I can only sleep 7 hours

If I go to sleep at 8:30 I wake up at 3:30, if I go to bed at 9:30 I wake up at 4:30, and if I go to bed at about 10:00 I wake up at 5:00. Does anyone know what causes this?

jdrop

If I go to sleep at 8:30 I wake up at 3:30, if I go to bed at 9:30 I wake up at 4:30, and if I go to bed at about 10:00 I wake up at 5:00. Does anyone know what causes this?
Don't know the cause but I had experienced the same for quite a long time. It was better than the insomnia years, though. Thyroid, progesterone/dhea and red light before bed seem to allow 8 hours.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’m on the 7 hour schedule too. Do you wake up feeling good? If so I think it’s fine.

Beastmode

I usually do
What are your morning temps when you wake up?

If your waking up and feeling good and your body temp and pulse go up gradually after breakfast (30-45 min,) your morning pulse and temp weren't indicators of high adrenalin, cortisol being what woke you up. More to this, but it can be a start.

If your body temp and pulse go down 30-45 min after breakfast, you're most likely having a surge of stress hormones in the early hours of the morning and what could be waking up.

I'm sure more people can add to this or "micro" correct what I wrote.

lampofred

The deeper your sleep, the less # of hours you need. Conversely if you're not entering slow-wave sleep you can sleep 12 hours and still not feel refreshed.

hei

Youths grow while asleep so I think it's foolhardy to suggest that shortened sleep hours are fine just because adults can get by like that.

Filosofy

Please get over the 8 hour myth. It hasn't been proven that all individuals need this much sleep. 7 hours is plenty if you cycle properly through delta and rem and do not wake. It all depends on the metabolism of the individual. Look into mesosorphism and ectomorphism. While some say it's bogus, it falls too well in with the ayurvedic constituional types for me to dismiss. Besides, it is pretty observable what body constitution and metabolism a person has. Just saying.

The Hadza (or some other sympathetic hunter tribe) sleep only six hours per night. And who is healthier than them at this point?

Why in the world would one sleep 7 hours and cry because one didn't sleep 8. Like the woman with the virginia ham crying she has no bread (she probably was a ham herself).

I can say that if you are worried about the timing Chinese Medicine can help, 4:30 is the hour of the lung meridian, and waking then could point to circulation issues, digestive issues or depression. How do you feel when you wake? Stressed, calm, what?

Mauritio

If you feel fine that's good. If you feel like 8 were better , maybe your liver can't hold enough glycogen for a full 8 hour cycle. Happened to me when ate mushrooms daily

Ignoramus

This has been happening to me lately too! I've quit coffee recently. I used to have restless sleeps with crazy dreams, but now I just close my eyes and teleport to the next day, dreamlessly. I feel ok, but I do feel like I'm missing out on REM sleep and dreams without that last hour. I took progesterone last night and managed to have some dreams; my brain feels better today for it.

My issue is that I'm waking up congested. I think that means my blood sugar and CO2 is dropping, but I'm not sure how I can keep those up. I already eat a lot during the day.

OP
PeatandPotatoes
This has been happening to me lately too! I've quit coffee recently. I used to have restless sleeps with crazy dreams, but now I just close my eyes and teleport to the next day, dreamlessly. I feel ok, but I do feel like I'm missing out on REM sleep and dreams without that last hour. I took progesterone last night and managed to have some dreams; my brain feels better today for it.

My issue is that I'm waking up congested. I think that means my blood sugar and CO2 is dropping, but I'm not sure how I can keep those up. I already eat a lot during the day.
I usually have that “teleport to the next day” thing as well, but I usually feel that I sleep better that way than I do with dreams

OP
PeatandPotatoes
Please get over the 8 hour myth. It hasn't been proven that all individuals need this much sleep. 7 hours is plenty if you cycle properly through delta and rem and do not wake. It all depends on the metabolism of the individual. Look into mesosorphism and ectomorphism. While some say it's bogus, it falls too well in with the ayurvedic constituional types for me to dismiss. Besides, it is pretty observable what body constitution and metabolism a person has. Just saying.

The Hadza (or some other sympathetic hunter tribe) sleep only six hours per night. And who is healthier than them at this point?

Why in the world would one sleep 7 hours and cry because one didn't sleep 8. Like the woman with the virginia ham crying she has no bread (she probably was a ham herself).

I can say that if you are worried about the timing Chinese Medicine can help, 4:30 is the hour of the lung meridian, and waking then could point to circulation issues, digestive issues or depression. How do you feel when you wake? Stressed, calm, what?
When I wake up I normally feel calm but not sleepy because I generally get out of bed almost right away

I sleep about six hours. But I take a nap of about half an hour to an hour every day in the afternoon

tom94

Don't know the cause but I had experienced the same for quite a long time. It was better than the insomnia years, though. Thyroid, progesterone/dhea and red light before bed seem to allow 8 hours.
Interesting response. Do you know where one can get hold of progesterone in the UK? Also, why DHEA?

jdrop

Interesting response. Do you know where one can get hold of progesterone in the UK? Also, why DHEA?
No I do not, sorry. Not taking for sleep, but it is an added benefit. Seeing it as an anti-catabolic, androgenic substance.