I had a lot of work and a tight deadline, so I tried an amphetamine. Now my tinnitus is worse. Any tips?

worrywart

Title says it all. Peat right once again.

While taking the vyvanse I developed a new form of tinnitus. A metallic sound in my right ear, when I'd put my finger in it or scratch my face near it.

I'm taking cyproheptadine. I think it's helping because the metallic sound in the right ear is pretty much gone. But now I have a metallic sound in my left ear, albeit not as loud. It shows up in the mornings and subsides after I rise from bed. Also, the normal high frequency tinnitus, the one I've had for decades, is now really loud in my right ear.

Also, the cyproheptadine is making me really fat. I'm starting to feel embarrassed when I leave the house. Like I said, Peat right again, the vyvanse was really not worth it. Now my tinnitus is worse and I'm fatter. Haha.

Anyway, any tips besides cypro? I'm taking niacinamide as well, getting decent sunlight, trying to get some exercise (this seems to help, makes the tinnitus quieter) and eating a generally Peat diet.

I'd be thankful for any feedback here.

OP
W

worrywart

The vyvanse was really nasty too. It induces some sort of mania in you. Then I'd stay awake for 48 hours. I'd wake up feeling this weird plastic smell, as if I had ingested plastic. And I'm feeling this weird fatigue ever since. Really bad stuff.

maillol

There seems to be a link between tinnitus and low cortisol levels. The fact that an amphetamine made it worse also supports this as you would need cortisol to deal with the synthetic stress that is the amphetamine. I have had success raising cortisol with pantothenic acid and limiting vitamin A. If this is the case you are likely also excreting too much salt, I occasionally have a teaspoon stirred into a glass of water.

OP
W

worrywart

There seems to be a link between tinnitus and low cortisol levels. The fact that an amphetamine made it worse also supports this as you would need cortisol to deal with the synthetic stress that is the amphetamine. I have had success raising cortisol with pantothenic acid and limiting vitamin A. If this is the case you are likely also excreting too much salt, I occasionally have a teaspoon stirred into a glass of water.

Thanks for replying.

Curiously enough, I've been taking a teaspoon of salt now and then because it seems to help with the post-vyvanse fatigue.

Sergey

Try something which suppresses herpes family viruses, for example 1 gr lysine twice a day on empty stomach at least one hour before meals and temporary arginine/citrulline restriction. I’d also have no coffee and no cheese for some
time. Inosine can also be helpful. Selenium if you tolerate it.

Herpes seems to be the root cause of some forms of tinnitus, and there are anecdotal reports of herpes reactivation by amphetamines.
Varicella Zoster (one of herpes family viruses) active in some facial nerves can cause sudden hyponatremia, so its not surprising that salt helps you to recover. Same virus is often associated with tinnitus.

OP
W

worrywart

Try something which suppresses herpes family viruses, for example 1 gr lysine twice a day on empty stomach at least one hour before meals and temporary arginine/citrulline restriction. I’d also have no coffee and no cheese for some
time. Inosine can also be helpful. Selenium if you tolerate it.

Herpes seems to be the root cause of some forms of tinnitus, and there are anecdotal reports of herpes reactivation by amphetamines.
Varicella Zoster (one of herpes family viruses) active in some facial nerves can cause sudden hyponatremia, so its not surprising that salt helps you to recover. Same virus is often associated with tinnitus.

Herpes, eh? I haven't kissed a woman in a long time. But thanks man, I may look into it if my current approach doesn't work out.

Sergey

Herpes, eh? I haven't kissed a woman in a long time. But thanks man, I may look into it if my current approach doesn't work out.
I didn't mean that you have got infected with hsv-2 :)
There are different types of herpes viruses, and most people have at least couple of them - HSV-1, varicella zoster, hsv-6, EBV etc. Once in your body they stay there forever (it seems). They can reactivate locally and cause weird unrelated symptoms...not so locally.
Blood tests are often useless in testing for such local herpetic processes. In studies they are confirmed by tissue samples. In real life - by symptoms and how they react to anti-herpetic stuff.
Many conditions where inner ear is involved are often related to herpes reactivation. As well as many "mental" conditions such as OCD, anxiety, etc.

OP
W

worrywart

I didn't mean that you have got infected with hsv-2 :)
There are different types of herpes viruses, and most people have at least couple of them - HSV-1, varicella zoster, hsv-6, EBV etc. Once in your body they stay there forever (it seems). They can reactivate locally and cause weird unrelated symptoms...not so locally.
Blood tests are often useless in testing for such local herpetic processes. In studies they are confirmed by tissue samples. In real life - by symptoms and how they react to anti-herpetic stuff.
Many conditions where inner ear is involved are often related to herpes reactivation. As well as many "mental" conditions such as OCD, anxiety, etc.

Interesting. I do have OCD and anxiety as well. I'll look into your reccs, thanks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals