I Had More Hair On Japanese Style Diet Than Peating

Jack Earth

Over the last year incorporating good quality milk and dairy, quitting all soy, as well as higher sugar/carb intake I believe is the reason my hair loss got worse.

In retrospect my greatest hair was when I was eating/drinking soy daily, zero dairy, lots of fish and sushi (including Salmon) and rice.

I think there is a correlation but it's just a theory. I'm weak on scientific knowledge, so if what I'm saying does or doesn't make sense scientifically let know.

Kram

Over the last year incorporating good quality milk and dairy, quitting all soy, as well as higher sugar/carb intake I believe is the reason my hair loss got worse.

In retrospect my greatest hair was when I was eating/drinking soy daily, zero dairy, lots of fish and sushi (including Salmon) and rice.

I think there is a correlation but it's just a theory. I'm weak on scientific knowledge, so if what I'm saying does or doesn't make sense scientifically let know.
Lots of people don't do well on milk/dairy/high sugar. Just do what makes you feel healthiest. Listening to your body is way more important than scientific studies IMO.

mrchibbs

Peating is such a loose concept, it’s meaningless. By the way traditional Japanese cuisine involves a lot of butter, eggs and dairy. And white sugar. So your description isn’t really accurate.

I think white rice is a great source of carbs, and the minerals in fish/shellfish/seaweed are probably very helpful. And the japanese use of soy is a little more subtle than straight up soy milk and tofu. More often it’s in the form of natto or miso soup with mushrooms in the morning. Fermented soy is another ball game, and has a lot of vitamin K and other goodies. Salmon is more common now but is not traditional Japanese fish.

I think your dichotomy of Peating vs. Japanese cuisine is not really helpful, because they’re not mutually exclusive.

tallglass13

From what Danny Roddy has been saying lately is emphasizing that there is no Ray peat diet, but eat to increase the metabolic rate so if that Japanese diet keeps your pulse up and your temperature up at normal range then that's all you need to do.

OP
J

Jack Earth

Peating is such a loose concept, it’s meaningless. By the way traditional Japanese cuisine involves a lot of but
From what Danny Roddy has been saying lately is emphasizing that there is no Ray peat diet, but eat to increase the metabolic rate so if that Japanese diet keeps your pulse up and your temperature up at normal range then that's all you need to do.

That makes sense. I think a lot of people myself included copy Ray's personal diet which is not the point.

GreekDemiGod

Lots of people don't do well on milk/dairy/high sugar
Define "do well".
I suppose that how you digest a certain food is of utmost importance. If milk gives you bloating and flatulence, then it means you don't digest it well and it won't be good for your hair. What are other criteria to look for?

mrchibbs

That makes sense. I think a lot of people myself included copy Ray's personal diet which is not the point.

Exactly. I don’t blame you. Ray has found something that works for him, but he doesn’t just drink OJ and Milk, by a long shot. There is a lot more variety to his diet than he lets on.

The milk and OJ are just some convenient foods that most people have access to, and in a stressed state, give easy nutrients. Personally, OJ is not a regular part of my diet, because where I live, I just can’t find good, sweet, oranges. My fructose mostly comes from old-style apple juice and applesauce, and canned fruit salad.

As mentioned above, there is no “Ray Peat diet”. Just some general guidelines to avoid vegetable & seed oils, and being careful with starches if stressed and digestion is a problem.

mrchibbs

Define "do well".
I suppose that how you digest a certain food is of utmost importance. If milk gives you bloating and flatulence, then it means you don't digest it well and it won't be good for your hair. What are other criteria to look for?

When I started drinking milk again, it had been 5 years or more since I’d had a even a glass of milk.
It gave me stomach ache and gas at first. Ray has mentioned that introducing it slowly, i.e. just a little at a time, can allow your digestive enzymes to readjust. So start with half a cup a day, then move on to a cup, etc.

Kram

Define "do well".
I am just guessing but basic things like digestion (as you said), increase in temps after a meal, mental clarity (or brain fog), energy levels, mood, skin health (acne/eczema), bags under your eyes etc.

Arnold Grape

Heh. —The boy who personified the diet to a T. I do think there is very much a Ray Peat diet that exists on paper that is largely not practical for the majority of people. We have all tried it.

Vins7

Exactly. I don’t blame you. Ray has found something that works for him, but he doesn’t just drink OJ and Milk, by a long shot. There is a lot more variety to his diet than he lets on.

The milk and OJ are just some convenient foods that most people have access to, and in a stressed state, give easy nutrients. Personally, OJ is not a regular part of my diet, because where I live, I just can’t find good, sweet, oranges. My fructose mostly comes from old-style apple juice and applesauce, and canned fruit salad.

As mentioned above, there is no “Ray Peat diet”. Just some general guidelines to avoid vegetable & seed oils, and being careful with starches if stressed and digestion is a problem.
If I have bloating and a bit stressed what foods I should quit first to assess if bloating decreases?
I want to try but I don't know how to start.

mrchibbs

If I have bloating and a bit stressed what foods I should quit first to assess if bloating decreases?
I want to try but I don't know how to start.

Definitely starches of any kind, vegetables too unless they're extremely well cooked (for example a spinach cream soup would be fine).
When you're stressed, starch pass through the intestinal barriers and irritate the intestine, causing inflammation and gas and making you more bloated.

Avoid bread, pasta, potatoes, cereals, undercooked veggies. Even unripe fruits can cause severe problems.

Focus on broths, canned or cooked fruit (I like canned peaches and applesauce), warm milk/hot chocolate with gelatin (gelatin lacks tryptophan therefore doesn't increase serotonin, is very good to soothe the digestive tract), warm honey with water works great too.

Your bloating should decrease very quickly. Taking some aspirin, dissolved in hot water/baking soda is probably very good to lower inflammation.

Vins7

[QUOTE = "mrchibbs, publicación: 517787, miembro: 7363"] Exactamente. No culpo Ray ha encontrado algo que funciona para él, pero no solo bebe OJ y Milk, por asomo. Su dieta tiene mucha más variedad de la que muestra.

La leche y el zumo de naranja son solo algunos alimentos convenientes a los que tienen la mayoría de las personas que tienen acceso y, en un estado estresado, especialmente ricos en nutrientes. Personalmente, el DO no es una parte habitual de mi dieta, porque donde vivo no puedo encontrar naranjas buenas y dulces. Mi fructosa principalmente de jugo de manzana y compota de manzana a la antigua, y ensalada de frutas enlatadas.

Como se mencionó anteriormente, no existe una "dieta Ray Peat". Solo algunas pautas generales para evitar los aceites vegetales y de semillas, y tener cuidado con los almidones si están estresados y la digestión es un problema. [/ CITA]t
Definitely starches of any kind, vegetables too unless they're extremely well cooked (for example a spinach cream soup would be fine).
When you're stressed, starch pass through the intestinal barriers and irritate the intestine, causing inflammation and gas and making you more bloated.

Avoid bread, pasta, potatoes, cereals, undercooked veggies. Even unripe fruits can cause severe problems.

Focus on broths, canned or cooked fruit (I like canned peaches and applesauce), warm milk/hot chocolate with gelatin (gelatin lacks tryptophan therefore doesn't increase serotonin, is very good to soothe the digestive tract), warm honey with water works great too.

Your bloating should decrease very quickly. Taking some aspirin, dissolved in hot water/baking soda is probably very good to lower inflammation.
Thank you
Avoiding sugar I should eat fruit, refined sugar, honey and milk as carbs and as protein I could eat all type of meat, fish, eggs, and things like gelatin and bonebroth?
Main foods to avoid are nuts, Seeds and legums (I don't eat them now), veggies and all type starches as you day?
Thank you so much, how long does It take to heal gut and being able to eat starches and other foods without ending up bloated? (Approximatly)

DrJ

If you were eating the traditional fermented soy products in Japanese cuisine (miso, natto), those have a lot of vitamin K. Also, because of the fish consumption, a Japanese diet can be high in lysine to arginine ratio which is generally good for hair. Depending on how you are implementing your 'Peat diet' you might be missing these previous benefits. And salt. The Japanese diet tends to have a lot of salt, so make sure your new regime does also.

mrchibbs

@Vins7

I see no reason to avoid cooked/canned/ripe fruits at all. Applesauce is the best source of fruit sugar where I live, and I add niacinamide/lysine powders to it, it's a great calorie/sugar source for me and extremely easy to digest.

Avoid all nuts, seeds, legumes, undercooked veggies, bread, cereals.

As long as you're under a state of stress (and it can be very difficult to get out of), digestion is compromised and the intestinal tract is sensitive to just about anything.
There is no set time for healing your gut.

In general, reintroducing starches like potatoes very very well cooked with coconut oil/butter in small portions works. But there may be some foods you may never be able to reintroduce, that is if you truly want to improve your health. Ray has removed every starch from his diet.

I think when you're very relaxed, after a long day, and you eat a meal with family/friends slowly, and stay relaxed afterwards, digestion of starches is probably a lot better. That means you should never eat starches/legumes etc. when you're not feeling perfectly warm and relaxed.

Nuts, seeds etc. are really a poor quality food. You could soak the nuts/seeds and then make a nut yogurt by blending and fermenting, but is that necessary/helpful? not really.
Legumes and beans are also quite bad, and they wreck healthy people's intestines. If you want to be healthy, don't eat them at all. They would be better, if they were sprouted and then cooked for a long time in a meal, but almost no one cooks them properly.

The safest starches are mashed potatoes with butter, masa harina tortillas, white rice and sourdough bread. Once you're healthier, occasionally during evening meals with friends, these foods can be reintroduced in small quantities.

Vins7

@Vins7

I see no reason to avoid cooked/canned/ripe fruits at all. Applesauce is the best source of fruit sugar where I live, and I add niacinamide/lysine powders to it, it's a great calorie/sugar source for me and extremely easy to digest.

As long as you're under a state of stress (and it can be very difficult to get out of), digestion is compromised and the intestinal tract is sensitive to just about anything.

In general, reintroducing starches like potatoes very very well cooked with coconut oil/butter in small portions works. But there may be some foods you may never be able to reintroduce, that is if you truly want to improve your health. Ray has removed every starch from his diet.

I think when you're very relaxed, after a long day, and you eat a meal with family/friends slowly, and stay relaxed afterwards, digestion of starches is probably a lot better. That means you should never eat starches/legumes etc. when you're not feeling perfectly warm and relaxed.

Nuts, seeds etc. are really a poor quality food. You could soak the nuts/seeds and then make a nut yogurt by blending and fermenting, but is that necessary/helpful? not really.
Legumes and beans are also quite bad, and they wreck healthy people's intestines. If you want to be healthy, don't eat them at all. They would be better, if they were sprouted and then cooked for a long time in a meal, but almost no one cooks them properly.

The safest starches are mashed potatoes with butter, masa harina tortillas, white rice and sourdough bread. Once you're healthier, occasionally during evening meals with friends, these foods can be reintroduced in small quantities.
@Vins7

Thank you once more mrchibbs.

Hgreen56

When I started drinking milk again, it had been 5 years or more since I’d had a even a glass of milk.
It gave me stomach ache and gas at first. Ray has mentioned that introducing it slowly, i.e. just a little at a time, can allow your digestive enzymes to readjust. So start with half a cup a day, then move on to a cup, etc.
did you in the beginning get bloat and tired from milk?

@Vins7

I see no reason to avoid cooked/canned/ripe fruits at all. Applesauce is the best source of fruit sugar where I live,
do you consume the cheapest applesauce you can find where additives have been added?

mrchibbs

did you in the beginning get bloat and tired from milk?

do you consume the cheapest applesauce you can find where additives have been added?

1) Yes I did. For several weeks I was getting similar symptoms from milk. I slowly upped my dose and I got used to it again.

2) No, where I live (in Canada) I can get really good applesauce in jars, with absolutely no additives or even added sugar.

Collden

If the OP is still reading this... How do you feel overall since you changed your diet? Might be your japanese low-fat low-sugar diet just caused your steroid hormones to plummet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals