I keep tearing my hamstring when I do sprints

Xavage

Hi,

I have torn and strained my hamstring many times in the last 3 years fron doing sprints.

Any advice on how to stop this?

Ben.

This is realy hard to give a detailed answer to without seeing you or your body. perhaps you can show a picture of you standing in a relaxed position and idealy a video of you running (face can be blurred out).

Sounds a little like from either a structural or postural point of view to be a dysfunction present. Which means whenever you sprint there are structures/muscles either prevented to properly generate the force or/and they suffer unecessary strain.

w/e the reason is, i would defeniately stop sprinting until you fixed this or you'll just end up messing up your muscles/joints needlessly ... i know ... i messed up my shoulder/shoulderblades and parts of my spine because of it.

Thats not something you learn from the hustle fitness industry aka the "just hit the gym bro" culture.
Maybe check out kneesovertoesguy for some great excercises.

Michael Mohn

This guy focuses on knee mobility but his exercises can be applied to all joints and muscles.

Iceman2016

When I sprint on flat ground (I prefer hills, less impact/chance of injury), I really focus on warming up. I will walk for maybe five minutes, then jog for a bit. I then do a few sets of butt-kicks for 20 yards or so to get the hammies firing. Then, I gradually work up to full speed sprints, ie. 6-8 sprints at maybe 30%-50% max effort. When it starts to feel like I am fast and light (happy CNS), I will work up to 80%-90% max speed for five to ten sprints, anywhere from 40-80 yards. I am 42 and I sprint twice a week, no issues. I can't emphasize warming up enough. Sprinting is very demanding, but incredibly beneficial.

LA

Hi,

I have torn and strained my hamstring many times in the last 3 years fron doing sprints.

3 years wow. Have you ever considered taking a long break from sprints and switching to some type of Martial Arts like Tai Chi? Even the warm up exercises are very good for the body and will give you a more even distribution of muscle, plus good posture, strength etc. When your body, muscles and spine are aligned properly then you can return to sprinting. Just a thought since pain is not good for us and sprinting can eventually also hurt the knees too. In some places there are people teaching Tai Chi in the parks for a donation. Best wishes.

K

Kaur Singh

The chronic tightness in my hamstrings has been loosening up as my thyroid function is improving.

I can bend, squat, and sit with legs stretched before me with ease now.
No exercise or 'stretching' involved
Achieved by eliminating muscle meats, fish, seafood - reducing serotonin -
and thyroid supp, etc.

I am waiting to begin exercise/posture rehabilitation until my overall high resting tone of muscles reduces a bit more.
Otherwise, I end up with injuries and displaced joints.

DMF

Have you tried speedwork on soft grassy surfaces - in your barefeet? It would allow for a more natural "planting" of legs/leg muscles.
I myself am trying to get back into running after a many year absence - and oh how I've lost so much. However, these "grassruns" can be therapeutic.

Carrum

Hi,

You're probably not doing enough work on your hamstrings to keep them in balance with the strength you have gained in your quads from the sprinting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals