I Didn't Quit Sugar Book+Recipe book

Dutchie

Is there someone who has read the I Didnt Quit Sugar book and Recipe book? Is it interesting/valuable?

Ingenol

It's pretty basic, but it has a nice entry-level discussion of some of the Peat principles. Probably not that useful if you already have a Peat-style routine going on, but it might be nice to show to a friend or family member as some "evidence" that sugar is actually good for you, and why it's preferable to starch or grains.

The authors do seem to harbor some fear of straight-up processed white sugar, as they're always mentioning "sugar from whole food/natural sources" as if it is somehow not okay to just eat a tablespoon of white sugar. I haven't tried any of the recipes--they seem pretty basic but they look tasty. Overall I think it's only $15 so for what it is, not terrible.

key

so they quit pure sugar?(ice cream, chocolate, etc)

title is misleading if that is true

Ingenol

I should clarify: they don't specifically say pure sugar is bad, rather one gets a sense they are "hedging their bets" by recommending sugar from fruit, honey, molasses, etc., rather than just saying "It's awesome to eat a cup of white sugar every day if it makes you feel good" (as does Danny Roddy, for example). It may be this is a) to sell more books or b) they are concerned that neophytes will take it as a green light to eat candy bars ad libitum.

Overall if you are just starting it might be helpful, but if you're fairly well-versed in Peat I don't see it adding anything to your knowledge.

OP
D

Dutchie

I just wondered what kind o recipes are in there......if the largest amount/all are fruitbased? and if they have categories as in breakfast,lunch,dinner?

montmorency

I don't believe that Ray says it's awesome to eat a cup of white sugar, or similar.

I got the distinct impression from several of his interviews I've heard that he would always prefer sugar from natural sources, i.e. fruit or good honey.

Which is not to say he avoids, e.g. Coke or ice-cream (but he has issues with some commercial ice-creams for other reasons than sugar, e.g. carageen).

Surely it's not controversial these days to say that refined sugar provides little in the way of nutrition, and that all you are getting is "empty calories"? (Which is not saying it's poison, like some people believe).

J

j.

montmorency said:
Surely it's not controversial these days to say that refined sugar provides little in the way of nutrition, and that all you are getting is "empty calories"? (Which is not saying it's poison, like some people believe).

Saying that when you consume sugar you don't get nutrients is as relevant as saying that when you consume cheese you get almost no water, and therefore, you shouldn't consume cheese. Or when you consume oranges you don't get vitamin A, therefore, yo shouldn't consume oranges.