I Asked Peat About His Legacy

you do not think that male virgins of the age of 29 generally have the need and motive to have sex for the first time, and that single women who want to have kids generally have the need and motive to get with a man who has set up his life to do so?
if we are completely unable to generalize, we just have no basis whatsoever for discussion
I guess as an artist (I make music) it's part of my nature to seek new perspectives in understanding people and things. I have to be totally open to infinite amount of possibilities to have the creative channel open. And I can't stand seeing life and human relationships just from a cold means to an end-perspective.

Ableton

I guess as an artist (I make music) it's part of my nature to seek new perspectives in understanding people and things. I have to be totally open to infinite amount of possibilities to have the creative channel open. And I can't stand seeing life and human relationships just from a cold means to an end-perspective.
Yeah me neither. Good for you that you make music btw. Thats a nice halo. You think you would have made the same experiences and had the same perspectives if you were entering data in a database for 40 hours a week?

S-VV

I am tall, but my wife dated me despite tha
You cant make this up.
“I always liked short men, IT JUST SO HAPPENS that my husband is above average height. I like him for his personality, teehehe”
Memes inform reality.

Ableton

You cant make this up.
“I always liked short men, IT JUST SO HAPPENS that my husband is above average height. I like him for his personality, teehehe”
Memes inform reality.
brutal
this thread would become pretty popular if you'd link it to incels.co or some lookism forum where ray peat forum is quite known anyways and already seen as a meme in that there is lots of coping going on even outside of philosophy (thread about progesterone regrowing lost hands for example, or smoking being good another recent example :D)

or the next guy: "I'm not so sure about that man. I have heard of this unattractive guy losing his virginity. At 29."

mind boggling

Last edited:

managing

I think you are diving right into the heart of RP's comment about digital culture. A lot of people hear that and think "oh, he thinks I should quit social media".

But, as usual, he is (IMHO) saying something much deeper, very Marshall McLuhan like. Digital is 1 or 0. Good looking, or not. Tall/Short. etc. Your musical background helps you no doubt see continua and nuance. Even digital music is not necessarily "digital" in this sense (although live music can be "digital" it is hard to imagine someone choosing to experience that).

There is no doubt that social media DOES promote and teach "digital culture" as RP called it. But it is not because of the bits and bytes and binaries underlying it. It is because of the dehumanizing qualities. Many feel free to call someone libtard or a deplorable online because it is just some avatar--a stand in for a person. Not a person. Swing a sword in p2p game, or launch insults on raypeatforum

S-VV

Reality is not analog. Quanta of light for example. When you perceive a sound, there is a minimal excitatory volume, below which no sound will be registered, this minimal volume is tightly related to the resolutive capacities of the human perceptive systems, which are not infinite. This is due to the all-or-nothing nature of the neuronal action potential, which is more "digital" than analog.

Finally, digital does not mean 0 or 1. It means a system of counting in base two. By extending the digits in your binary number, you get arbitrarily close to an "analog" scale.

Ableton

Reality is not analog. Quanta of light for example. When you perceive a sound, there is a minimal excitatory volume, below which no sound will be registered, this minimal volume is tightly related to the resolutive capacities of the human perceptive systems, which are not infinite. This is due to the all-or-nothing nature of the neuronal action potential, which is more "digital" than analog.

Finally, digital does not mean 0 or 1. It means a system of counting in base two. By extending the digits in your binary number, you get arbitrarily close to an "analog" scale.

thats beside the point. quanta of light might be digital, but so is the method of inquiry. we can only open digital windows into reality with science. in thousands of years we will probably find something that explains light even better than quantums, and even that will merely be a picture of reality, not reality itself.

the argument if the sum of nature is more than its digital parts is beside the point also (a metaphysic argument), because it seems impossible to decipher all parts anyways. the parts are infinite.

it just that the sexual liberation of the west has opened a very powerful and quite frankly depressing digital window into human nature. Everyone arguing against it here stepped into a huge fat bowl and embarassed himself a little bit (not that that would matter).

I still have mild hopes that there are snowflakes out there to be honest and that love exists. It's just difficult to keep believing in it when you open your eyes and read between the lines a little bit.

Ableton

I think you are diving right into the heart of RP's comment about digital culture. A lot of people hear that and think "oh, he thinks I should quit social media".

But, as usual, he is (IMHO) saying something much deeper, very Marshall McLuhan like. Digital is 1 or 0. Good looking, or not. Tall/Short. etc. Your musical background helps you no doubt see continua and nuance. Even digital music is not necessarily "digital" in this sense (although live music can be "digital" it is hard to imagine someone choosing to experience that).

There is no doubt that social media DOES promote and teach "digital culture" as RP called it. But it is not because of the bits and bytes and binaries underlying it. It is because of the dehumanizing qualities. Many feel free to call someone libtard or a deplorable online because it is just some avatar--a stand in for a person. Not a person. Swing a sword in p2p game, or launch insults on raypeatforum

the west is completely and utterly failing ugly/unattractive young people. they are dehumanized in the sense that certain parts of them are not seen as good enough, and they are socially sanctioned for it and getting body dysmorphia about it because of media. that is a digital practice if I have ever seen one.

move to Dagestan or something if you have an ugly kid and want it to grow up humanly. that ***t barely matters over there. the east is where being a good person actually pays of, not only philosophically, but also socially, which in turn will make you not just happier but even better as a person. You treat people like ***t? They turn into ***t.

The social fabric over there doesn't allow for discrimination, and everyone is better off without it. Even the women.

Last edited:
or the next guy: "I'm not so sure about that man. I have heard of this unattractive guy losing his virginity. At 29."
Lol that anecdote wasn't a basis for my worldview.. Just an example that popped into my mind pointing towards the fact that reality doesn't fit in the small box you try to put it in. I think you should spend more time on figuring out what a person is trying to communicate instead of sticking to your first impression. Your overconfidence in your grand conclusions about what a person thinks based on a couple of words is astonishing. Humble yourself. The arrogance, impatience, rudeness and lack of curiosity you have demonstrated is a perfect example of why I rarely bother to take part in the conversation here anymore.

I also think he's saying something much more deeper. And William Blake has been a huuuuge influence for Peat in this whole thing..

I once asked Peat a question relating to the interpretation of the Bible, his answer would be absolutely perfect for this thread but for some reason I don't have the email in my folder anymore. :( The answer was profoundly profoundly influential and liberating for me.

Ableton

Lol that anecdote wasn't a basis for my worldview.. Just an example that popped into my mind pointing towards the fact that reality doesn't fit in the small box you try to put it in. I think you should spend more time on figuring out what a person is trying to communicate instead of sticking to your first impression. Your overconfidence in your grand conclusions about what a person thinks based on a couple of words is astonishing. Humble yourself. The arrogance, impatience, rudeness and lack of curiosity you have demonstrated is a perfect example of why I rarely bother to take part in the conversation here anymore.
You have posted another post since.

And the example you provided was just another anecdote that „my worldview“ describes our world better than the one you are currently struggling to hold on to, which is why you are trying to defend it here without talking sense and despite not enjoying the discussion

managing

Not sure if you meant this as a reply to me or not. This is all true, and aside from my points.

managing

I also think he's saying something much more deeper. And William Blake has been a huuuuge influence for Peat in this whole thing..

I once asked Peat a question relating to the interpretation of the Bible, his answer would be absolutely perfect for this thread but for some reason I don't have the email in my folder anymore. :( The answer was profoundly profoundly influential and liberating for me.
I bet you are right. I'd love to hear more about the tie in to William Blake. Not my expertise.

Ableton

The leftist liberals will happily engage in deconstruction of every thinkable powerstructure - except of course lookism and the dating market - despite admitting to its commodification through digital culture. I wonder why?
While normies are busy defending their future wives on reddit, they aren’t even going to get acknowledged by them for another decade. Brutal

I bet you are right. I'd love to hear more about the tie in to William Blake. Not my expertise.
It took awhile before Blake's work touched me but when it did, it rocked my world. Here's a couple of quotes by him:

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

"I feel that a man may be happy in this world, and I know that this world is a world of imagination and vision. I see everything I paint in this world, but everybody does not see alike. To the eyes of a miser a guinea is far more beautiful than the sun, and a bag worn with the use of money has more beautiful proportions than a vine filled with grapes. The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and by these I shall not regulate my proportions; and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself. As a man is, so he sees. As the eye is formed, such are its powers. You certainly mistake, when you say that the visions of fancy are not to be found in this world."

"Eternity is in love with the productions of time. The busy bee has no time for sorrow. The hours of folly are measur’d by the clock; but of wisdom, no clock can measure."

"Shame is Pride’s cloak. Prisons are built with stones of Law, brothels with bricks of Religion."

"The fox condemns the trap, not himself."
I think this is about the famous fable The Fox & the Grapes. I think it's totally misunderstood by the masses and is really about realizing religious self-righteousness, leaven of the pharisees as Jesus called it. It's about Law vs Grace.

This is probably a good place to add a poem of mine called Lucifer:

Give me the ghost of you
Give me the ink
Give me one's and zero's
You're living filth
Give me a concept I can measure
I don't care about your pain or pleasure
I need to know your limitations
So I know how much to take from your bread
Without it I'd be dead and I don't want to die
Don't ask me why, this is how I get by
Life's a struggle for me, it's my destiny
So give me life or give me death
Give your time, give your breath
Give a little lamb, I don't give a damn
My duty I must do, so I must order you
Obey! Obey! Obey your life away

Maljam

Can you remember his reply, paraphrased?

Can you remember his reply, paraphrased?
No sorry, it's been over two years and it was more then a couple of words. I think I actually promised him I won't forward the answer ('cause I wanted as deep answer as possible and I think he's aware people forward his responses so he can be a little wary :D). Maybe I deleted the email so that I wouldn't forward it in the future, I don't remember.

yerrag

Me: What would you like your legacy to be?

Peat: Ending oligarchy and ending the digital culture are important goals.

Why oligarchy and not authoritarianism? Everything is political, it seems. Seems to me it implies a long slog. Perhaps an almost impossible situation to overcome. Sisyphean.

And digital. The need to have everything measured and quantified and digitized. Qualitative observations are passe.

Lost is the use of the Achilles Tendon Reflex test. To observe how the tendon reacts to the neuro hammer requires observation and judgment. The certainty of numerical values in a thyroid panel is deemed more accurate. One costs nothing. The other can be paid by health insurance.