rats needing more booze, suggesting alcoholism was genetic.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Nothing to imply you Mr Bladerunner, but I read that reduced D2 receptor function can cause someone to need more alcohol to feel similar effects vs. control. That was based on offspring of alcoholic rats needing more booze, suggesting alcoholism was genetic.

What circumstances might you posit the downregulation of D2 receptors resulting from?

I generally don't worry about the sensitivity/regulation of receptors because the structural integrity and energy of the cell tends to optimize receptor function.

Frankdee20

What circumstances might you posit the downregulation of D2 receptors resulting from?

I generally don't worry about the sensitivity/regulation of receptors because the structural integrity and energy of the cell tends to optimize receptor function.

I believe the studies showed offspring of rats that received alcohol chronically, required greater amounts of booze relative to controls, for intoxication. They postulated genetic link for alcoholism via reduced D2 function.

Personally, the circumstances I’d posit downregulation of D2 would probably be agonism on that receptor, (cocaine, amphetamine) via compensation. Just a guess honestly.

taesch

Taking a good dose of Progesterone (Progest-e) before drinking (about four pints of pilsner and 2 glasses of red wine) and after seems to have eliminated any chance of a hangover for me. If alcohol is estrogenic and progesterone antagonizes estrogen, then progesterone with Vitamin E should stop some estrogenic effects caused by drinking. What is the mechanism of gaining weight when combining alcohol and progesterone?

stsfut

I no longer have hangovers either!! I used to have my famous ‘second-day hangovers’ but no longer. Fructose (oj) before bed makes a huge difference. I think thiamine has made a big difference also. Lastly- ice cream the day after a binge (once every couple weekends) makes me feel so much better.

On a side I am getting kinda chubby. Perhaps I am being too extreme with the Peat diet (too much sugar).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals