I felt really sick - cyproheptadine is like magic

equipoise

Certainly no offense intended. Just a small attempt at levity about the sedating effects of antihistamines, humor which I thought you might enjoy. Apparently I was mistaken and the attempt at humor went over like a lead balloon. Glad that the anti histamines helped you.
The re read makes it even funnier
No hard feelings at all and thanks for the clarification. Cheers

tankasnowgod

I've felt off on cypro. Like slow, sedated. My own mother even asked me had I been drugged. That's one drop of idealabs stuff. It sure relieves allergies, but no bueno otherwise

If you plan on taking cypro for any length of time, there is something to be said for a "loading dose."

I tried cypro on and off for a long time, trying doses of 1-4 mg infrequently. I always got the "zombie like" feeling in the morning. One time, I tried 1mg for two weeks, and it still never went away.

Last August, I decided to "go for it," and resolved to use 4mg a night and push through the zombie like feeling, no matter how long it took. Lo and behold, this time it cleared in about 3 days. I continued that dose for a while, even trying 8 and 12 mg a day....... did not get the tiredness. I took cyrpo for a good 5 months or so. No tiredness or zombie issues beyond the first few days.

I think once you've pushed through the zombie like feeling in a couple days, you can reduce the dose and still get the positive effects. So, maybe 4mg for a few days-week, and then lower it to 1mg. From what I understand, even Peat recommends this approach.

I detailed my experience more on this thread-

I think raysputin also mentioned something similar earlier in the thread.

tankasnowgod

Yeah it probably indicates just how much you were running on stress hormones. Very few things stop the cycle of stress better than cypro. Most people experience this zombie state at first, but it is profoundly soothing when you've been sick for a long time.

I think this is more due to the Anti-histmine effect of cyrpo. I've used two other serotonin antagonists in the past 6 months (ritanserin and metergoline). Neither had any tiredness or zombie like state to them. In fact, I found both energizing from the get go. Cypro could sometimes have an energizing effect too, but that was after I had been taking it a while, and it does build up in your system.

Cypro is great, and does a lot of very good things, and in my experience taking it for months, it leaves you in a much better place that it found you, but if you are just looking for a more pure serotonin antognist, metergoline might be better (but I've only used it for a few days so far).

andrewlee224

If you plan on taking cypro for any length of time, there is something to be said for a "loading dose."

I tried cypro on and off for a long time, trying doses of 1-4 mg infrequently. I always got the "zombie like" feeling in the morning. One time, I tried 1mg for two weeks, and it still never went away.

Last August, I decided to "go for it," and resolved to use 4mg a night and push through the zombie like feeling, no matter how long it took. Lo and behold, this time it cleared in about 3 days. I continued that dose for a while, even trying 8 and 12 mg a day....... did not get the tiredness. I took cyrpo for a good 5 months or so. No tiredness or zombie issues beyond the first few days.

I think once you've pushed through the zombie like feeling in a couple days, you can reduce the dose and still get the positive effects. So, maybe 4mg for a few days-week, and then lower it to 1mg. From what I understand, even Peat recommends this approach.

I detailed my experience more on this thread-

I think raysputin also mentioned something similar earlier in the thread.
Interesting.. I always take tiny doses (0.1-1mg) and while it helps me it does make me sluggish as well. I saw that somewhere on the forum somebody posted a blog article which basically said that there is non-linear response to Cypro dosing.. so the effects may be kind of counterintuitive depending on the dose.
I'll have to try 4mg some time.

GreekDemiGod

Interesting.. I always take tiny doses (0.1-1mg) and while it helps me it does make me sluggish as well. I saw that somewhere on the forum somebody posted a blog article which basically said that there is non-linear response to Cypro dosing.. so the effects may be kind of counterintuitive depending on the dose.
I'll have to try 4mg some time.
I've found that I build tolerance to it if I take it daily and the fatigue goes away and only the good effects remain.
If I quit it for a while, say 1 month, the tolerance I've had when quitting goes away.
Gives me great sleep. One of the top peaty supplements / drugs for me.
If I'd have a 6 months vacation at the beach, micro-dosing Cypro all this time would be a dream. Perfect sleep, low stress hormones, ideal for recovery.

CalmAmygdala

I think this is more due to the Anti-histmine effect of cyrpo. I've used two other serotonin antagonists in the past 6 months (ritanserin and metergoline). Neither had any tiredness or zombie like state to them. In fact, I found both energizing from the get go. Cypro could sometimes have an energizing effect too, but that was after I had been taking it a while, and it does build up in your system.

Cypro is great, and does a lot of very good things, and in my experience taking it for months, it leaves you in a much better place that it found you, but if you are just looking for a more pure serotonin antognist, metergoline might be better (but I've only used it for a few days so far).
where'd you get the ritanserin?

Velve921

I had taken a couple of months off of Cyproheptadine. Then recently stress went really high so I started back with it. With 1mg I noticed very intense relaxation.

Over the last couple days with using 2-3mg per day, I’ve been running to the can for #2 at least 8x a day now. Mostly diarrhea with an occasional very good one.

I’ve never had this reaction before to cypro. Could this be some type of endotoxin die off? The first few nights sleep was fine, last night was very challenging.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

HealthPete

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if this is still helping you? I was wondering how long it helps. You said you took it once and the relief lasted for.....how long? Id really like to know. Thanks
I just took 2 mg one time. Still feeling wonderful.

Bluemachine

To the people calling cypro a wonder drug, magical or whatever - how does it compare to diphenhydramine/benadryl for you?

HealthPete

Thanks for the reply. Thats good it helps you so much. I wish I knew about that in my 20s. I had bad allergic type reactions to everything and my nervous system was fried. I overcame that with other ways though, but it took years.

wildworld1992

I've found that I build tolerance to it if I take it daily and the fatigue goes away and only the good effects remain.
If I quit it for a while, say 1 month, the tolerance I've had when quitting goes away.
Gives me great sleep. One of the top peaty supplements / drugs for me.
If I'd have a 6 months vacation at the beach, micro-dosing Cypro all this time would be a dream. Perfect sleep, low stress hormones, ideal for recovery.
Does it still help your sleep when the fatigue goes away?

InChristAlone

To the people calling cypro a wonder drug, magical or whatever - how does it compare to diphenhydramine/benadryl for you?
Benedryl does not give the same effects. Makes me feel wired but tired. Cypro gives more of a relaxed state.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals