I Need 12-14 Hr Sleep A Night

Cirion

Even since starting Peat I need an INSANE amount of sleep to feel rested. *edit* I should clarify, this was an issue PRIOR to Peat, and not a new issue, so it's not caused by Peat'ing.

I just had 14 hrs of sleep yesterday... 9 pm - 11 am...

It's getting absurd, and making getting through the workweek challenging to say the least. I still manage to get upwards of 12 hr sleep on workweeks, but it basically means going straight to bed after work and I feel like I'm just sleeping my life away. It's also causing productivity issues at work, and I'm always quite late to work (luckily, I have the flexibility to do so) which annoys one of my older coworkers.

I am new to Peat, and it seems to still be an issue while Peat'ing as well. Been doing Peat for around 4 days now (so still kinda new).

Doing the standard, OJ,milk/cheese,eggs,honey,fruit, etc, sweet potatoes in the evening to keep my stomach full.

I'm guessing it's due to glucose storage problems? Because it does usually improve significantly upon loading up on sugar first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
Sleep Cycle alarm clock

Check the quality of your sleep with this app, you could be sleeping a lot less than you think. I want to scream from the rooftops how good this app is, I don't know what kind of code wizardry they use but the microphone works so much better than any kind of accelerometer. The curves are perfectly in agreement with what I remember from my sleep, and not once has the app waked me up during deep sleep (it waits until you are in light sleep to sound the alarm clock).

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Sleep Cycle alarm clock

Check the quality of your sleep with this app, you could be sleeping a lot less than you think. I want to scream from the rooftops how good this app is, I don't know what kind of code wizardry they use but the microphone works so much better than any kind of accelerometer. The curves are perfectly in agreement with what I remember from my sleep, and not once has the app waked me up during deep sleep (it waits until you are in light sleep to sound the alarm clock).

Thanks, I'll try it out!

It's worth noting too that I have moderate sleep apnea, but I wear a CPAP and my machine tracks Apnea events etc - ever since wearing CPAP, almost all apnea events have cleared (I have a machine that tracks a lot of data, I think I'm down to something like maybe 2 apnea events per hour instead of the 28-29 I had prior to CPAP) so I doubt that's the issue. It IS possible however that simple wearing the mask is a distraction (I do often have to fiddle with my stupid mask to make it comfortable), but I'm mostly used to it now after having worn it for months. I might switch to the over the nose only version instead of the over the whole face (which is what I use now) just because I think it'd be less invasive/annoying.

The app also recognizes snoring which I think is crazy. It does freak me out to see I snore a couple times even on good nights, and I never considered myself a snorer.

raypeatclips

Sleep Cycle alarm clock

Interesting. I have downloaded the app and will try it out tonight

Luckytype

Sleep Cycle alarm clock

Is your phone in a case by chance? Mine is kept in a lifeproof and i try to keep it far from my head. Any issues in your time with it?

Is your phone in a case by chance? Mine is kept in a lifeproof and i try to keep it far from my head. Any issues in your time with it?
Is that the anti-EMF case? I keep airplane mode for the radiation.

raypeatclips

First night of sleep cycle was interesting, said I was awake, or very close to being awake at 4am which I don't remember. I woke up around 15 minutes before the alarm was supposed to wake me up so I didn't experience that, but I must be in a light sleep phase anyway if I was close to waking time? Interesting to have a little graph to wake up and look at in the mornings.

First night of sleep cycle was interesting, said I was awake, or very close to being awake at 4am which I don't remember. I woke up around 15 minutes before the alarm was supposed to wake me up so I didn't experience that, but I must be in a light sleep phase anyway if I was close to waking time? Interesting to have a little graph to wake up and look at in the mornings.
This is interesting; are the curves smooth or are there sharp angles or jagged lines? These usually indicate an external noise. Mine does this when my mic glitches and starts making a static sound.

raypeatclips

This is interesting; are the curves smooth or are there sharp angles or jagged lines? These usually indicate an external noise. Mine does this when my mic glitches and starts making a static sound.

Here's a screenshot.
27297101634c10c2a6a0a615058be48d328780120addfde63a2e51b79f5cdaebd9f81102.jpg

Hi Cirion,

I very recently got past a bad 9 months or so where this was the norm for me as well, whenever I had the chance I would sleep for 10 to 14 hours. Despite following the standard RP way (getting enough calories, extra fructose, avoiding pufa etc) I still was not having great sleep, what really seemed to help me the most for this was starting on Thiamine Mononitrate and balancing my minerals. Through a lot of trial and error I found that my body responded extremely well to low dose Lithium and Zinc. I had to have been extremely deficient because the turn around I have seen now with Thiamine Lithium Zinc has been pretty breathtaking , I actually want to get out of bed now with just 7 hours of sleep, weeks ago that would have been unfathomable. I also make sure I get enough Magnesium, Salt, Potassium, Calcium, Chromium, Selenium, Iodine, etc etc etc, but none of those made any significant impact for me with sleep quality and feeling energetic right out of bed (I likely did not have a major deficiency).

I feel very naive for not knowing about Lithium sooner. It more than anything I have tried made the most impact in the least amount of time with just a tiny dose. Apparently taking in caffeine and sodium excretes lithium and with low lithium your ability to use b12 and b9 is very limited. Good paper here: http://www.eidon.com/Lithium-Nutrient.pdf

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Hi Cirion,

I very recently got past a bad 9 months or so where this was the norm for me as well, whenever I had the chance I would sleep for 10 to 14 hours. Despite following the standard RP way (getting enough calories, extra fructose, avoiding pufa etc) I still was not having great sleep, what really seemed to help me the most for this was starting on Thiamine Mononitrate and balancing my minerals. Through a lot of trial and error I found that my body responded extremely well to low dose Lithium and Zinc. I had to have been extremely deficient because the turn around I have seen now with Thiamine Lithium Zinc has been pretty breathtaking , I actually want to get out of bed now with just 7 hours of sleep, weeks ago that would have been unfathomable. I also make sure I get enough Magnesium, Salt, Potassium, Calcium, Chromium, Selenium, Iodine, etc etc etc, but none of those made any significant impact for me with sleep quality and feeling energetic right out of bed (I likely did not have a major deficiency).

I feel very naive for not knowing about Lithium sooner. It more than anything I have tried made the most impact in the least amount of time with just a tiny dose. Apparently taking in caffeine and sodium excretes lithium and with low lithium your ability to use b12 and b9 is very limited. Good paper here: http://www.eidon.com/Lithium-Nutrient.pdf

I guess I can try Lithium, can't hurt. I'm gonna try that app on my phone tonight as well. I'm sorta familiar with it since my ex-gf was bipolar and took that stuff (but mega-dosage, not the small amounts from normal supplements), didn't know it could be useful for normal people though.

I think a lot of my problems are simply that I'm not yet adapted yet to Peat too, my glucose levels crash quickly after intaking sugar. I can't seem to get by without a f*** ton of carbs, I had 840g carbs yesterday... Literally the whole day I was constantly either drinking sugary drinks or munching on fruit. I would go a max of 30 minutes without eating or drinking something. I'm a mess I think lol. Basically need an IV machine to constantly pump me with sugar...

I think my bodyfat is contributing as well. I'm not what you would say "Fat" per-se but I have a good amount of bodyfat in my ab region in particular. It's enough to cause plenty of FFA's no doubt though, which is gonna cause issues. Maybe I just have too much pufa stored up. I was eating upwards of 150g fat a day, which several around here have said probably too much, especially with my sky high carb intake. I'm trying to limit it to around 50g fat a day now, mostly from saturated fats.

raypeatclips

I guess I can try Lithium, can't hurt. I'm gonna try that app on my phone tonight as well. I'm sorta familiar with it since my ex-gf was bipolar and took that stuff (but mega-dosage, not the small amounts from normal supplements), didn't know it could be useful for normal people though.

I think a lot of my problems are simply that I'm not yet adapted yet to Peat too, my glucose levels crash quickly after intaking sugar. I can't seem to get by without a f*** ton of carbs, I had 840g carbs yesterday... Literally the whole day I was constantly either drinking sugary drinks or munching on fruit. I would go a max of 30 minutes without eating or drinking something. I'm a mess I think lol. Basically need an IV machine to constantly pump me with sugar...

I think my bodyfat is contributing as well. I'm not what you would say "Fat" per-se but I have a good amount of bodyfat in my ab region in particular. It's enough to cause plenty of FFA's no doubt though, which is gonna cause issues. Maybe I just have too much pufa stored up. I was eating upwards of 150g fat a day, which several around here have said probably too much, especially with my sky high carb intake. I'm trying to limit it to around 50g fat a day now, mostly from saturated fats.

840g of carbs a day is far from normal. Have you tried eating starch? What happens? Have you tried eating more fat, what happens? You shouldn't be eating every 30 mins.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

840g of carbs a day is far from normal. Have you tried eating starch? What happens? Have you tried eating more fat, what happens? You shouldn't be eating every 30 mins.

Starch fills me up better, and gives me more stable energy generally, but doesn't ever really give me the "high" in moods that sugar does sometimes and honestly, starch usually kills my libido too, so I think starch isn't ideal for me. Even the gluten-free stuff like white rice doesn't do much for me in that regard. Peat said that sugar (fruit, fruit juices, at least) is superior to starch, even the "better" (more nutritious) starches like potatoes, no?

I do have a pretty fast metabolism. I can often get away with 4000 calories without gaining much / any weight. I'm 6'0'', 200 lbs, maybe 15% bodyfat.

Didn't Peat say that while you're healing, your liver may not be efficient at storing glucose, thus will burn what little it is able to store quickly, and require a re-fill, on a frequent basis?

Fat helps fill me up as well. This is why I like to save it until bedtime, so I can get through the night. If I don't care about my fat intake, I can easily eat 150g+ fat, on top of a lot of carbohydrates.

In terms of both energy & libido, High fat (up to 300g a day), Keto / low carb has actually been the diet I've done best on in terms of libido, and energy. I ended up abandoning it though, because I started to gain bodyfat & my recovery from workouts was suboptimal, so that's why I wanted to try something different and try high carb.

So far on high carb, even at 4000+ calories a day average my libido has been really weak, not like what 4000 calories a day on pure fat did for me.

I am on Lithium Aspartate, 5mg around bed Mon - Friday, I'm amazed by it, I felt like 5 years younger just a few days after taking it.

If you haven't already looked in to them yet: Taurine and Thiamine as a daily way of smoothing out carb processing. In layman's terms Taurine helps to blunt the feeling that you are crashing and Thiamine helps with the general utilization of carbs*. I was having difficulty like you and basically crashing from any source of food before I got on to Thiamine. Now when I eat I do not feel any metabolic burden / lazy, I know it was the Thiamine, it kicked in within like a day of taking it and that was all I changed.

*edit: it's not just involved in carbs, also bcaa and fatty acids. No wonder all food was making me tired then, hah. Good breakdown on: Thiamin

Last edited:

raypeatclips

Starch fills me up better, and gives me more stable energy generally, but doesn't ever really give me the "high" in moods that sugar does sometimes and honestly, starch usually kills my libido too, so I think starch isn't ideal for me. Even the gluten-free stuff like white rice doesn't do much for me in that regard. Peat said that sugar (fruit, fruit juices, at least) is superior to starch, even the "better" (more nutritious) starches like potatoes, no?

I do have a pretty fast metabolism. I can often get away with 4000 calories without gaining much / any weight. I'm 6'0'', 200 lbs, maybe 15% bodyfat.

Didn't Peat say that while you're healing, your liver may not be efficient at storing glucose, thus will burn what little it is able to store quickly, and require a re-fill, on a frequent basis?

Fat helps fill me up as well. This is why I like to save it until bedtime, so I can get through the night. If I don't care about my fat intake, I can easily eat 150g+ fat, on top of a lot of carbohydrates.

In terms of both energy & libido, High fat (up to 300g a day), Keto / low carb has actually been the diet I've done best on in terms of libido, and energy. I ended up abandoning it though, because I started to gain bodyfat & my recovery from workouts was suboptimal, so that's why I wanted to try something different and try high carb.

So far on high carb, even at 4000+ calories a day average my libido has been really weak, not like what 4000 calories a day on pure fat did for me.

What happens to you if you don't eat every 30 minutes?

OP
Cirion

Cirion

What happens to you if you don't eat every 30 minutes?

Either I get really hungry, low energy/fatigue, depression/moody, or all three of the above at once... although, usually I haven't Mega dosed sugar in one meal, which is worth attempting. Isn't this pointless to do if your glucose metabolism is poor though? It's not going to be able to store all this to use efficiently is it? How does one manage to get that much sugar so quickly, short of liquids (milk,oj) or honey, or taking a spoon to a container of sugar? Part of the reason for my always munching on fruit is that for a 4000 calorie diet, even a whole watermelon (as an example) is a mere 500 calories, and takes a while to eat lol. Ironically, I think perhaps my liquids may be too high - because I end up with lots of clear pee (yesterday 64 oz of milk and 64 oz of OJ, so 128oz of water just from liquids not counting fruit water content)

*edit* Looked at my chronometer for yesterday. Counting fruit looks like I was at over 200 OZ of water. I'm gonna guess this is just too much... it sounds like too much... lol

The place where I got my hormonal panel done some time back, the Dr. suggested I had mineral problems. Thus, I'm guessing that lots of liquids are a bad idea for me? Less liquids = better storage of minerals? That means though I basically gotta eat half a dozen watermelons a day... that's just not very practical lol... or 20-30 bananas... etc... lol

Even as I write this, I feel my mood shifting to a depression, and it's only been 20 minutes since I had carbs.

Last edited:
The place where I got my hormonal panel done some time back, the Dr. suggested I had mineral problems. Thus, I'm guessing that lots of liquids are a bad idea for me? Less liquids = better storage of minerals? That means though I basically gotta eat half a dozen watermelons a day... that's just not very practical lol... or 20-30 bananas... etc... lol

Do you take a lot of salt throughout the day? I have found 1/2 teaspoon of salt first thing in the morning with just 5 ounces of water is a helpful way to prevent excessive thirst / urination. For minerals, a good selection of supplements or eating liver once a week is key.

OP
Cirion

Cirion

Do you take a lot of salt throughout the day? I have found 1/2 teaspoon of salt first thing in the morning with just 5 ounces of water is a helpful way to prevent excessive thirst / urination. For minerals, a good selection of supplements or eating liver once a week is key.

I think between this and what I have said before, I think we're onto something here. I think I need more salt than I have been getting. I say that, because I often find my fatigue is bad in the morning leading into the afternoon, and sometimes improves a little later when I shift from liquid calories to solids (fruits generally) - and, my body temperature went up significantly when I had a whole watermelon and made sure to salt it generously with Himalayan pink salt. I measured my temperature after that and it was 100F, with 100 BPM HR as well (this was yesterday).

I know Peat says that OJ and Milk are mineral neutral liquids, but I think I'd disagree with this now... Sure, milk has about 125mg sodium or so per 8 oz, but really, that's not much, especially when you consider I had over 16,000 mg of potassium yesterday. I don't know what the optimal ratio of sodium to potassium is, but I'm gonna take a guess and say it probably needs to be significantly more than what you're getting in a few cups of milk a day.

It's probably worth noting that I have been pretty bloated lately as well. Seems like bloating, water retention, too much water intake, mineral problems seem to be all related.

I get the reasonings behind eating lots of fruit/sugar, but is there such a thing as too much fruit? I feel like my 16,000 mg of potassium may be too much... Or, is it just the ratio of sodium to potassium that matters, not so much the total intake of one or the other?

Last edited: