I am lactose intolerant - Goat's Milk, Cow's Milk, Sheep's Milk & Casein. What now?

HumanLife

Hello!

I recently took a Food Intolerance test and I discovered I can't tolerate Goat's Milk, Cow's Milk, Sheep's Milk & Casein. The doctor told me to give my body a break from milk for three months so it can rebuild producing the lactase enzymes and see how I feel from there. In the meantime, what can I eat instead for calcium? I have tried egg shells, and they tasted awful and made me sick. Might have done them the wrong way though. It seems like Whey for protein shakes instead of Casein is a must. Thanks!

If it's just lactose intolerance, then buying lactose free milk would solve the problem, since the lactose is going to broken down into glucose and galactose by the lactase enzyme that they add to the milk. Casein allergy is more serious, and not as easy to fix as lactose intolerance. Jennifer is having success with goat's milk after she started supplementing thyroid I think.

Getting calcium without dairy can be pretty hard if you don't use a calcium supplement.You could try eating a lot of bok choy, which has a very sizeable amount of calcium( over 1g per kilo). It also has a lot of beta- carotene though, and that is a problem for some people.

I think eggshells can be problematic, due to them being calcium carbonate. That will neutralize your stomach acid, which, in a lot of people, is already low. Calcium citrate or calcium malate are forms I use personally. I buy USP calcium carbonate, USP citric acid and P.A. malic acid( I would buy it in the USP version if I could find it) and I mix them up in a cup, let it react and drink it twice a day after meals.

Kykeon

Hello!

I recently took a Food Intolerance test and I discovered I can't tolerate Goat's Milk, Cow's Milk, Sheep's Milk & Casein. The doctor told me to give my body a break from milk for three months so it can rebuild producing the lactase enzymes and see how I feel from there. In the meantime, what can I eat instead for calcium? I have tried egg shells, and they tasted awful and made me sick. Might have done them the wrong way though. It seems like Whey for protein shakes instead of Casein is a must. Thanks!
What test did you take?

OP
H

HumanLife

If it's just lactose intolerance, then buying lactose free milk would solve the problem, since the lactose is going to broken down into glucose and galactose by the lactase enzyme that they add to the milk. Casein allergy is more serious, and not as easy to fix as lactose intolerance. Jennifer is having success with goat's milk after she started supplementing thyroid I think.

Getting calcium without dairy can be pretty hard if you don't use a calcium supplement.You could try eating a lot of bok choy, which has a very sizeable amount of calcium( over 1g per kilo). It also has a lot of beta- carotene though, and that is a problem for some people.

I think eggshells can be problematic, due to them being calcium carbonate. That will neutralize your stomach acid, which, in a lot of people, is already low. Calcium citrate or calcium malate are forms I use personally. I buy USP calcium carbonate, USP citric acid and P.A. malic acid( I would buy it in the USP version if I could find it) and I mix them up in a cup, let it react and drink it twice a day after meals.

I see - never heard of bok choy. Will look into it a bit and see about what I can do about the USP calcium.

OP
H

HumanLife

What test did you take?

The Food Intolerance test, which we offer is a very good test that was developed and manufactured by DST Diagnostic in Germany.

Our test is an Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) that detects antibodies to foods. The test consists of an assay device that has been spotted with specially prepared extracts from different foods. We would need to take a blood sample through a finger prick; dilute it and transfer into the assay device to allow any antibodies that recognize the foods to bind to them. In this way, the foods causing antibody production in the patient can be identified.

The diagnostic kit tests your reaction to the following foods:

Grains: Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oat, Buckwheat, Amaranth, Goosefoot, Corn, Rice, Gluten

Nuts & Seeds: Peanut, Hazelnut, Almond, Cacao, Mustard

Egg: Egg White, Egg yolk

Milk: Cow’s milk, Goat’s milk, Sheep milk, Caesin

Vegetables: Carrot, Celery, Cabbage, Broccoli, Garlic, Onion, Leek, Potato

Fruits: Banana, Lemon, Orange, Strawberry, Grape, Peach, Apple, Pineapple, Kiwi fruit, Tomato

Legumes: Soy, Pea, Green bean

Meats: Lamb/Mutton, Pork, Beef, Chicken, Turkey

Fish & Seafood: Cod, Salmon, Trout, Tuna, Shrimp, Squid, Octopus

Others: Baker’s yeast, Brewer’s yeast, Coffee”

Serene

Wow! What are you supposed to eat?

I would like to point out that in the veterinary industry (former vet tech), they DO NOT rely on blood testing for food allergies. Some of the crappy vets do, but the better ones and most of the vet dermatologists/allergists will not use them.

They do a diet trial.

According to blood tests I have no issues with wheat, but when I eat it, I get bumps on my face and scalp (not pimples) and indigestion for a week.

Serene

Also I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that if you regularly eat something, especially around the testing time, it can show up that you are allergic to it when you are not.

L_C

I would think if you soak grinded eggshells in lemon juice or ACV for sometime that would bring ph of the eggshells down so it doesn't neutralize the stomach acid, right?

B

Blaze

The Food Intolerance test, which we offer is a very good test that was developed and manufactured by DST Diagnostic in Germany.

Our test is an Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA) that detects antibodies to foods. The test consists of an assay device that has been spotted with specially prepared extracts from different foods. We would need to take a blood sample through a finger prick; dilute it and transfer into the assay device to allow any antibodies that recognize the foods to bind to them. In this way, the foods causing antibody production in the patient can be identified.

The diagnostic kit tests your reaction to the following foods:

Grains: Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oat, Buckwheat, Amaranth, Goosefoot, Corn, Rice, Gluten

Nuts & Seeds: Peanut, Hazelnut, Almond, Cacao, Mustard

Egg: Egg White, Egg yolk

Milk: Cow’s milk, Goat’s milk, Sheep milk, Caesin

Vegetables: Carrot, Celery, Cabbage, Broccoli, Garlic, Onion, Leek, Potato

Fruits: Banana, Lemon, Orange, Strawberry, Grape, Peach, Apple, Pineapple, Kiwi fruit, Tomato

Legumes: Soy, Pea, Green bean

Meats: Lamb/Mutton, Pork, Beef, Chicken, Turkey

Fish & Seafood: Cod, Salmon, Trout, Tuna, Shrimp, Squid, Octopus

Others: Baker’s yeast, Brewer’s yeast, Coffee”
Be very skeptical my friend. Seems implausible to be allergic to that many things without a major autoimmune disorder. The only people who indeed are --- have a very rare malady called eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorder, which I highly doubt you have. They certainly would have mentioned it to you if they even thought that you might have EID instead of just suggesting to you that your lactose enzymes might return with a break from dairy.

Get caucasian kefir grains and make kefir at home - ferment it for at least 24 hours. It’s easy and fun and willl remove all the lactose from the milk.

OP
H

HumanLife

Wow! What are you supposed to eat?

I would like to point out that in the veterinary industry (former vet tech), they DO NOT rely on blood testing for food allergies. Some of the crappy vets do, but the better ones and most of the vet dermatologists/allergists will not use them.

They do a diet trial.

According to blood tests I have no issues with wheat, but when I eat it, I get bumps on my face and scalp (not pimples) and indigestion for a week.

I'm thinking of just sticking to parmesan cheese like I've done before. It doesn't have that much lactose, it's high in calcium, and I can't find anywhere of its casein content so I'm thinking it's not that high or much of a concern.

Noted about the diet trial. I wouldn't mind trying it out in a few months if I can find somewhere to have it done.

Weird about the blood test - maybe there's something else going.

Also I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that if you regularly eat something, especially around the testing time, it can show up that you are allergic to it when you are not.

I can see how that would make sense, but for me, ever since I started supplementing casein protein shake I get tinnitus in my left ear. Sometimes even just minutes after consumption, and this is from allegedly pure casein protein sources!

Tuna I eat once a month, and it was high in intolerance - it was the only fish that I had an intolerance too. I did eat a lot of pineapples for a while a few weeks ago and the test came medium intolerance but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

OP
H

HumanLife

Be very skeptical my friend. Seems implausible to be allergic to that many things without a major autoimmune disorder. The only people who indeed are --- have a very rare malady called eosinophilic gastrointestinal disorder, which I highly doubt you have. They certainly would have mentioned it to you if they even thought that you might have EID instead of just suggesting to you that your lactose enzymes might return with a break from dairy.
I think you may be mistaken here. The list there was of what the diagnostic tests allergies of. I don't have an allergy to most of them, just dairy products and tuna in high intolerance, and wheat, leaks and pineapples in medium intolerance.

I don’t really believe in these kind of tests. I use lactose-free milk I used to think I was not tolerant of milk but I was wrong. I drink about a half gallon a day. It has been very beneficial for me.

And there is widespread prejudice against milk in many health communities where people suffer from group think. I used to be that way myself. I thought cow’s milk was for cows only. And that mammals should never drink the milk of another mammal.

OP
H

HumanLife

I don’t really believe in these kind of tests. I use lactose-free milk I used to think I was not tolerant of milk but I was wrong. I drink about a half gallon a day. It has been very beneficial for me.

And there is widespread prejudice against milk in many health communities where people suffer from group think. I used to be that way myself. I thought cow’s milk was for cows only. And that mammals should never drink the milk of another mammal.

I suspect the test isn't completely wrong considering when I take casein I get really annoying tinnitus most of the time.

You're right about the widespread prejudice considering milk's health benefits, even being praised as being white blood, but I don't think it's completely innocent if you take more than you can handle. There can be a healthy middle ground instead of extremes on both sides but ultimately it's dependent on how the person feels taking it.

Jam

I've known people that have cured their "lactose intolerance" by drinking small quantities of raw milk daily, and slowly increasing the dosage over time.

B

Blaze

I think you may be mistaken here.
Perhaps so. Maybe I am. But as to the reasoning behind my comments:

It's not that I think that test is completely erroneous and without some merit. In my understanding, though, I just think the only flaw in those tests is that are designed to be way too sensitive and tend to flag even the smallest of reactions.
Anyway, If you decide to strictly go by your test results, you are left with very little you are now allowed to eat. You would have to massively restrict what you allow yourself to eat. That can't be good and probably will cause it's own health issues. The food restriction "cure" might be worse than the original problem. Would be nice if you could know which items on that test gave you the most extreme allergenic reaction. Then you could eliminate the worst offenders and keep the foods that provoked very little response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serene

I can see how that would make sense, but for me, ever since I started supplementing casein protein shake I get tinnitus in my left ear. Sometimes even just minutes after consumption, and this is from allegedly pure casein protein sources!
Yes. I guess if you are having obvious, repeatable symptoms then it is likely that the test is correct. Food allergies can change over time, though. I used to hate eggs as a child (i think it was a clue that I was actually intolerant of them), but now I love them and eat them with no issues. (Of course the eggs I buy now are probably way better quality than the supermarket eggs I ate as a kid).

I just dont understand why the human medical side is so hell-bent on blood tests for EVERYTHING. (Probably to avoid malpractice lawsuits)

DRs now treat numbers, not humans.

And if you dont show up + for some blood test they do (which of course we know many of the tests they use are faulty, inaccurate, or irrelevant) then you dont have that issue and probably need to see a psychiatrist.

I dont think you need a Dr for a diet trial either. They will recommend some high-PUFA low sugar diet that will make you worse. Get a notebook and do your own diet trial. Be aware you can have reactions up to 2-3 days after eating something.

"The true method of knowledge is experiment."

OP
H

HumanLife

Perhaps so. Maybe I am. But as to the reasoning behind my comments:

It's not that I think that test is completely erroneous and without some merit. In my understanding, though, I just think the only flaw in those tests is that are designed to be way too sensitive and tend to flag even the smallest of reactions.
Anyway, If you decide to strictly go by your test results, you are left with very little you are now allowed to eat. You would have to massively restrict what you allow yourself to eat. That can't be good and probably will cause it's own health issues. The food restriction "cure" might be worse than the original problem. Would be nice if you could know which items on that test gave you the most extreme allergenic reaction. Then you could eliminate the worst offenders and keep the foods that provoked very little response.

No, I meant that you may be mistaken in thinking (if that's what you might have thought) that I am allergic to everything on the list of what the test itself tests all of when it's just the dairy stuff and tuna I am highly allergic to.

I'm not going strictly by the results - I am aware of anecdotes and scientific evidence that completely abandoning dairy will make it harder to get back even while consuming a low amount of milk. That's why I still take dark chocolate which has a bit of milk and parmesan cheese - I didn't completely abandon it. I suspect the issue might really be my casein protein shake which I was taking two scoops of combined with milk.
Yes. I guess if you are having obvious, repeatable symptoms then it is likely that the test is correct. Food allergies can change over time, though. I used to hate eggs as a child (i think it was a clue that I was actually intolerant of them), but now I love them and eat them with no issues. (Of course the eggs I buy now are probably way better quality than the supermarket eggs I ate as a kid).

I just dont understand why the human medical side is so hell-bent on blood tests for EVERYTHING. (Probably to avoid malpractice lawsuits)

DRs now treat numbers, not humans.

And if you dont show up + for some blood test they do (which of course we know many of the tests they use are faulty, inaccurate, or irrelevant) then you dont have that issue and probably need to see a psychiatrist.

I dont think you need a Dr for a diet trial either. They will recommend some high-PUFA low sugar diet that will make you worse. Get a notebook and do your own diet trial. Be aware you can have reactions up to 2-3 days after eating something.

"The true method of knowledge is experiment."

I used to hate the taste of mushrooms, but now I'm okay with them. I wonder if it's because my tongue is less sensitive to toxins with age.

I agree that blood tests shouldn't be the end of all considering they don't show the full picture. My mom died of cancer and if they did deeper scans of her body they would have found her cancer earlier - it just isn't affordable to go the full way so it's half-measures unless you decide yourself to get a full test.

Funnily enough this test recommends not eating hydrogenated foods like margarine (only one line though) which is very weird to read considering how rampant margarine advertising is for "naturally" lowering cholesterol. It recommends a rotation cycle of 4 days to eat a bit of everything to get your macros and nutrients in order, so there isn't an exact bias other than being careful of not taking too much of a certain food.

B

Blaze

No, I meant that you may be mistaken in thinking (if that's what you might have thought) that I am allergic to everything on the list of what the test itself tests all of when it's just the dairy stuff and tuna I am highly allergic to.

I'm not going strictly by the results - I am aware of anecdotes and scientific evidence that completely abandoning dairy will make it harder to get back even while consuming a low amount of milk. That's why I still take dark chocolate which has a bit of milk and parmesan cheese - I didn't completely abandon it. I suspect the issue might really be my casein protein shake which I was taking two scoops of combined with milk.

Ahhh...that’s much much better. The test items that you listed and I wrongly assumed that you reacted negatively to —-listed almost every food under the sun. Glad that wasn’t the case. And it happily leaves you with many more foods you can eat and less you must avoid. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom