I Find Beef Liver And Oysters Disgusting

min

And completely unpalatable. Is there a way to get the important vitamins and minerals provided by these two foods in some other way?

Yes I know I am being a big baby...

J

j.

Have you tried soaking the beef liver in milk for a few hours before cooking it in butter?

You could supplement vitamins A, E, K, Bs, and find other sources for copper, selenium, and zinc.

jaa

I soak my liver in warm water to get all the excess blood out. Then I puree it in a blender and mix it with ground beef. That's the best way I've found to neutralize the awful taste.

nwo2012

min said:
And completely unpalatable. Is there a way to get the important vitamins and minerals provided by these two foods in some other way?

Chicken liver tastes a lot better. As does calves liver (over the adult animal).

Remove the oysters from the shells. Soak in water (pure, not chlorinated crap) for an hour. The pour out water and soak in lime/lemon juice and white vinegar for an hour. Tastes much better this way. My youngest will only eat them this way.

Dan W

I recall someone grinding or blending the liver up, and putting it in gelatin capsules so that they wouldn't taste it. That's a lot of work though...

kettlebell

nwo2012 said:
min said:

Chicken liver tastes a lot better. As does calves liver (over the adult animal).

Remove the oysters from the shells. Soak in water (pure, not chlorinated crap) for an hour. The pour out water and soak in lime/lemon juice and white vinegar for an hour. Tastes much better this way. My youngest will only eat them this way.

Nwo,

This will sound like a stupid question but do you cook the oysters at any stage? Or are they raw when you carry out that process?

OP
M

min

Thanks for your replies everyone. I recently found beef liver supplements/tablets in pill form on amazon (such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Beverly-Internati ... liver+pill)

I was curious if these are okay or if the vitamin A levels in these have been destroyed. Based on reviews and product description, it seems like most people take beef liver tablets for the protein and iron.

Dan W

It's hard to tell much about that particular brand, the full ingredients (PDF) say that it's "Select Argentinian Dessicated Liver (as 4x concentrate)" and brags about everything but vitamin A, so maybe it is lost in the processing.

Also, Peat would probably object to the silicone dioxide in it.

I'll see if I can find any brands that are more Peat-friendly tomorrow.

Dan W

Ok, I've put up a list of 11 desiccated liver brands (with pros/cons) here. The most Peat-friendly capsule appears to be the Radiant Life brand because the only additive is the pure gelatin capsule. That brand is also the only one I've found where the nutrition information (PDF) includes significant amounts of Vitamin A.

It is expensive though, and I don't know if there's any downsides to taking the liver in desiccated form. Maybe someone else can chime in on that subject.

jyb

Given the hight iron content, is liver necessary when one supplements with Vitamin A (Nutrisorb A)? Seems like we get enough of the other vitamins with milk/OJ/shellfish...

J

j.

Liver also has copper, vitamin E, K, and some of the Bs which I'm not sure other things have.

gretchen

I couldn't thaw the liver, just not ready. So it's buffalo burgers for dinner, yay!!

The thought of actually touching liver........ I think it's a food I've never had. Not even pâté.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I had liver for lunch, its really starting to grow on me. I don't have to power through it anymore.

chris

I don't see what the big deal with liver is, doesn't taste bad at all.

gabriel79

chris said:
I don't see what the big deal with liver is, doesn't taste bad at all.

Same with me. I fry it with some butter, leaving the inside raw and sealing the outside. Some salt, and it's done. Only if it's too bitter (usually it's quite sweet but sometimes it's bitter) then I put some lemon juice on it.

narouz

I found that Calf's Liver is much better than Cow Liver.
I had to sortuv Try to get the Cow's Liver down,
but the Calf's Liver I actually enjoy--
just as gabriel said: cooked quickly in butter (and coconut oil for me)
with garlic granuales and salt.
Tastes good!
I like lemon, but I started thinking that might be bad
just as drinking OJ with beef is bad--the iron absorption thing.

Now oysters: love 'em!
I just get them in the shell.
Put them is a skillet with a little water to make steam.
Steam them for like 3-5 minutes
or just until they slightly open.
I like to put a little melted butter on them, salt, maybe a little garlic, and maybe a drop of red pepper sauce.
Great!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The past 2 weeks I have been eating liver a couple days a week. I now have ZERO acne. This has never ever happened. :rockout

J

j.

Charlie said:
The past 2 weeks I have been eating liver a couple days a week. I now have ZERO acne. This has never ever happened. :rockout

Haha, I had the same experience with both acne and dandruff. When I'm out in the sun a lot, liver is not enough and I need to supplement, but it works.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Very cool J! I am just crazy excited about his. :lol: So excited I didnt even know what thread to put this in. :rolling

So yeh, get your liver people!! :hattip