I Asked Peat About His Legacy

Discussion in 'Ray Peat Quotes' started by Peatful, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Peatful

Peatful Member

He responded quickly- and in typical Ray form- simply / profoundly.

Before I post- I would be curious as to what you all think he said.

Hopefully this is of interest to some of you.

Maybe this is well known and just a thoughtful reminder of who he is and what he stands for (or is against).

He answered it in terms of an “important goal”- and he said two concise specific things.

2. pepzorpdorp

pepzorpdorp Member

Vitamin D and thyroid??

3. Blossom

Blossom Moderator

What a great idea! I would guess it may be to teach people to learn/think for themselves instead of blindly following authorities and to change the current medical system. I can’t wait to find out his reply!

4. Maljam

Maljam Member

He wants the complete disestablishment of the medical industry? I believe he gave that answer to someone asking a similar question years ago.

5. Tarmander

Tarmander Member

downfall of the medical elite and the rise of the decentralized proletariat cow and orange tree farmers

6. OP
    Peatful

Peatful Member

This is awesome so far-

Keep it going!

7. Uselis

Uselis Member

I am definitely not familiar with his peronality as closely as perhaps most of you but from listening to his interviews he strikes me as somebody who would have legacy as outcome or side effect instead of priority. Something that his "followers" would emphasize rather then himself meaning that whatever activity he undertakes done purely for enjoyment and curiosity purposes.

Even more so for "important goal". Without getting too spiritual and stuff times where it felt like all "Peating" pieces fall together life indeed became goaless. There was joyfull urge to just enjoy and express myself. Of course it's very subjective what "successful" Peating feels like but in my short stints it was definitely without goals and such.

8. jb116

jb116 Member

I think this is a reasonable answer. I have come to realize the same thing about Dr. Peat. He is in it more for himself; his own curiosity and pursuit. Not in a consciously hoarding, proactively selfish way with malintent, no way, but as the expression of his inherent nature. As an adjunct, I of course don't think he would mind at all seeing big Pharm and Med tumble and crumble. His work and the fact he shares it is utterly humanistic but I don't think that is necessarily his primary drive. When Jodelle asked him not too long ago "what makes you or motivates you to help others so much?" and he responded "I want to know how the body works."
    Simple but tells you a lot. His work as a byproduct is definitely helpful and humanistic but I think he is more detached than people think. And this is not a criticism of that, just sharing my perspective.

Therefore his goals then would have to be to live as long and as healthy as possible while pursuing how the body, life, and universe works. And I think the side effects of helping people along the way while the psychos come crashing down would undoubtedly make him happy. Noble to me.

9. Recoen

Recoen Member

Great question!
    “Perceive, think, act”?

10. commas

commas Member

I think it’s to help people biologically so they can be more clear sighted politically

11. lampofred

lampofred Member

I never thought he had any agenda with his work, but my guesses would be that he wants to encourage people to 1) become independent problem-solvers and not blindly trust authority and 2) live cooperatively, not competitively (but that's not an excuse to be lazy lol). build ecosystems, adapt to existing ones, don't destroy what's already there to satisfy your own greed, rigidity, need for control.

Really interested in the actual answer.

12. OP
    Peatful

Peatful Member

1- I apologize in advance for withholding the information; I would be anxious to hear the answer.
    I will post his response tonight. I really want to see what people “perceive”.

2- I want to be clear... even though he answered quickly-
    a) I doubt he thinks in terms of a legacy. (So I was surprised he actually answered).
    b) I think he’s fluid and evolves in his thinking. Meaning- a year from now he may shift or fine tune.
    My assumption only.

Hope more answers come in.
    You guys are really a special community.

@charlie <- thank you

13. X3CyO

X3CyO Member

Uprising of open-source everything; retro-suburbia; globalized localism/communities in the context of the world rather than individualism. Honesty; and as a result more solving of problems rather than treatment. One Child Policy/ Collective Consensus.

Those are things I hope for,

I agree with the sentiments surrounding him providing more info in regards to a context/perspective to pass on rather than the actual answers since he is dynamic.

14. charlie

charlie The Law & Order Admin

:hattip

15. TheSir

TheSir Member

Certainly it can be said that Peat's goal is not to undermine the medical industry, or any similarly practical goal. Ray is an abstract thinker who seeks truth for sake of truth only, with the byproducts of his inquiries being of secondary importance, even if helpful to others.

Peat doesn't want to tell you what to do. He wants to help you figure out how you could help yourself. Thus, Peat's sees himself leaving behind nuggets of information which the people who come after him may then use as they want to. He is merely sharing the truth as he sees it, leaving you with the freedom to do whatever you want with it. That is as far as someone like him is going to allow himself to think about legacy.

16. retroactive

retroactive Member

Something about continual learning, questioning assumptions and humility?

17. Tristan Loscha

Tristan Loscha Member

He wants to increase phenotypical intelligence and perception processing and takes the infantile aggression of retarded medical practitioners personal. He is building an army.

18. Comstock

Comstock Member

@Peatful What was the actual wording of the question?

19. tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod Member

I'm thinking it's getting people to take change of their own health, and the downfall of the medical industrial complex.

20. OP
    Peatful

Peatful Member

“What would you like your legacy to be?”