I Am Forced To Re-validate My Email Every Time I Login

Terma

Hi, I'm not trying to make this more political than it has to be, but it's become ridiculous. For the record I have compromised my personal beliefs an unhealthy number of times and I am amazingly drunk and it's the only reason I am writing this - I am actually completely dead inside. I'm a near-20 year internet veteran and on most forums when I am presented with these obstacles I try to overcome them and after 3 failed attempts I usually give up and never post again. This is not a personal thing against the admin because maybe he is simply not aware.

Ever since day 1 (trying to sign up) I've had huge hurdles trying to sign up and login to this forum. Initially the Securi firewall denied me from signing up from any of my available addresses.

Today still:

1) The entire range of my VPN addresses is banned from logging in and posting. Paradoxically, I can login only from Tor Browser (https://www.torproject.org), which makes no sense whatsoever. The denials are all coming from Securi firewall. This is completely inconsistent and counterproductive. Is anonymous posting supported or not? If not, I will just go away.

2) Ever since I made a post on a thread about weight loss, I have been forced to re-validate my email address at every single login. At first I thought I might have been moderated, for whatever reason, but that would be nuts. My email is @yandex.com (a russian provider) and every single time I login I'm forced to A) change my e-mail to a non-valid one in my profile and B) change it back to my real e-mail and subsequently re-validate it.

If I have to revalidate my throwaway anonymous email every time I have to post I will just stop posting. I would mostly like clarification on whether all this behavior is intentional or unintentional, and then if it can be fixed.

Thanks.

Attachments

• rpf_confirm.png
    rpf_confirm.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
Terma

Terma

I changed my e-mail awhile ago myself and fixed that part.

However, I basically can't post anymore because all the VPN IPs everywhere are banned. I only post from VPNs and will not post otherwise (no offense, I've been burned before).

I'm posting from non-banned Tor nodes to get around the VPN bans, but Sucuri is finally starting to filter out all the Tor nodes. I can barely write this I get a popup every 10 seconds. For all I know I won't be able to reply to this.

The IP filtering is draconian and anti-speech, to be honest. I understand some sites want to ban Tor, but banning all the VPNs on a forum is crazy. There's no reason for it at all - you have account-based controls. Forums can easily manage this including even Tor.

I'm sure the sucuri handles DDOS some other way already and "brute force bot" is a terrible reason to do anything. Cloudflare is a cancer on the internet, but at least you get a chance with the image captchas. This writes you off like would your common family doctor.

Again it's nothing personal, and I get the opening post was less than graceful, and I'm not anyone's favorite poster... but this is nuts.

raypeatforum.com.login.png

OP
Terma

Terma

Here more fun popups and denials, whatever this is supposed to be

rpf_typing_lovely_popup.png

rpf_blacklist_when_click_reply.png

Kunder

I thought vpns and tors are only used by terrorists, drug dealers and peadophiles.

In any event, i think you certainly have the right to be hidden/untraceable, but you dont get to demand that other server operators accept it. I mean, what the hell man, are u serious?

yerrag

First off, are you able to log-in easily without using a VPN? If you are, is there a reason you need to use a VPN to interact in this forum? Is the country you reside in blocking you from this forum? I mean, is the Ray Peat Forum banned in your country?

OP
Terma

Terma

I thought vpns and tors are only used by terrorists, drug dealers and peadophiles.

In any event, i think you certainly have the right to be hidden/untraceable, but you dont get to demand that other server operators accept it. I mean, what the hell man, are u serious?

Pure, hurtful stereotype. I'm only 2 of those things.

What do you mean, "demand"? That's a frightening point of view. This is a request. Technically justifiable (most account-based systems are administered just fine without any IP filters at all, large ones basically only need an extra captcha). Or was that sarcasm supposed to bleed into the next sentence?

[Edit: By the way, I've done my share to make this work. I got around the e-mail problem on my own so I didn't bring it up again. I would have kept using Tor to post despite the occasional fuckup and ugliness (I'm very used to it) except sucuri is blanket-banning everything. Something has to give otherwise I have to stop posting, that's it]

First off, are you able to log-in easily without using a VPN? If you are, is there a reason you need to use a VPN to interact in this forum? Is the country you reside in blocking you from this forum? I mean, is the Ray Peat Forum banned in your country?

That would be another great reason to allow this, wouldn't it? I logged in fine on an old account from home years ago (no posts), but I'm not doing it again.

I cannot access this from work setup (more than one reason), I cannot VPN back to other local location due to technical problems, and the last time something went crazy (involved a website being hacked) was actually my home IP combined with posts that gave me away. This is a defense for users against the websites being browsed getting hacked, which is routine occurrence. Most users wouldn't need to worry too much about an IP being public, but don't you think there's a reason the board doesn't just publish your IP with every post for fun? I'd like to know Haidut's IP. Assuming all users don't have important enough or sensitive positions in life to justify this is backward logic. Keep in mind the feature is technically redundant in the first place.

Let's hope this goes through! [edit: took 3 tries]

[Edit: In case you want to see this in action, log in with Download Tor and try to go about your day]

Last edited:
OP
Terma

Terma

Ok, something just happened and I may not be online for two weeks; confusingly if this doesn't work by then I might not be able to login anyway given the rate these were banned.

I'm not trying to cause any knee-jerk feelings here, I hope you can take some time to think about it, that's all, thank you.

Dhair

I have no problem using a VPN on this forum. It doesn't ask me to log in again or prevent me from doing anything.

Wagner83

Ok, something just happened and I may not be online for two weeks; confusingly if this doesn't work by then I might not be able to login anyway given the rate these were banned.

I'm not trying to cause any knee-jerk feelings here, I hope you can take some time to think about it, that's all, thank you.

So, are you saying this happened because you posted/tried to post negative reviews? In the lisuride thread you implied that haidut and charlie had a deal. Why?

I tried to post this but forum has made it really ******* hard, it's frustrating. @haidut have you considered posting to multiple forums, or do you have a deal with charlie or some ***t? I don't hate him or anything but I am so sick of the internet. I'm out of energy for this ***t.

OP
Terma

Terma

So, are you saying this happened because you posted/tried to post negative reviews? In the lisuride thread you implied that haidut and charlie had a deal. Why?
That might have sounded deeper than it was. No, it wasn't about a review posted. It was a light-moderate drunken vent about the de facto monopoly held by this forum on the contributions of and interactions available with such people as haidut/idealabs, koveras, paymanz, travis, etc., and whether it is truly deserved (I'm not answering this for you, consider it an open question) and productive, in the context of a greater criticism against online forums, a small part of which includes the complaints in this thread... which may or may not be representative of other issues (I have no disputes with anyone, only irks about topic deletions, as well as some helpful interactions with the admin before this too), but in reality involves and implicitly compares it against 3 other forums I abandoned this year after several years invested, plus another last week, after they each went full retard in an incomprehensible succession - and I realized I knew it would happen all along but chose to ignore my instincts, for various reasons, valid and not... Meaning, even if I pay for a new VPN every 6 months, history, experience, and similarities all forecast that I eventually get banned and/or regret posting anyway (I didn't get banned, but it might as well have been me). I'm not totally sober today either but this is gonna have to do.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals