I can barely smell anything after drinking coffee. Is this normal?

This might sound peculiar, but one of my great pleasures is taking a morning walk and smelling the air. The trees, the tarmac, some woodsmoke drifitng from neaby, even traffic exhaust.

However, after my daily coffee, my sense of smell has basically gone. I can smell very pungent things, obviously, but I can no longer "smell the air".

My assumption is that this is basically coffee...fumes...getting on my olfactory membrane and covering up other smells.

But I'm curious if anyone knows any more about this? Could it be something more...biological? An allergic reaction?

PhoenixGaia

This seems unlikely to be caused by the coffee... as far as I know smell experts even use coffee to "reset" their smell temporarily

RealNeat

This might sound peculiar, but one of my great pleasures is taking a morning walk and smelling the air. The trees, the tarmac, some woodsmoke drifitng from neaby, even traffic exhaust.

However, after my daily coffee, my sense of smell has basically gone. I can smell very pungent things, obviously, but I can no longer "smell the air".

My assumption is that this is basically coffee...fumes...getting on my olfactory membrane and covering up other smells.

But I'm curious if anyone knows any more about this? Could it be something more...biological? An allergic reaction?
Does is coincide with nasal congestion?

Austin Resch

Have you recently had any cold/flu? I have read that along with being common in some people after an infection, it may deplete ones body of zinc, and a notable symptom of zinc deficiency is loss of taste/smell. Maybe including more oysters, liver, muscles, could hopefully help?

Back
Top Bottom