I asked Ray about Noopept. It enhances cognitive function and reduces learned helplessness

Mauritio

Noopept (n-phenylacetyl-l-prolylglycine ethyl ester or GVS-111) is an ampakine nootropic similar in action to the racetam-class of compounds. Noopept is up to 1000-times more potent than the original racetam, Piracetam.

Noopept is known for boosting cognition, memory, focus, motivation, learning, perception, logical thinking and mood.

Noopept reduces “learned helplessness” – a form of behavior closely related to anxiety, depression, and high serotonin.

Noopept administration led to the normalization of GABA, glycine, and aspartate levels and an increase in dopamine levels.

• Brain Optimization: Noopept increases Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) and Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF). Critical for neuroplasticity and Long-Term Potentiation. Brain health gets a boost along with long-term memory.
  • Neuroprotection: Noopept prevents the release of excess glutamate in your brain. Glutamate is the brain’s primary excitatory neurotransmitter. When there’s a lack of oxygen in the brain, neurons can’t receive glutamate. This leads to toxic levels of glutamate within brain cells. And can result in neuron damage and death. Diminishing this neurotoxic overload with Noopept is potent neuroprotection.
  • Brain Waves: Noopept boosts Alpha and Beta brain wave activity. You become calmer and more creative. It’s easier to go into a flow state. And you are prone to making innovative and resourceful decisions.
Here are Ray's thoughts on Noopept:

"It seems generally very safe. The effect on HIF suggests that it shouldn’t be used continuously."

View attachment 26656
From Ray's current newsletter :

"...HIF, which is a crucial factor in promoting iron absorption,and which activates many potentially dangerous enzymes, including heme oxygenase, HO, which turns heme groups into free iron, carbon monoxide, and bilirubin. HIF also activates aromatase, increasing estrogen (Samarajeewa,et al., 2013)."

milkboi

I really like Noopept so far. I've taken it for two days, 20 mg/d sublingually split into two doses. I didn't expect any immediate effects, but there were actually some profound ones: very noticeable anxiolytic, I was doing stuff in public that were slightly not out of the ordinary and where I usually would care much more about the reactions of the people around me, now I just observed them and did my thing without caring. Also, conversations flowed very well. Additionally, my mood was enhanced, it just felt like I having a really good day, even though from the outside it wasn't that exciting at all.

Side-effects I got that might be attributable to Noopept were a headache (likely triggered by light) and some brain fog and along with that slightly decreased verbal fluency. The brain fog is actually relatively common with higher neuronal growth factors because your brain is literally rewiring itself and therefore the old neuronal pathways your brain is used to might be interrupted.

Anyways, let's see if those effects will last. I'll go for 56 days on and 4 days off which is a schedule recommended by Russian scientists IIRC

Last edited:

db9

"...HIF, which is a crucial factor in promoting iron absorption,and which activates many potentially dangerous enzymes, including heme oxygenase, HO, which turns heme groups into free iron, carbon monoxide, and bilirubin. HIF also activates aromatase, increasing estrogen (Samarajeewa,et al., 2013)."
”The effect of noopept (N-phenylacetyl-L-prolyl-glycine ethyl ester) on the DNA-binding activity of HIF-1 in SH-SH5Y cells and the mechanisms of stabilization of this transcription factor were studied in vitro. Noopept was shown to increase both the basal DNA-binding activity of HIF-1 and the activity induced by various hypoxia mimetics. The mechanism of stabilization of the oxygen-sensitive HIF1α subunit by noopept involves the inhibition of HIF-1 prolyl hydroxylase, which is indirectly indicated by the data obtained using the ODD-Luc reporter, and the positive effect on the level of the HIF1α protein. It was revealed that the effect of noopept is accompanied by changes in gene expression, which belong to different metabolic pathways and are controlled by the transcription factor HIF-1.”

Doesn’t this mean that it inhibits HIF-1 which would be beneficial according to Ray?

this is the study: Cognitive Enhancer Noopept Activates Transcription Factor HIF-1 - Doklady Biochemistry and Biophysics

My opinion: After trying so many nootropics and knowing that I suffer from undiagnosed ADD (vyvanse and low dose lsd were the most effective things I’ve tried but impossible to use long term cause I can’t get a prescription for one and the other one is illegal) and Noopept being the most effective for my learned self helplessness mostly charecterized by a freeze response I hardly care anymore if the net effect is positive or negative by Noopept.
I know this is a forum directed to healing and doing the right things healthwise but there comes a point where you realize that you can’t escape the hamster wheel and learned self helplessness combined with add doesn’t make it better.
Excuse my English and if I misinterpreted the study.

db9

How large was the increase in dopamine levels? I can’t see the whole study unfortunately.

Mauritio

How large was the increase in dopamine levels? I can’t see the whole study unfortunately.
The post didn't even mention dopamine

db9

I really like Noopept so far. I've taken it for two days, 20 mg/d sublingually split into two doses. I didn't expect any immediate effects, but there were actually some profound ones: very noticeable anxiolytic, I was doing stuff in public that were slightly not out of the ordinary and where I usually would care much more about the reactions of the people around me, now I just observed them and did my thing without caring. Also, conversations flowed very well. Additionally, my mood was enhanced, it just felt like I having a really good day, even though from the outside it wasn't that exciting at all.

Side-effects I got that might be attributable to Noopept were a headache (likely triggered by light) and some brain fog and along with that slightly decreased verbal fluency. The brain fog is actually relatively common with higher neuronal growth factors because your brain is literally rewiring itself and therefore the old neuronal pathways your brain is used to might be interrupted.

Anyways, let's see if those effects will last. I'll go for 56 days on and 4 days off which is a schedule recommended by Russian scientists IIRC
How is your experiment going thus far?
I’m slightly concerned about the implications it might have in lactate production as it according to some study that someone on Reddit had read it acts as a IGF-1 and lactate mimetic. Have you noticed anything particular regarding your cardio and breathing? I remember than when I did the wim hoff breathing I felt in a similar way.

Other than that I love the way Noopept makes me feel. It gets rid of the social anxiety and the learned self helplessness and makes me feel like a man and like I could conquer most things, I felt in a similar way on vyvanse (adhd) meds which tells me that it probably has a dopaminergic effect. Although yesterday I had a crushing headache 3 hours after taking my Noopept dose which hadn’t occurred before, and it happened directly after a very meat heavy meal.

db9

Noopept (n-phenylacetyl-l-prolylglycine ethyl ester or GVS-111) is an ampakine nootropic similar in action to the racetam-class of compounds. Noopept is up to 1000-times more potent than the original racetam, Piracetam.

Noopept is known for boosting cognition, memory, focus, motivation, learning, perception, logical thinking and mood.

Noopept reduces “learned helplessness” – a form of behavior closely related to anxiety, depression, and high serotonin.

Noopept administration led to the normalization of GABA, glycine, and aspartate levels and an increase in dopamine levels.

• Brain Optimization: Noopept increases Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) and Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF). Critical for neuroplasticity and Long-Term Potentiation. Brain health gets a boost along with long-term memory.
  • Neuroprotection: Noopept prevents the release of excess glutamate in your brain. Glutamate is the brain’s primary excitatory neurotransmitter. When there’s a lack of oxygen in the brain, neurons can’t receive glutamate. This leads to toxic levels of glutamate within brain cells. And can result in neuron damage and death. Diminishing this neurotoxic overload with Noopept is potent neuroprotection.
  • Brain Waves: Noopept boosts Alpha and Beta brain wave activity. You become calmer and more creative. It’s easier to go into a flow state. And you are prone to making innovative and resourceful decisions.
Here are Ray's thoughts on Noopept:

"It seems generally very safe. The effect on HIF suggests that it shouldn’t be used continuously."

View attachment 26656
How large and significant was the increase in dopamine levels according to the study? I can’t access it unfortunately.

Chad_Catholic

I used to take Noopept seven years ago or so, and I remember having a positive experience with it like experiencing an increase in cognition and a calming effect comparable to l-theanine but more cerebral. I would recommend you try taking it.

theoogabear

how’d it go bro?