I Have Tried It All: T4, T3-only, T3/T4-combo, NDT. Here I Share What I Learned

What drug are you using to replace thyroid?

• T3

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • T4

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • T3+T4 (synthetic)

Votes: 47 40.2%
  • NDT

Votes: 31 26.5%

• Total voters

thingsvarious

I am a med student in my last year. For years I have been replacing multiple of my hormones.

Thyroid was the first hormone I started to replace. I have tried it all: T4, T3-only, T3/T4-combo, NDT. Here I share what I learned.

Because there is just so much misinformation around, I wrote guides about what I have learned along the way. Had I known what I know now, it would have saved me lots of time, money, happiness, effort, researching, experimenting. And suffering.

Here is a guide how I´d go about replacing thyroid. Most importantly, how to do it safely. What and how to check for low cortisol, what products to choose. And important things to keep in mind.

How To Replace Thyroid Hormones.

Enjoy. I hope some of you find value in it .

Atman

That's a solid write up.
I guess you probably know that Ray would disagree with the statement about aging.
Personally I am using T3 successfully for short periods to reset/boost my metabolism.

Out of curiosity:
What are you going to do after finishing medical school? Will you try to use Peat's work in practise?

OP
thingsvarious

thingsvarious

I´ll use some of it. I am a fan of Peter Attia´s approach to health/longevity/medicine

Peroxphos

Interesting and concise, thanks.

So if I understand correctly:
- you agree with the pure T3 therapies that some people advocate to reset T3 sensitivity / rT3 excess
- and after this sensitivity is restored, you believe NDT is better all-in-all for the ratio and the sustained released effect.

It's interesting that you, like many thyroid-supplementation proponents, emphasize that higher cortisol is needed to support higher thyroid levels and higher thyroid function (some believe you need to supplement hydrocortisone if cortisol is too low), whereas I understand that Peat and haidut reckon cortisol is often too high and should be minimized in order to run on thyroid hormones - sugar ox-phos, and not stress hormones - lactic acid formation - fat oxidation promoted by cortisol.

Waynish

How to replace thyroid hormones: fix the liver. Breath deeply & properly.

I've tried everything also. What's working well for me is T4 and T3. Pure T3 didn't work and I read and followed Willson's protocol but it wasn't for me. Now I'm doing much better on mixed T3 and T4, even better than on NDT.

Peroxphos

I've tried everything also. What's working well for me is T4 and T3. Pure T3 didn't work and I read and followed Willson's protocol but it wasn't for me. Now I'm doing much better on mixed T3 and T4, even better than on NDT.

@ecstatichamster Do you think your current T3+T4 dose would work as well, if you had not done the Wilson reset of the sensitivity?

OP
thingsvarious

thingsvarious

Interesting and concise, thanks.

So if I understand correctly:
- you agree with the pure T3 therapies that some people advocate to reset T3 sensitivity / rT3 excess
- and after this sensitivity is restored, you believe NDT is better all-in-all for the ratio and the sustained released effect.

It's interesting that you, like many thyroid-supplementation proponents, emphasize that higher cortisol is needed to support higher thyroid levels and higher thyroid function (some believe you need to supplement hydrocortisone if cortisol is too low), whereas I understand that Peat and haidut reckon cortisol is often too high and should be minimized in order to run on thyroid hormones - sugar ox-phos, and not stress hormones - lactic acid formation - fat oxidation promoted by cortisol.

1) Yes. I was skeptical myself. I tried it. It worked wonders. How exactly it worked, I don´t know, but it did. I was extremely scientific about it, certainly no placebo.
2) Yes, I and multiple people I think highly of (which have all tried multiple types of thyroid therapy) think that NDT is best (for the average person)

No, I did a 24h urine cortisol and free C (plasma). My cortisol was certainly low. Adrenaline is what is high and most people mistake C for adrenaline.

Wilfrid

I really loved reading your articles especially the one on adrenals.
My experience exactly matches yours in terms of internal feelings while on small dose HC. And by low dose I mean something like 3,75 mg of it (I take 2/3 of the dose around 08 am and the other 1/3 at lunch.).
Taking HC was definitely a lifechanger.
The only difference is that I add 50 mg of pregnenolone and a bit of T4 (12,5 mcg) before bed to my HC protocol.
I can feel the difference when I don’t take the preg and T4.

Vileplume

Hi Hamster, what ratio T4:T3 has worked best for you? Dosage?

You take 6 & 2/3 grains daily? Wowzer

so I wake still around 97.4F. or so. My temps rise to 98.6 - 99 by the afternoon. Resting HR is around 78 or so. My temps fall under 98F when I'm ready for sleep.

I am a little more out of breath when I exercise. But hopefully that will pass. Otherwise I feel really good this way.

JKX

My results were crap until I introduced small doses of cortisone acetate.
At that point small amounts of pregnenolone would have made all the difference IMO. Far safer and much more beneficial than cortisol derivatives.