I Need Your Thoughts On This Expensive Probiotic Supplement!

DANIEL

Looking to fix my gut, which I believe is causing my eczema.

Has anyone tried out this supplement: Seed Daily Synbiotic?

Even if you haven't, can you give your opinion on the strains/formula?

All input is appreciated. Thanks, everyone.

upload_2020-11-29_5-52-56.png
seed_label_101-700x2019_flat.png

mostlylurking

Oh, dear. Personally right now I am dealing with the inflammation attack from hell brought on by high lactic acid that originates in my gut so this product would be the last thing I would consider because it has lots and lots of lactobacillus in it which generates lactic acid. And fermented gellum gum, yum. Since I have several pomegranate bushes I can envision that pomegranate rind pretty clearly and it's not pretty. Think waste product from making pomegranate juice.

I'd like to suggest Ray Peat's famous raw shredded carrot salad, see here for more info: Ray Peat, PhD on the Benefits of the Raw Carrot – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) I think the info on endotoxin would be helpful here: Ray Peat, PhD on Endotoxin – Functional Performance Systems (FPS) Also, here's some search results for "eczema":Programmable Search Engine

Increasing your gut bacteria isn't recommended. The carrot salad will knock it back and give you a fighting chance.

mostlylurking

from the Ray Peat E-mail exchange here: Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki
Eczema
Is he getting enough calcium? Liver and thyroid would be better than trying to use separate vitamins---vitamin A deficiency is the most likely, but some B vitamins could be involved, and a vitamin A supplement can increase the need for thyroid hormone, which is increased anyway during the winter.

[Do you recommend someone try omega 6 supplementation from say safflower oil in an extreme case on eczema? Or will the omega 6 appear to heal the eczema because of lowered metabolism?] Slowing metabolism and causing inflammation are its two basic functions.

Maljam

Absolute crap shoot IMO. Far too many strains, how can you possibly know what is colonizing, what is being overwhelmed? That supplement isnt the answer tbh. If you want to go down the probiotic route, pick 1 or 2 well researched strains.

Gut issues can be fixed by reducing irritating foods (in my experience usually carbs or vegetables) eating enough saturated fat, eating gelatin (bone broths) Sometimes short fasts can help move things in the right direction but not necessarily healing.

The thing with gut issues is that they usually take a long time to heal, talking months rather than weeks. Sticking to a solid plan and not deviating is crucial. Progress is steady but slow, obviously if things go downhill then change course.

OP
DANIEL

DANIEL

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the replies.

When I tried the carrot salad recipe for a week, it didn't do much for me, and I disliked the taste.

The strains in this specific supplement are not supposed to colonize, just move through and offer benefits.

I tried Bacillus Subtilis and SBO-based probiotics from a supplement called Just Thrive, and all it did was make me bloated and constipated. I've also tried the B-vitamins, vitamin A, and a whole laundry list of supplements that would be exhaustive to list out.

A sterile gut is an impossible goal for a human, and an unadvisable one IMO. Most of the research points to microbiome diversity being advantageous. Rats with sterile guts live longer but have mental/social issues. Something about the pro-antibiotic approach here rubs me the wrong way, I've seen so many unhealthy people that have been put on courses upon courses of different antibiotics throughout their lives, and it's taken a toll on them.

I believe even taking aspirin consecutively for a couple of weeks also damaged my gut. I ignorantly never tied the bloody stool I previously had to the daily aspirin I had been taking.

If eczema = disturbed gut, then hopefully adding some good bacteria back in could alleviate my symptoms.

I'm gonna try this supplement out along with a Colostrum supplement (supposed to help heal leaky gut/gut lining) and see how it goes.

The strains in this Seed supplement have been found to help with endotoxin and intestinal permeability.

upload_2020-11-29_23-59-57.png

Maljam

When I tried the carrot salad recipe for a week, it didn't do much for me, and I disliked the taste.

The strains in this specific supplement are not supposed to colonize, just move through and offer benefits.

I tried Bacillus Subtilis and SBO-based probiotics from a supplement called Just Thrive, and all it did was make me bloated and constipated. I've also tried the B-vitamins, vitamin A, and a whole laundry list of supplements that would be exhaustive to list out.

A sterile gut is an impossible goal for a human, and an unadvisable one IMO. Most of the research points to microbiome diversity being advantageous. Rats with sterile guts live longer but have mental/social issues. Something about the pro-antibiotic approach here rubs me the wrong way, I've seen so many unhealthy people that have been put on courses upon courses of different antibiotics throughout their lives, and it's taken a toll on them.

I believe even taking aspirin consecutively for a couple of weeks also damaged my gut. I ignorantly never tied the bloody stool I previously had to the daily aspirin I had been taking.

If eczema = disturbed gut, then hopefully adding some good bacteria back in could alleviate my symptoms.

I'm gonna try this supplement out along with a Colostrum supplement (supposed to help heal leaky gut/gut lining) and see how it goes.

The strains in this Seed supplement have been found to help with endotoxin and intestinal permeability.

View attachment 20499

Have you got a stable diet that suits you yet? Getting your diet in order is the first step IMO, probiotics while you are still eating food that doesn't agree with you is just a waste of money. You will probably find you don't even want the probiotics when your diet suits you more. Maybe question your dietary beliefs if you are still struggling on your current diet.

Tzheng2012

View attachment 20499

Ive heard about Seed from podcasts, but never tried because the price. I think one of their marketing points is that it has pomegranite rind (which has ellagic acid) that when digested by gut bacteria turns into urolithin A, which is supposed to be very healthy. I just buy pomegranite extract powder with high levels of ellagic acid and take with probiotics for similar effects.

Id recommend also taking some kind of gut healing powder for ulcers like seeking health optimal GI or something with similar ingredients.

Something that really helped me balance my gut bacteria is to fast for 3 days on water or bone broth then take probiotics afterwards. The theory is to basically starve ALL bacteria good and bad down, then when you start eating again, eat clean and take probiotics to inoculate. Ive found just taking probiotics alone didnt do much for me because there was just too much bad bacteria so its like sending a small army against a huge one. Better to wipe everyone out first and start with a clean palate. Makes probiotics more effective since there is less to compete with.

If you want to try something alongside of a capsule probiotic, i would recommend something like Teraganix EM-Pro. Its a liquid probiotic with a special strain of probiotic called pnsb (purple non sulfer bactera). You can take a 16oz bottle of that and make 20x more by taking 1 part EM-Pro, 1 part molasses (non organic kind is safest because some organic molasses has calcium buffers which mess with fermentation), and 20 parts water. Then cover tightly and let it sit in a warm place for 3-5 days. If the ph has lowered to around 3-4, then let sit for 1 more week and then refrigerate product. I like this product just because of the sheer amount of probiotic liquid you can make, so you can take it multiple times a day (1-2oz per dose) without worrying about cost. 1 bottle makes around 3 gallons of drink.

And if you really want to go all out, get FC Cidal and Dysbiocide (should be taken together). Ive been using this and some other products for battling SIBO. You can get this and others for cheap from fullscript (https://www.maybeitsmercury.com/supplements), its what i use currently for some stuff, currently 30% off and free ship instead of 25% normally because cyber monday.

Healing the guts a long road if you really have problems and it usually helps more to attack it in multiple ways at once. Before i would try like herbal antibiotics, then try some probiotics, then some gut healing stuff, and i would notice almost no difference. So now i know attacking from all angles at once is much more productive than trying to save money and do one at a time, which ends up being a waste