I hope this is not carpal syndrome

toddy

It's been 2 weeks since my wrist is in pain until now. I work at the office and facing a computer every day. I search at the internet about wrist pain I just read all about carpal tunnel syndrome. I hope this is not carpal. How can I prevent this?

tara

Welcome toddy :welcome

Carpal tunnel is one possibility; there are others. Overuse injuries can become severe if they are not attended to early. Don't just keep forcing yourself to do the work that hurts it as the pain gets worse, or you risk doing long term damage and not being able to use them at all for a longer while. I'd suggest getting a physio or whoever is appropriate where you are to help assess whether it is carpal tunnel or something else. If pain persists after you stop doing the activity that triggers it, this is a strong warning sign that damage is occuring, and you need to address it quickly.
I've had pain near my wrists occasionally when I've had to do unusually much intensive keyboard work for a while, but I don't think it was carpal tunnel. If this is what gets you, you may be able to find strategies to reduce the load, which may or may not be enough to resolve the pain. You may be able to learn more keyboard shortcuts, change your position relative to keyboard so that your hands can relax more, and maybe support wrists on a wrist pad and/or use a different shaped keyboard.

If it is carpal tunnel, there could be a metabolic component, as well as a mechanical one.
Ray Peat mentions tunnel syndromes (includes carpal tunnel) in a couple of is articles. Might be a place to start learning about it.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gr ... mone.shtml

You could take a look around this forum, maybe starting in the diet subforum, to get an idea about some of the approaches people here are trying to improve general metabolism, and sometimes more specific issues.
Red light may be helpful - orange -through infrared from sunlight or strong (or close) incandescant light bulb.

First aid: you may be able to give yourself a little temporary relief by immersing in ice water for a few minutes. Not sure whether Peat would approve this or not.

AlaskaJono

I have had carpal tunnel syndrome (RSI) and the remedy simply is laying off of the activities which promote it. I used a cream (not in the USA) which was over the counter and started with a V....anyhow helped with swelling and pain temporarily. My situation took about 3 weeks to resolve, and it was from working too much with my grip/wrist strength/ without 2 days off in a row. You can try arnica creams, ice water as above, aspirin, etc..

Is your situation better on Sunday night? After 48 hours of not doing super computer?

So if you are a computer jockey now, try and change your stance and wrist angles frequently in the day. I did have that kind of office job for 2 years, and it was vital that I have a sitting station, and then a standing station. I did that by using a cardboard box of the right height for my wrists on the keyboard. That particular angle of the arm/wrist is vital to change up a bit, AND to not have it too much flexed in either position. I changed every 45 min to hour ( up / down / up /down, etc.).
Also acupuncture helps greatly. I am an acupuncturist, so.... I did help many folks with their RSI situation. But bottom line is to change your physical postion.
Also, doing some excercise for your shoulder strength and arm strength and upper body strength can help your wrist (strength).

Let us know how it goes.

JamesGatz

To fix this you just need to get an ergonomic mouse and ergonomic keyboard like below:

99A51291-F977-477C-ACE2-1838FE65DFE8.jpeg

3DD5C648-B410-4372-BF4E-92FE3ECB6338.jpeg

Carpal tunnel is caused by keeping your wrists angled in a horizontal position - ergonomic products change your wrist to a vertically angled position

Its fully curable but the set-up definitely needs to change