I need to eat MORE

iLoveSugar

Ok, so it seems like this is my biggest recommendation from everywhere, so I am gonna do my darnest to eat MORE.

Couple things:

1) What about bloating and heartburn? When I eat, I get this bad, and it really doesn't subside. Just eat anyways and don't worry about the bloat/hard stomach/heartburn?

2) What should I strive for? 2,000 calories a day?

3) What about fatigue? What are the best foods to fight fatigue. I lay in bed and wanna sleep all day?

Gl;itch.e

Have you tried digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, betaine hcl etc?

SaltGirl

In regards to number 1 I always felt like salt helped me the most. When I get heartburn it usually means I have been slacking in the salt department.

Apple Cider Vinegar(in water) could also potentially help. I take it to prevent gallstones, but I find it helps with my digestion(I guess the acid breaks down the fats).

tara

iLoveSugar said:
Ok, so it seems like this is my biggest recommendation from everywhere, so I am gonna do my darnest to eat MORE.

Couple things:

1) What about bloating and heartburn? When I eat, I get this bad, and it really doesn't subside. Just eat anyways and don't worry about the bloat/hard stomach/heartburn?

3) What about fatigue? What are the best foods to fight fatigue. I lay in bed and wanna sleep all day?

Limitations: What I write here is not from Peat's writing, nor from my own experience, but from reading youreatopia.com and other sources.

If you can manage this I think you will be onto a recovery path.

1) This is not Peat's advice, but if you haven't read it you may find some of it relevant:
http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2014/2/ ... ubles.html

Have you done any research yourself on ways to address the hiatial hernia? I gather you have not had much help on it from mediacal professionals so far. Since it is a structural change that could be contributing to the problem, it might be interesting to know whether/how others have successfully resolved it, or how they live with it. I have not looked into this. There might be risks associated with this condition that affect your attempts to eat enough.

I would guess, frequent meals with high calorie density and as much salt as tastes good, responding to any cravings you might have and going with whatever seems easier to digest (not necessarily easy, just easier). (But go easy on the PUFA.)

Did you try the OJ monodiet for a short time? Results? If you haven't tried Wilfrid's diet idea, I still think it could be an interesting experiment at least for a short time, in the interests of finding things your digestion can handle more easily for a start.

2) Eventually I would think it would make sense to go for at least 3000 cal a day for an extended period, but it might not be possible immediately. You are unlikely to fully recover on as low as 2000/day - that is not enough to repair, maintain and run a healthy metabolism and body - but it sounds like it would be a step in the right direction.
If you have been a long way below 2000, then it would probably be wise to have someone who knows about the dangers of refeeding syndrome to supervise. There are apparently rare but life-threatening dangers associated with resuming a decent energy intake after long or severe undereating - I'd hate to have you succumb to something like that on your own at home with no-one to notice. You may want to increase by 200 cals every few days till you are up to 2000, then keep increasing as you can till you get to 3000. Can you find anyone in your area who has medical expertise in recovery from anorexia etc? I think once you've been getting at least 2000/day for a few days the most severe risks are past.

3) You are likely to be tired and need to rest. I wouldn't count on an immediate return of abundant energy - your body has got a lot of recovery to do, and to do that it needs rest. It's also probably good to move a bit, but keep it fairly gentle. Once recovery has progressed for a while, I would hope more energy would return, but it could well take at least a few weeks. You may be best avoiding extreme stress activities for a long time. You want your stress hormones calmed down enough that your body can get on with rebuilding, not in stress mode catabolising you further.

How do you go on milk smoothies with icecream and cream in them? OJ jellies? Potato chips baked in coconut oil? White rice? Cheese cake? Stewed fruit with sugar (and maybe butter and/or salt). Honey? Rich soups - maybe blended to make it easier, eg with oxtail base? Avoid drinking anything that doesn't have calories in it unless you are really thirsty. Butter/coconut oil/cream on anything that tastes better for it. Try to include a bit of liver, shell fish, white fish, juice, Mittir's fruit and vege broth etc to help get key nutrients. 80-100g protein (or more if you are hungry for it).

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Gl;itch.e said:
Have you tried digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar, betaine hcl etc?

Yes, all for only 1-3 days, didn't notice any effects so quit them. Ray mentioned in the past enzymes may help, but Betaine is likely dangerous and that ACV isn't entirely safe.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

SaltGirl said:
In regards to number 1 I always felt like salt helped me the most. When I get heartburn it usually means I have been slacking in the salt department.

Apple Cider Vinegar(in water) could also potentially help. I take it to prevent gallstones, but I find it helps with my digestion(I guess the acid breaks down the fats).

I try and get between 1-2 g of salt per day right now. Sometimes I struggle to get 1g.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

tara said:
iLoveSugar said:

Couple things:

Limitations: What I write here is not from Peat's writing, nor from my own experience, but from reading youreatopia.com and other sources.

If you can manage this I think you will be onto a recovery path.

1) This is not Peat's advice, but if you haven't read it you may find some of it relevant:
http://www.youreatopia.com/blog/2014/2/ ... ubles.html

Have you done any research yourself on ways to address the hiatial hernia? I gather you have not had much help on it from mediacal professionals so far. Since it is a structural change that could be contributing to the problem, it might be interesting to know whether/how others have successfully resolved it, or how they live with it. I have not looked into this. There might be risks associated with this condition that affect your attempts to eat enough.
I definitely agree with this--and maybe this is causing issues with me trying to eat enough. My heartburn, bloat, and reflux is awful.

I would guess, frequent meals with high calorie density and as much salt as tastes good, responding to any cravings you might have and going with whatever seems easier to digest (not necessarily easy, just easier). (But go easy on the PUFA.)

Did you try the OJ monodiet for a short time? Results? If you haven't tried Wilfrid's diet idea, I still think it could be an interesting experiment at least for a short time, in the interests of finding things your digestion can handle more easily for a start. OJ sat to hard on my stomach, and was to acidiy alone. Today I had a few meals of OJ+Milk+Ice Cream+sugar+salt+egg. It was pretty good. I absolutely hate rice, so that suggestion isn't very good at the moment.

2) Eventually I would think it would make sense to go for at least 3000 cal a day for an extended period, but it might not be possible immediately. You are unlikely to fully recover on as low as 2000/day - that is not enough to repair, maintain and run a healthy metabolism and body - but it sounds like it would be a step in the right direction.
If you have been a long way below 2000, then it would probably be wise to have someone who knows about the dangers of refeeding syndrome to supervise. There are apparently rare but life-threatening dangers associated with resuming a decent energy intake after long or severe undereating - I'd hate to have you succumb to something like that on your own at home with no-one to notice. You may want to increase by 200 cals every few days till you are up to 2000, then keep increasing as you can till you get to 3000. Can you find anyone in your area who has medical expertise in recovery from anorexia etc? I think once you've been getting at least 2000/day for a few days the most severe risks are past. I have for the most part, got 2,000 calories many days of the past year. Many days I got 2500.

3) You are likely to be tired and need to rest. I wouldn't count on an immediate return of abundant energy - your body has got a lot of recovery to do, and to do that it needs rest. It's also probably good to move a bit, but keep it fairly gentle. Once recovery has progressed for a while, I would hope more energy would return, but it could well take at least a few weeks. You may be best avoiding extreme stress activities for a long time. You want your stress hormones calmed down enough that your body can get on with rebuilding, not in stress mode catabolising you further.

How do you go on milk smoothies with icecream and cream in them? OJ jellies? Potato chips baked in coconut oil? White rice? Cheese cake? Stewed fruit with sugar (and maybe butter and/or salt). Honey? Rich soups - maybe blended to make it easier, eg with oxtail base? Avoid drinking anything that doesn't have calories in it unless you are really thirsty. Butter/coconut oil/cream on anything that tastes better for it. Try to include a bit of liver, shell fish, white fish, juice, Mittir's fruit and vege broth etc to help get key nutrients. 80-100g protein (or more if you are hungry for it).
I will use most all of the suggestions you listed (already do most).

tara

iLoveSugar said:
tara said:
iLoveSugar said:
I definitely agree with this--and maybe this is causing issues with me trying to eat enough. My heartburn, bloat, and reflux is awful.
I didn't look far, but saw a couple of references to manipulations that could be done by some trained chiros and some that might be for doing at home - refs to youtubes showing how. No idea how difficult/effective/safe. If it were me I'd look into such options further.
My guess is that even if you can improve the sensitivity of the rest of your GI tract and your metabolism in general despite the hernia, it will likely continue to give you digestive distress.

iLoveSugar said:
OJ sat to hard on my stomach, and was to acidiy alone. Today I had a few meals of OJ+Milk+Ice Cream+sugar+salt+egg. It was pretty good. I absolutely hate rice, so that suggestion isn't very good at the moment.
Were your oranges ripe and sweet?
Glad you found something working better today.
What about trading rice for potatoes - chips or mashed? Do you hate rice in every form? Rice noodles in simple oyster soup?

iLoveSugar said:
I have for the most part, got 2,000 calories many days of the past year. Many days I got 2500.
Glad to hear this - when you said eating more and asked about 2000 I assumed you meant you'd been eating much less. So the refeeding syndrome shouldn't be a risk.
Just another thought, for me, I don't feel good if I completely omit greens - I mostly puree mine and add them to stock-based soup.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Today I had milk/OJ shakes. I have a chronic bloat, dizzy and hard stomach. What helps this liquid digest better. My stomach seems full of water. Any supplements? Lots of salt? I put half tsp in shake. It was OJ/milk/salt/sugar/gelatin/ice cream/cherries.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

More of the same mess today, physically exhausted tired, crampy, and depressed.

HDD

Have you tried chicken neck broth? It is very warming.

It would give you some thyroid and you could add coconut oil, salt, white rice or potato and some chicken breast. This could also be gelatinous if you make it with chicken skin.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Since winter is right around the corner, I am going to pound the broth. I have tried a bunch in the past, but never really felt any good effects.

HDD

Bone broths can be healing but the chicken neck or fish stock has the added benefit of thyroid. Temperatures are still in the 90's where I live but making the broth is specifically for thyroid and gelatin so I continue to make it thru the warmer months.

Can you tolerate potatoes? Jenn ate only French fries made in coconut oil for six months because of digestion. They are easy to make and very tasty.

Did you try aloe Vera? I think Wilfrid posted a good brand and Jenn used it mixed in with carbonated real sugar sodas. Aloe is a very easy plant to grow. It could be peeled and put in a smoothie.

HDD

iLoveSugar said:
French fries to me is a foodgasm!! Mmmm

Lol. Try it. I bought a gadget to cut the potatoes and I keep a wok with coconut oil that I reuse. Have them with a Mexican coke!

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Haagendazendiane said:
iLoveSugar said:
French fries to me is a foodgasm!! Mmmm

Lol. Try it. I bought a gadget to cut the potatoes and I keep a wok with coconut oil that I reuse. Have them with a Mexican coke!

Do you possibly have a link to the gadget you are talking about, or something similar?

HDD

You're welcome! They are so good with lots of salt. The only problem I have is not making enough.

This recipe for chicken with rice is good. I love all the garlic the recipe calls for. You could eat white rice this way and adding egg yolk or cream at the end would up the calories/nutrients. Chicken neck broth could be made separate and added to your bowl. Jenn bought her necks online I will try to find the link. They don't deliver to the Southeast or I would purchase mine from them. The neck broth could be sipped throughout the day, like nibbling on t3. If you can boost your metabolism this way, your digestion should improve. Have you used magnesium? I use various amounts of magnesium citrate at bedtime when my stools are too hard and when I get muscle cramps.
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11/co ... cken-soup/

I just read you don't like rice. All rice? White rice with butter and salt? Homemade fried rice?

Ripe papaya and pineapple are known to have digestive enzymes. I get heartburn sometimes and recently decided it was from my gelatin. I cut back the amount I was using and it improved. I was only taking 1-2 Tbsp a day. I have Bernard & Jenson gelatin, which that might be why I have a problem with it.

Maybe a cheeseburger with the fries would be good if you like them? And a coke float! Mexican coke is Peaty. If you can't find them in your area, a regular coke does the same metabolically.