I Asked Peat About His Legacy

Jessie

What I learn from Peat is a very basic principle. That principle is don't believe everything you hear and only believe half the stuff you read.

LeeLemonoil

Great question. Great responses so far. A highlight of this Forum.

„I want to know how the body works“

That’s it - everything else what he perceives, thinks and writes is connected to that.

Also true:
he is far more detached than we might think (and might not want to accept easily, as we see him as a benevolent health guru)

Also true:
He is fluid and evolves. And that’s why „I want to know how the body works“ is probably a goal, a desire that both was always latently in him but also came into being because of circumstances and development.
At some point in his younger life, probably also Dr. Peat had more concrete, more mundane motivations revolving about personal forthcoming, economic, academic and social status and material well-being. He tried to run a self-founded Institute after all, that’s no small attempt to achieve the mentioned things.

He was thwarted by the powers that were, the medical and political establishment.
What they couldn’t thwart was his desire to learn and gain knowledge. The detachment likely began there. He analyzed why and how the system works that can foster so many negative things and hinder so many positives. He would also have started to analyze what enabled this kind of negative, destructive powers, why society, history, civilization is in the sorry state it is.
In the process, he found that everything is the same. How the human organism works is how everything else „downstream“ from that works. Society, culture, politics . All are mere reflections and consequences of how the human organism works in the context of the eco-systems it faces. This is the biggest of all rabbit holes you can follow. Evolution, laws of nature ... you need to try to study and understand everything there is to know to give into the great desire of wanting to know.
And eventually everything you „know“ will influence his own life choices. How to ear, dwell, work - live - so to find a balance between being able to study and study but also to stay in the physical and mental condition he found to be in line with his knowledge and findings about how the body works.
You will also begin to despise and oppose those who assume that very mantle and control this field: Pharma, quack academia and doctors as a side effect.

And you will try to help people in their health struggles with all you learned to be true. The detachment thing. Not because helping others is his foremost, selfless wish. No. Every disfunctional beings turning to him for advise offer him opportunity to learn more. And to verify or falsify what he recommends. His willingness to help is basically staying true to the principled he discovered. The futility, the mind-boggling schizophrenia and contrsdiction of what is really true and the unfathomable malign and disfunctional environment so many humans that are not able to understand as deeply as him face. This will force a compassions that is more rooted in the intellect than the „heart“.

I think Peat at this point doesn’t care about how his legacy will eventually turn out. It is beyond his control, and beyond meaning. What he does and did was right in itself. Commanded and determined by the desire to know and to do to enable him gaining knowledge. To really care about how strangers, people you never met and life long after you will think of you - that is something distinctly in contrast to what is both sane and in line to Peats definition of sanity. It’s pathological, irrational vanity. No human, no animal in touch with the great mystery and the great wonder and tragedy that is nature feels that need

Last edited:

Luann

Agreed with @TheSir and @lampofred

Peatful you would be a good teacher : ) getting the whole room to interact and discuss the topic at hand. also i would have given in and answered already XD

OP
Peatful

Peatful

Agreed with @TheSir and @lampofred

Peatful you would be a good teacher : ) getting the whole room to interact and discuss the topic at hand. also i would have given in and answered already XD
The pupils are good- not the teacher.

Answer will be posted tonight. East coast time USA.

Thx @Luann

OP
Peatful

Peatful

OP
Peatful

Peatful

Me: What would you like your legacy to be?

Peat: Ending oligarchy and ending the digital culture are important goals.

akgrrrl

Each of the answers from our members captured pieces of the answer. My two cents is that the intelligentsia of Ray Peat forum as a whole will be the full legacy of Dr.Raymond Peat.

lvysaur

haha, most lucid people are anarcho-primitivists to at least some extent

Ableton

the digital is inherently anti-social, thats the main problem with it.

If you expand the word past what we commonly understand it as (basically a fancy way of talking computers, internet, interfaces and the worlds they provide) as a philosophical way of world appropriation (deciphering nature by transcripting it all the way down to zeros and ones as an endgoal) that has characterized modernity (especially modern sciences), you could also make a more far fetched, postmodern argument I guess. But I do not know Peat (who is subversive in content, not so much in form) well enough to know if he would imply such a thing.

The fact he coupled digital culture with oligarchy makes me think it though. The digital logic of modern sciences is an oligarchy in its own rights. Peat cannot transcend this (no one can), but in some of his articles he does point out (deconstruct) how some series of experiments (language games) in the field of medicine went wrong - with drastic effects.

It's a shame most people here seem to think that these failures always have to be the result of conspiracies, and not inherently flawed logic; and that the only oligarchies to exist always have to have the ability to consist of people who can meet up at a round table.

Last edited:

Mauritio

Doesnt he participate in the digital culture by giving interviews over the internet ,publishing his stuff over the internet , or using the internet for his research ?
Maybe he meant the social networks and what they are doing to our brains ?

Ableton

Doesnt he participate in the digital culture by giving interviews over the internet ,publishing his stuff over the internet , or using the internet for his research ?
Maybe he meant the social networks and what they are doing to our brains ?
it's a term that is supposed to describe how technology, and possibly a digital philosophical world view, changes the way humans interact, create, investigate. Not only on the internet or through the internet, but in general and extending into the analogue world. it is perfectly possible to research on digital infrastructure like the internet without doing so in a digital modus, and it is perfectly possible to research in your grandmas school books in a digital modus. to define the digital as the internet is too close minded

Mauritio

it's a term that is supposed to describe how technology, and possibly a digital philosophical world view, changes the way humans interact, create, investigate. Not only on the internet or through the internet, but in general and extending into the analogue world. it is perfectly possible to research on digital infrastructure like the internet without doing so in a digital modus, and it is perfectly possible to research in your grandmas school books in a digital modus. to define the digital as the internet is too close minded

So you mean outsourcing our memory by using google instead of our brain .
Using social media instead of real human contact/interaction. That sort of thing ?

Ableton

So you mean outsourcing our memory by using google instead of our brain .
Using social media instead of real human contact/interaction. That sort of thing ?

exactly. great examples.
or using "stress" in health debates on a forum when you run out of zeros and ones to describe whats going on. that sort of thing also

Mauritio

exactly. great examples.
or using "stress" in health debates on a forum when you run out of zeros and ones to describe whats going on. that sort of thing also
Interesting that he mentions those things and not a word about hormones or metabolism...

gaze

177A0D09-14BA-4176-B9C8-61C9803634EB.jpeg

M

metabolizm

It was worth the wait.

I wonder what alternative to oligarchy Ray favours....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals