I got more cavities after using tom's fluoride free toothpaste

blue_lotus

im just making this post to share my own experience with going no-fluoride for teeth. ive been using tom's fluoride free toothpaste for about a year now and during that time period ive gotten like three new cavities (gumline ones). I very very seldom got cavities before; this only started happening after switching toothpastes. in all honesty correlation is not causation, but this is the most major change I can think of making over the past year or so. im switching back to regular fluoridated toothpaste and hoping my existing cavities (thankfully minor ones) will remineralize...

MarcelZD

Yeah, fluoride works for me as well. I've thought that perhaps the dangers could be mitigated with some additional iodine, but Ray isn't a fan of course.

OP
blue_lotus

blue_lotus

Yeah, fluoride works for me as well. I've thought that perhaps the dangers could be mitigated with some additional iodine, but Ray isn't a fan of course.
did you also get cavities by trying non-fluoridated toothpaste? if so, did the cavities remineralize on their own after you resumed using fluoridated toothpaste?

Nebula

Never had an adult cavity. I just use baking soda after most meals, always before bed. No fluoride.

MarcelZD

did you also get cavities by trying non-fluoridated toothpaste? if so, did the cavities remineralize on their own after you resumed using fluoridated toothpaste?
Yes, I used non-fluoridated for over year and got a bunch of cavities. They didn't improve but the fluoridated toothpaste prevented the formation of new cavities and I haven't had problems since. Lesson learned I suppose.

artist

Fluoride is helpful. You could try a fluoride free hydroxyapatite toothpaste if you want an alternative that still protects your teeth. Personally I like having both but I’m just not that worried about fluoride in toothpaste

OP
blue_lotus

blue_lotus

Yes, I used non-fluoridated for over year and got a bunch of cavities. They didn't improve but the fluoridated toothpaste prevented the formation of new cavities and I haven't had problems since. Lesson learned I suppose.
that sucks to hear that the cavities didnt improve on their own. did you ever try anything like coconut oil pulling or eating eggshell calcium? the cavities are minor and I guess I can just go to the dentist and get them filled but ugh...I really dont want to. I think I might be making it sound worse in my head than it really is though

I have this theory that fluoridated toothpaste is a must have for a modern, first world diet. in any other case it wouldnt be necessary but due to the unique composition of our diets we basically need that extra oomph that fluoride provides
Fluoride is helpful. You could try a fluoride free hydroxyapatite toothpaste if you want an alternative that still protects your teeth. Personally I like having both but I’m just not that worried about fluoride in toothpaste
Never had an adult cavity. I just use baking soda after most meals, always before bed. No fluoride.
haha im fine with fluoride at this point. the rate at which new cavities are popping up is alarming, my appetite for all natural experimentation is totally gone. I just wanna do what I know for sure works

does anyone know the process that dentists use to fill minor gum line cavities? are there any things I should be aware of beforehand? seems like it should be a relatively uncomplicated procedure. my idea is to keep brushing with fluoridated toothpaste for a few months and see if the cavities fill in and if not then im just gonna go and get them filled

tankasnowgod

ive been using tom's fluoride free toothpaste for about a year now and during that time period ive gotten like three new cavities (gumline ones).
haha im fine with fluoride at this point. the rate at which new cavities are popping up is alarming, my appetite for all natural experimentation is totally gone. I just wanna do what I know for sure works

I wouldn't call Tom's Flouride Free Toothpaste "Natural Experimentation." Because it wasn't. Here are the ingredients-

calcium carbonate, glycerin, water, xylitol, hydrated silica, natural flavor*, zinc citrate, sodium lauryl sulfate, carrageenan, sodium bicarbonate. *peppermint oil

Plus, it's owned by Colgate/Palmolive. So, not exactly a small company, either. So, really, the conclusion you should draw is that flouride free toothpaste produced by subsidiaries of larger toothpaste manufacturers seem to cause cavities in your case.

While it does share some ingredients with many homemade and "natural" toothpastes, it does leave some out. Most DIY toothpastes use coconut oil, not glycerin, and coconut oil has natural antibiotic properties, while I have never heard that claim for glycerin. I have heard the claim that glycerin prevents remineralization, but don't know how true that is, either. There was probably too little sodium bicarbonate to have much of an antibiotic effect, either.

I made a new DIY toothpaste that's been working pretty well for me, and has added some "missing ingredients" from other DIY remineralizing toothpastes, if interested-

However, even having said all that, I have heard other members say that Peat had suggested flouride in toothpaste may be okay..... but I haven't heard this quote directly from Peat.

artist

that sucks to hear that the cavities didnt improve on their own. did you ever try anything like coconut oil pulling or eating eggshell calcium? the cavities are minor and I guess I can just go to the dentist and get them filled but ugh...I really dont want to. I think I might be making it sound worse in my head than it really is though

I have this theory that fluoridated toothpaste is a must have for a modern, first world diet. in any other case it wouldnt be necessary but due to the unique composition of our diets we basically need that extra oomph that fluoride provides

does anyone know the process that dentists use to fill minor gum line cavities? are there any things I should be aware of beforehand? seems like it should be a relatively uncomplicated procedure. my idea is to keep brushing with fluoridated toothpaste for a few months and see if the cavities fill in and if not then im just gonna go and get them filled
I got a bunch of gum line cavities early in my experiments w orange juice. And yeah they just fill them with composite idk. They have been fine since I got them filled…it took a while to get to the point where they really had to be filled so seems worthwhile to try to heal them as much as possible. There might be a couple at least that you can skip.

Ben.

Tried a toothpaste with hydroxyapatite?

Also, whatever toothpaste you use or tooth reminerilization solutiion, leave that stuff in your mouth for a couple mins and let it sit. Brushing and spitting out + rinsing with water afterwards to quickly can be counterproductive.

If you insist on fluroide toothpaste then perhaps selenium and some iodine could make sense to take in every once in a while.

dreamcatcher

You might be aware of the fact that fluoridated toothpaste is banned in India. They instead use Ayurvedic herbs to protect teeth. I used non fluoridated toothpaste in most of my life. Your oral health is directly related to your gut health.
Fluoride can also contribute to causing yellow teeth discoloration.

ChemHead

If you really want your teeth clean, I'd recommend using chlorhexidine gluconate to rinse your mouth with after brushing. I use non-fluoride toothpaste, but the toothpaste is specifically for polishing away plaque and removing food, etc. I don't expect it to prevent cavities. That's what I use chlorhexidine gluconate for. It will prevent biofilm formation on your teeth for at least 24 hours and your teeth will still have the clean, freshly-brushed feeling even after eating meals.

I don't know the long-term effects of using it or whether it is more poisonous than fluoride or not. However, I do know that I will keep my teeth for the rest of my life and won't have to worry about cavities. Another warning is that it will stain any plaque or tartar buildup a brown color. I suppose this makes it easier for your dentist to see where to clean. It you use it, I'd recommend being consistent with brushing and flossing to minimize the staining and getting 3 cleanings a year... Or at least 2.

L_C

If you really want your teeth clean, I'd recommend using chlorhexidine gluconate to rinse your mouth with after brushing. I use non-fluoride toothpaste, but the toothpaste is specifically for polishing away plaque and removing food, etc. I don't expect it to prevent cavities. That's what I use chlorhexidine gluconate for. It will prevent biofilm formation on your teeth for at least 24 hours and your teeth will still have the clean, freshly-brushed feeling even after eating meals.

I don't know the long-term effects of using it or whether it is more poisonous than fluoride or not. However, I do know that I will keep my teeth for the rest of my life and won't have to worry about cavities. Another warning is that it will stain any plaque or tartar buildup a brown color. I suppose this makes it easier for your dentist to see where to clean. It you use it, I'd recommend being consistent with brushing and flossing to minimize the staining and getting 3 cleanings a year... Or at least 2.
Which brand of chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash do you buy?

ChemHead

Which brand of chlorhexidine gluconate mouthwash do you buy?
I wouldn't know. I bought like a gallon of 2% chlorhexidine gluconate like 5 years ago and it will probably last at least another 10 years. I mix 15 ml with about 500 ml of distilled water.

I too, have noted a decline in dental health whenever trying to wean myself from fluoride. Right now I’m having good luck with generic fluoride toothpaste (I use Aim to save money) twice a day and fennel oil brushing before bed.

Have had mixed results with xylitol, but I’m thinking it might be because I bought the cheapo crap sourced from corn.

Nebula

Doesn't that make your mouth dry? How do you use baking soda?
Nope. I just dip my toothbrush in baking soda and brush lightly. I don’t rinse or spit it out. so it stays on my teeth and gums for awhile to fully neutralize any acid on my teeth.

L_C

I too, have noted a decline in dental health whenever trying to wean myself from fluoride. Right now I’m having good luck with generic fluoride toothpaste (I use Aim to save money) twice a day and fennel oil brushing before bed.

Have had mixed results with xylitol, but I’m thinking it might be because I bought the cheapo crap sourced from corn.
Why are you using fennel oil? What does it do for teeth?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals