I Don't Really Think RP Is As Anti-vegetables As Everyone On Here Thinks

pboy

don't eat stew then
hes not 'anti vegetables', hes just honest about them. Theyre at best a backup food. He doesn't create a 'good' and 'bad' list like a diet author would, he just tells the science of it then lets you decide. If youre fine with them no one is stopping you and Peat wouldn't say not to, youre supposed to decide for yourself by perception. I personally get taken down a notch, or multiple notches, from eating greens. Theyre too astringent

OP
B

barbwirehouse

pboy said:
don't eat stew then
hes not 'anti vegetables', hes just honest about them. Theyre at best a backup food. He doesn't create a 'good' and 'bad' list like a diet author would, he just tells the science of it then lets you decide. If youre fine with them no one is stopping you and Peat wouldn't say not to, youre supposed to decide for yourself by perception. I personally get taken down a notch, or multiple notches, from eating greens. Theyre too astringent

Eating greens? What about roots, tubers or bulbs? :|

tara

I don't read Peat as anti-vegetables. He sometimes recommends and eats roots and tubers, and broth from greens. He does suggest preparing vegetables appropriately to minimise antithyroid substances and other anti-metabolic or toxic substances, eg talks about well-cooked vegetables.

pboy

yes roots are fine and even beneficial if youre GI function is fast and there isn't much starch going undigested to feed bacteria, always peel them to avoid certain toxins

tara

Such_Saturation said:
tara said:
He sometimes eats broth from greens.

Where does Ray Peat say this?
Hmm. I thought I remembered another quote about him eating broth, but not certain I got it right. Here's a couple of quotes of recommendations:

HD: I looked earlier on as I was doing some searching around and saw that the main principle sources it seems of magnesium were nuts and seeds, and I think there were small amounts in soy, but I think principally what would you recommend as a good magnesium source?

RP: Fruit juices and coffee. I think if you want a really intense source you can boil leaves like kale or beet greens or something just for two or three minutes, and the green water that comes out quickly is very concentrated in magnesium and calcium. That's a very, pretty safe supplement. Coffee and fruit juices are practical and something you can do every day.

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5532&p=65385&#p65385

Ray Peat said:
Cooked green leaves, or the water they were boiled in, is a very good source of magnesium, with other minerals in safe ratio.
http://peatarian.com/peatexchanges

Such_Saturation said:
tara said:

"I sometimes make a magnesium supplement by boiling a pound of greens (kale, beets, spinach, etc.) in a little water, making a concentrated extract rich in magnesium.” —Ray Peat

source: email exchanges

Westside PUFAs said:
Such_Saturation said:
tara said:

"I sometimes make a magnesium supplement by boiling a pound of greens (kale, beets, spinach, etc.) in a little water, making a concentrated extract rich in magnesium.” —Ray Peat

source: email exchanges

Thanks!

Nicholas

the only vegetables i eat in larger amounts are root vegetables and zucchini - parsnips, zucchini, and carrots are low starch. i eat leafy greens like arugala and raw spinach and herbs (maybe one cup a day) because it tastes nice, adds crunch, makes me feel more normal, makes my food look prettier, source of vitamin E, and the really thin/watery greens don't seem to be a digestive irritant

uuy8778yyi

you're right

peat has now started reccomending raw kale/broccoli/brussel sprout smoothies with raw apples and pears thrown in

it's healthy folks ! the kids on youtube drink it ! it must be true

Xisca

When I started eating more fruits, and honey = sweet taste... I was just "yuk" about veggies!
And i love them actually!
After a while, I started to crave them again....

I do not know what they bring, but I think they are useful.
I agree about fruits, but monkeys also eat leaves.
Well, I still do not eat insects...

When i eat too much sweet things, my tongue is yellow, and I need to eat a big salad and bitter leaves.

Those who do not like veggies might have access to bad ones, or change the recipes!
I cannot eat most canned veggies nor old ones.
If in a soup, after boiling several times for extracting bone gelatine, I cannot eat the overcooked veggies, just the thick broth.
And that tastes good!

pboy

you didn't know? one time ray ate a vegetable and fainted, he had to drink 2 gallons of milk before he recovered