I Have Started And Stopped Starch Like 50 Times And The End Result Is Always The Same

Sefton10

it's all fun and games until carnivore somehow stops working for you. and then your telling your friends your on a new diet, and then once that fails you tell them your on a new diet again. eventually you turn into the boy who cried wolf. it's a scenario i've seen play out hundreds of times from people's experiences on the internet and in real life. all i know is i'm apprehensive to make any declaration on a "diet" i follow as if i feel like superman and any poor-person food is beneath my status, because i sure as hell am not confident enough to say that I will for sure never again regularly eat that food for the rest of my life, cause my mind may change down the line. nor do i feel like some superhero with 0 health problems on the current diet i eat now. you just end up looking like a fool avoiding certain foods at gatherings with friends, only to end up eating that food with no problems later down the line in life.
@gaze whenever I land upon one of your posts I usually find myself nodding along thinking "yep, that sounds like me (insert X scenario or point in time)".

Vileplume

it's all fun and games until carnivore somehow stops working for you. and then your telling your friends your on a new diet, and then once that fails you tell them your on a new diet again. eventually you turn into the boy who cried wolf. it's a scenario i've seen play out hundreds of times from people's experiences on the internet and in real life. all i know is i'm apprehensive to make any declaration on a "diet" i follow as if i feel like superman and any poor-person food is beneath my status, because i sure as hell am not confident enough to say that I will for sure never again regularly eat that food for the rest of my life, cause my mind may change down the line. nor do i feel like some superhero with 0 health problems on the current diet i eat now. you just end up looking like a fool avoiding certain foods at gatherings with friends, only to end up eating that food with no problems later down the line in life.
This is the story of my life. Although I gotta say, when I was eating just the same foods as everyone else, a totally normal diet, I felt like an empty version of myself. There’s a middle ground.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
This is the story of my life. Although I gotta say, when I was eating just the same foods as everyone else, a totally normal diet, I felt like an empty version of myself. There’s a middle ground.
Yes, things can certainly change that’s why I think it’s important to listen to our own bodies and not get too dogmatic about diet or judgmental towards others.

Cloudhands

Yeah eating with other people has so social values that are too primordial for me to fully understand, but back when i was vegan or when i was doing OMAD not eating but being at a meal with others was weird. If someone offers you food, its culturally appropriate to appreciate it. Its cool for people to do their own thing, but it feels way better to be apart of the group instead of super isolated. Others may disagree and prefer isolation, but its a person to person thing. Thats why its in bad taste to talk politics, religion and money with people because its usually something not everyone can agree on

AdoTintor

yes - when you break up with paleo you really should be obliged to send everyone you ever met, including those you waxed lyrical to in the pub, a notification that paleo is no longer part of your life, and that sugar is just fine, and that you really know whats-what now, and its all laid out by this 80 year old guy, and all you need to do is read a sereis of newsletters spanning 40 years.....

Ben.

yes - when you break up with paleo you really should be obliged to send everyone you ever met, including those you waxed lyrical to in the pub, a notification that paleo is no longer part of your life, and that sugar is just fine, and that you really know whats-what now, and its all laid out by this 80 year old guy, and all you need to do is read a sereis of newsletters spanning 40 years.....

... this had me laugh realy good. "Brain visualising doing that and the odd social situation that comes with it"

Last edited:
T

TheBeard

Hahahahaha

T

TheBeard

Yeah eating with other people has so social values that are too primordial for me to fully understand, but back when i was vegan or when i was doing OMAD not eating but being at a meal with others was weird. If someone offers you food, its culturally appropriate to appreciate it. Its cool for people to do their own thing, but it feels way better to be apart of the group instead of super isolated. Others may disagree and prefer isolation, but its a person to person thing. Thats why its in bad taste to talk politics, religion and money with people because its usually something not everyone can agree on

It's not about being cool, it's about not suffering.
When you'll have suffered enough from endotoxins, you'll realize your food choices come long before your social interactions.

Same for everything in life: you don't change until you've suffered enough.

I don't blame you. Back in 2014 when I was 26, I would have laughed in the face of anyone telling me to give up on my weekly pizza.
I still felt good at the time, I hadn't suffered enough.

Sefton10

Post of the year so far :lol:

Cloudhands

When you'll have suffered enough from endotoxins, you'll realize your food choices come long before your social interactions.

I don't blame you. Back in 2014 when I was 26, I would have laughed in the face of anyone telling me to give up on my weekly pizza.
No i absolutely feel u, if you have a health condition and arent healthy enough to eat certain foods, then dont. But thats different then me being a vegan one meal a day person not eating with my girlfriends family. If i were to tell people i had celiac i dont think theyd scoff and call me a trendy as shole. Now i dont eat basically any starch or immunogenic proteins, but i still can handle the occasional cheat meal with friends or family, and i dont expect it to change as my digestion gets better and better, and i can only hope that yours heals to the point that it wont be as debilitating.

valzim

Did you have to do any antibiotics to heal your gut? Or was giving up starches enough? I’m figuring things out too. I’ve had small eczema/rash area for last few years. Thought I had food allergy but now know that’s coming from gut issues and endotoxin. Finding Ray Peat has been great so far but still learning. Had my appendix removed when I was 17. I’m now 55 and never had any big problems such as IBS but realizing now I’ve probably had low temp, low metabolism for a while.

T

TheBeard

Did you have to do any antibiotics to heal your gut? Or was giving up starches enough? I’m figuring things out too. I’ve had small eczema/rash area for last few years. Thought I had food allergy but now know that’s coming from gut issues and endotoxin. Finding Ray Peat has been great so far but still learning. Had my appendix removed when I was 17. I’m now 55 and never had any big problems such as IBS but realizing now I’ve probably had low temp, low metabolism for a while.

I'm still antibiotic-free since 1 year.

The no-starch diet has taken care of 70% of my issues.
Now debating whether to pop more antibiotics to feel even better, at the risk of developing candida.

salvio

The Specific Carbohydrate Diet as outlined by Elaine Gottschall in Breaking the Vicious Cycle stems from the original protocol which Gottschall used to treat her own daughter who was suffering from inflammatory bowel disease. The original protocol was developed by her daughter's NY-based pediatrician named Dr. Sydney Haas and was a lot simpler and just as effective as the SCD (according to my research). Elaine Gottschall ironed out some of the details but added some unnecessary details too in my opinion (including the sucrose/lactose avoidance). Dr. Haas' diet was as follows; low fat, high carb, easy to digest diet that consisted of albumin milk, pot cheese, bananas, oranges, vegetables, gelatin, and meat.
The good thing about the SCD is that Gottschall took the time and analyzed hundreds of foods in her lab to determine their molecular structure and categorized them based on their monosaccharides, disaccharides, and polysaccharides content. She then took that info and formed a legal/illegal list which she made available for free. I personally don't follow SCD but I do reference the list if I'm unsure about the starch content of a food.
I agree to you.

GreekDemiGod

If starch raises insulin more than sugar does, then why when I eat only sugar, I get hungry frequently and have to eat every few hours and experience hypoglycaemia?

OP
D

Dobbler

Interesting that this thread blew up. For the record, i have been eating starch for 4 months in a row and doing okay. Potatoes, rice, corn, tapioca . It's way too convenient and tasty to eat starch, from clean gluten free sources of course. Maybe i would feel better without starch but like i said, i always start and stop it again and again.

JamesGatz

I personally don't see starch as a problem as long as you are chasing it with some type of decent insoluble fiber and caffeine (that's the way I do it) - the end result is I eat a lot of starch, but it's always moving - I probably have 2-3 bowel movements a day like this. Croissants, Sourdough bread, white rice, doesn't really give me a problem but I am allergic to potatoes. I usually chase each starchy meal with pineapple and coffee or banana and coke. Carrot Salad slows things too much for me so I keep it to once a day

I find it very difficult to exclude starch - I feel that I actually begin to crave it even if I salt all my fruit and protein it seems that I crave carbs from starch if I am getting too many of my carbs from dairy and fruit.

jet9

I personally don't see starch as a problem as long as you are chasing it with some type of decent insoluble fiber and caffeine (that's the way I do it) - the end result is I eat a lot of starch, but it's always moving - I probably have 2-3 bowel movements a day like this. Croissants, Sourdough bread, white rice, doesn't really give me a problem but I am allergic to potatoes. I usually chase each starchy meal with pineapple and coffee or banana and coke. Carrot Salad slows things too much for me so I keep it to once a day

I find it very difficult to exclude starch - I feel that I actually begin to crave it even if I salt all my fruit and protein it seems that I crave carbs from starch if I am getting too many of my carbs from dairy and fruit.
what sources of insolubable fiber works best for you? also you don't react well to just potatoes or to all tubers?

JamesGatz

what sources of insolubable fiber works best for you? also you don't react well to just potatoes or to all tubers?
For me after each starchy meal in terms of fiber I chase it with :

A little pineapple + coffee (pineapple helps a lot in keeping things moving)

or

banana + mexican coke (imo banana isn't as good as pineapple to keep things moving so the mexican coke helps with digestive support)

and I don't seem to react well to tubers in general