I Didn't Quit Sugar Book+Recipe book

Dutchie

Is there someone who has read the I Didnt Quit Sugar book and Recipe book? Is it interesting/valuable?

Ingenol

It's pretty basic, but it has a nice entry-level discussion of some of the Peat principles. Probably not that useful if you already have a Peat-style routine going on, but it might be nice to show to a friend or family member as some "evidence" that sugar is actually good for you, and why it's preferable to starch or grains.

The authors do seem to harbor some fear of straight-up processed white sugar, as they're always mentioning "sugar from whole food/natural sources" as if it is somehow not okay to just eat a tablespoon of white sugar. I haven't tried any of the recipes--they seem pretty basic but they look tasty. Overall I think it's only $15 so for what it is, not terrible.

key

so they quit pure sugar?(ice cream, chocolate, etc)

title is misleading if that is true

Ingenol

I should clarify: they don't specifically say pure sugar is bad, rather one gets a sense they are "hedging their bets" by recommending sugar from fruit, honey, molasses, etc., rather than just saying "It's awesome to eat a cup of white sugar every day if it makes you feel good" (as does Danny Roddy, for example). It may be this is a) to sell more books or b) they are concerned that neophytes will take it as a green light to eat candy bars ad libitum.

Overall if you are just starting it might be helpful, but if you're fairly well-versed in Peat I don't see it adding anything to your knowledge.

Dutchie

I just wondered what kind o recipes are in there......if the largest amount/all are fruitbased? and if they have categories as in breakfast,lunch,dinner?

montmorency

I don't believe that Ray says it's awesome to eat a cup of white sugar, or similar.

I got the distinct impression from several of his interviews I've heard that he would always prefer sugar from natural sources, i.e. fruit or good honey.

Which is not to say he avoids, e.g. Coke or ice-cream (but he has issues with some commercial ice-creams for other reasons than sugar, e.g. carageen).

Surely it's not controversial these days to say that refined sugar provides little in the way of nutrition, and that all you are getting is "empty calories"? (Which is not saying it's poison, like some people believe).

J

j.

montmorency said:
Surely it's not controversial these days to say that refined sugar provides little in the way of nutrition, and that all you are getting is "empty calories"? (Which is not saying it's poison, like some people believe).

Saying that when you consume sugar you don't get nutrients is as relevant as saying that when you consume cheese you get almost no water, and therefore, you shouldn't consume cheese. Or when you consume oranges you don't get vitamin A, therefore, yo shouldn't consume oranges.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
burtlancast Why didn't Trump warn about a PEACEFUL march on Washington ? Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 107
ecstatichamster The First Millenium Largely Didn't Exist, And 1000AD A Huge Catastrophe Killed Most People Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 53
Velve921 What Are Things You Can Do Now That You Didn’t Believe Would Be Possible? Metabolism 1
J Effect Of Mushrooms On Fecal Matter Weight - After Raw Carrots Didn't Do It Anymore Digestion 11
cinderella If You Didn't Listen To What Foods Ray Peat Eats Yet Diet 47
Mito Pfizer Had Clues Its Blockbuster Drug Could Prevent Alzheimer’s. Why Didn’t It Tell The World? Alzheimer's 5
ecstatichamster Carb And Fat Separation Didn’t Work - I’m Counting Calories Now Diet 98
Parsifal 2 Years Since I Didn't Come Here: I Healed All Of My Health Problems Testimonials 104
A Tianeptine Didn't Work Tianeptine 6
T Woman (22) Dies Because Operator Didn't Take Her Seriously And Laughed Miscellaneous 4
H I Didn't Want To Make ANOTHER Thread On Hairloss But Hair & Nails 2
R Just A Heads Up For People Who Didn't Think Things Though Like I Did With Supplements Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 0
Luckytype I Didn't Wash My Hair For 32 Days. Here Is What Happened(no Shampoo) Hair & Nails 40
UltraSuperior Didn't Peat For The Summer, Hairline Getting Destroyed Now Ask For Help or Advice 11
ken Methylene Blue Fail Alzhemiers Trial - (No It Didn't) Methylene Blue 23
ecstatichamster my urine smells sometimes, it didn't used to, is this good or bad? Diet 3
F I'm Glad I Didn't Get A Varicocelectomy Male Issues 3
A Why Didn't I Think To Try This Supplement Sooner? Supplements 9
M Albert Szent-Györgyi - he didn't only discover vitamin C Miscellaneous Health Discussions 2
N Blake "...didn’t Tolerate Vagueness or Empty Abstraction." Ray Peat Quotes 22
P Tobacco Smokers And COVID-19 - Quit, Continue, Cut Down, What? Alcohol, Tobacco, Drugs 10
B How To Quit The Daily 50mcg T4? Metabolism 16
Inaut Any Suggestions For Helping To Quit Marijuana? Ask For Help or Advice 39
A So I Quit Nicotine Overnight, Without An Urge Without Intention. Gelatin Ask For Help or Advice 3
Mito The New York Times: Many People Taking Antidepressants Discover They Cannot Quit Articles & Scientific Studies 8
johnwester130 Need To Quit Milk. Can I Use Eggshell Calcium To Replace The Lost Calcium ? Ask For Help or Advice 19
denise Quit Smoking And All (digestive) Hell Broke Loose Digestion 13
G Pope Francis says he is going to quit Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 15
A Ways to Quit Smoking? Ask For Help or Advice 4
J High sugar diet has wrecked my teeth, Decay and dentist say i need filling Oral Health 23
GelatinGoblin Low-Moderate sugar meal with no Protein, Serotonin inducing? Ask For Help or Advice 5
G Ray himself consumes 1600 calories of sugar per day, with 0 white sugar Beverages, Fruits, Sugars 39
P unlimited sugar cravings Diet 6
S Protein To Sugar Conversion Question Metabolism 11
Hgreen56 Salt, Sugar, And Dietary Fat Trigger Opioids In The Brain Which Can Contribute To Overeating Diet 4
Hgreen56 Ray Peat (high Sugar) Diet Works Only Temporarily (?) Diet 0
M Any Long Term High Sugar Consumers Here? Discussing Dietary Models 28
M Why Do I Crave A Huge Sugar Meal Every Night Before Sleeping? Ask For Help or Advice 27
D Sugar In Morning Coffee Difficulty Breathing? Blood Sugar 10
P Constipation Issues When Introducing Sugar In Diet Digestion 6
Hgreen56 Why Cause Sugar Adrenalin? Diet 40
C Anyone Cut Out All Refined Sugar? Diet 2
_lppaiva Anti-Peat Chemicals In White Sugar Debate - Anti-Peat 4
D Why Is It Again That Sugar Can Help Allergies But Starch Doesn't? Ask For Help or Advice 1
R Does Sugar Waste Magnesium? Ask For Help or Advice 4
ecstatichamster Ray Peat Interview #35: CO2, Ketosis, And Mitochondria | PUFA, Sugar, Iron, And AGEs | Progesterone And Cell Stabil Danny Roddy 21
T Does Sugar Raise Adrenaline? And What Causes Hypodypsia (lack Of Thirst) Ask For Help or Advice 8
J Low Blood Sugar Feeling Ask For Help or Advice 6
L Please Help (Mainly Sugar Diet) Metabolism 38
Recoen Masterjohn On Sugar And Covid iLoveSugar 5