I just read more than 50% of American women and 25% of American men have bunions. What the ****? What is the reason?

haidut

Forum Supporter
You can't tell me this is normal.

It is NOT normal. My guess is that it is due to high estrogen as that steroid is known to cause bone/joint deformities, especially in the face but in other body parts too.

Herbie

75% of people won't be able to run away or walk long distances when the SHTF.

LLight

Thyroid disease was present in 16 of 26 patients (61.5%) with a diagnosis of hallux valgus (OR 7.3, CI[3.16-16.99], p < 0.0001). Lesser toe deformities, including hammertoes, mallet toes, bunionettes and crossover toes, were also significantly associated with thyroid disease (OR 5.45, CI[1.83-16.26], p < 0.002).

Jib

Look into Correct Toes.

Shoes definitely play a significant role. Too tight and cause the feet to deform, basically. Ideally these issues wouldn't happen in the first place, once things are in motion it's much harder or impossible to cure. Things like Correct Toes can help but the root cause is everything that led to it in the first place.

I don't doubt nutrition plays a significant role as well.

I'm.No.One

It's hugely to do with shoes & how they absolutely destroyed our natural foot structure.

Especially women, we're expected to wear absolutely ridiculous shoes that essentially make us walk solely on the front of our feet...

Feet muscles are also then weekend with synthetic arch support, the muscle atrophies because a doctor sholes insert holds it up for us versus the muscle doing it's job.

I've spent the last 6 months repairing my feet to how they would naturally occur, I went from not being able to stand barefoot on a hard surface for more than 10-15 mins before pain set in to absolutely zero discomfort in my feet.

Granted I didn't have bunions, but still.

I mainly fixed my issues with these silicone toe things you wear that correctly reposition toe placement & wearing earth runner grounding sandals whenever I'm able.

Nicole W.

You can't tell me this is normal.
FWIW: according to my acupuncturist, it’s “normal” if your second toe from the big toe is longer than your big toe. I think it changes how a person walks and this leads to bunions. Bunions are a very common occurrence that are not necessarily painful or impede movement.

I have painless bunions and my second toe is longer than my big toe on both feet

. Does anyone else have this combination? I’ve always wanted to confirm if this actually could be the cause.

sunny

It's hugely to do with shoes & how they absolutely destroyed our natural foot structure.

Especially women, we're expected to wear absolutely ridiculous shoes that essentially make us walk solely on the front of our feet...

Feet muscles are also then weekend with synthetic arch support, the muscle atrophies because a doctor sholes insert holds it up for us versus the muscle doing it's job.

I've spent the last 6 months repairing my feet to how they would naturally occur, I went from not being able to stand barefoot on a hard surface for more than 10-15 mins before pain set in to absolutely zero discomfort in my feet.

Granted I didn't have bunions, but still.

I mainly fixed my issues with these silicone toe things you wear that correctly reposition toe placement & wearing earth runner grounding sandals whenever I'm able.
Thanks for the tip on the earth runners, those look perfect. ?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Shoes, yes. Hormones do affect the resilience but the direct cause is modern shoe shape.

Toe-Box-jpeg.jpg

About 5 years ago, I noticed my big toe starting to "conform". I researched it and took action. Now my toes are free.

I did use correct-toes and cheaper contractions on and off for about a year. I also did some toe / feet exercises and started wearing only barefoot / minimalist shoes with toe socks. My feet look better and my biomechanics have greatly improved.

I point you to www.anyasreviews.com for research and recommendations.

My favorites shoe brands are now Belenka and vivo barefoot. Many others are good.

Free them toes. Say no to tyranny.

GTW

Shoe shape, I suspect for many. But in my case banging into obstacles with the side of the foot was contributing factor.

akgrrrl

Shoe shape for sure. My Mom, bunions both feet from 1960s spike heel, grandma bunions one hammertoe one "soft" bunion from 1940s high fashion secretary heel, my younger sister surgery both feet hammertoes 1980s-90s airline employee heels. I have one bunion now largely painless because finally I get wide shoes. My Dad was 6'ft tall with only size 8 shoe extra wide foot which I inherited. Most of my life squeezed into narrow shoes to keep the heel and midline on my foot else a 1.5 sizes larger flopped around

Koveras

If anyone needs a good foot strength program check out https://vitalstrengthphysiology.com/footfoundations/

Tore a ligament in my left ankle, had atrophy in that foot due to nerve impingement (previous disc injury) and cramped feet on both sides from regular shoes and never paying attention to them. Especially after the torn ligament started to notice a lot more compensations and asymmetries in lifting and sports.

Started off with some minimal shoes during low intensity activities (walking) and toe spacers when resting at home and then started looking for ways to strengthen the different muscles in the foot and calves.

Didn't realize in the past how much the best athletes leverage different parts of the foot to do everything either.

No issues anymore and my feet are jacked.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals