I just read more than 50% of American women and 25% of American men have bunions. What the ****? What is the reason?

Ildikó

I suppose the untreated flat feet is the main cause. Since i use shoe insert to support my arch my bunion is getting better.

akgrrrl

I suppose the untreated flat feet is the main cause. Since i use shoe insert to support my arch my bunion is getting better.
That cannot be everyones cause. I and my mother and sister have the highest instep and arch EVER. I have never been able to wear any slip on shoe like a loafer, only laceups.

EJG2112

My feet were headed to bunion-shaped until I had a kid and was barefoot 90% of the time. My feet have spread out a ton and my big toe is going back to where it should be.
This. - There is no better way to avoid bunions and begin to heal bunions and other foot deformities than simply walking around barefoot. Thankfully, I went barefoot a lot as a kid or wore flip flops. I hated shoes and socks and I still do. Likely from being barefoot so often, my feet are very wide and I would definitely have issues trying to force them into normal shoes. Nike and New Balance make a few extra-wide shoes that are wide enough to be comfortable enough and not cause any issues. The few times I have tried to fit into smaller shoes, it did not take long to start getting pain in the big toe joint and the start of ingrown toenail as well. Take off the shoes and in a matter of days everything is back to normal again.

Many who never go barefoot tend to land on their heels first, instead of the balls of their feet. Some people literally need to learn now to walk correctly all over again. I highly recommend walking in sand to strengthen feet. Other exercises such as calf raises are very good, done barefoot, of course, and toe splaying. Seems like many can't do this at all, and if they can it's painful. It should eventually become easy and effortless as splaying the fingers on your hands. One should eventually - easily be able to pick up marbles, hand towels, and other items off the floor with their feet.

Yes, it's more difficult to find wide shoes in kids sizes and I'm guessing that is a big issue with women's shoes as well.

OP
I

ironfist

Now, are you saying you should start with the ball of your foot when you walk? Would the heel ever come down at all? That sounds like walking on tiptoes.

How does the ball of the foot touch the ground first when walking?

EJG2112

Now, are you saying you should start with the ball of your foot when you walk? Would the heel ever come down at all? That sounds like walking on tiptoes.

How does the ball of the foot touch the ground first when walking?
It's not as extreme as walking on "tiptoe" Here are a few videos that show what I'm talking about. Sorry if I was not able to explain it well enough.

Heel strike vs forefoot strike. The latter being optimal for barefoot running / walking and foot health.

Barefoot Heel Strike Running with Force - Close-Up, Slow Motion​

View: https://youtu.be/wuBLkKnNKm4

Barefoot Forefoot Strike Running with Force - Close-Up​

View: https://youtu.be/r6YhVN_YIUk

Experienced Barefoot Runner, Forefoot Strike Running - Slow Motion​

View: https://youtu.be/L8AdnwZB8Ww

Many who run in shoes have developed bad habits like heel striking that would be painful and cause injuries if running barefoot. Even though shoes somewhat dampen the shock of heel strikes, sometimes even shod runners will eventually experience foot / leg / hip / back pain from running this way.

Also, regarding walking on "tiptoe" A great exercise for the feet / calves is the farmer's walk exercise on tiptoe. I hold two 40lb dumbbells' at my sides and walk around on the balls of my feet. For many, starting out using no extra weight would be best. If even that is too difficult, just doing calf raises with or without holding weights is good. There are several other exercises (if done barefoot) that will restore some, most, or all of the natural foot function, depending on a persons age, health, and how much damage has already been done.

A-Tim

I disagree that it is ideal to forefoot strike in all situations. It seems to me that ideal strike is a function of movement speed. If walking, heel strike is normal and ideal. If running forefoot strike is better.

I'm just a rando with no expertise, so feel free to ignore my advice. But I am going to continue walking via heel strike, both when I'm wearing shoes and when I'm walking barefoot. Walking around on the balls of your feet doesn't make sense.

LLight

Another publication about the link between hypothyroidism and hallux valgus.

Sevaan

It may have something to do with putting one's feet inside a deforming apparatus, and then applying the force of the entire weight of one's body on said apparatus throughout the day, every day, since childhood.

Either that or some complex soyence involving quantum-genetics.

Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 19-11-39 https __i.redd.it_b7ghjb8advj51.jpg.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals