Hypoxia Causes Mast Cell Degranulation And Nitric Oxide Stops That

Most people have low CO2 and systemic hypoxia. Dr. Peat has explained that nitric oxide is there for emergency use in the body when CO2 can't be had. Here is a study bearing that out.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.324.5894&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Systemic hypoxia produces an inflammatory response characterized by increases in reactive O2 species (ROS), venular leukocyte-endothelial adherence and emigration, and vascular permeability. Inflammation is typically initiated by mediators released from activated perivascular cells that generate the chemotactic gradient responsible for extravascular leukocyte accumulation. These experiments were directed to study the possible participation of mast cells in hypoxiainduced microvascular inflammation. Mast cell degranulation, ROS levels, leukocyte adherence and emigration, and vascular permeability were studied in the mesenteric microcirculation using intravital microscopy of anesthetized rats. The main findings were: 1. Activation of mast cells with compound 48/80 in normoxia produced microvascular effects similar, but not identical, to those of hypoxia; 2. Systemic hypoxia resulted in rapid mast cell degranulation; 3. Blockade of mast cell degranulation with cromolyn prevented or attenuated the hypoxia-induced increases in ROS, leukocyte adherence/emigration, and vascular permeability; and 4. Mast cell degranulation during hypoxia was prevented by administration of the antioxidant lipoic acid and of nitric oxide (NO). These results show that mast cells play a key role in hypoxia-induced inflammation and suggest that alterations in the ROS/NO balance may be involved in mast cell activation during hypoxia.

Pointless

Are NO and lipoic acid synergistic? Also, afaik, ppl are administering CO2 in smaller concentrations like 5%, but maybe a balloon can be filled with a CO2 tank and higher concentrations can be inhaled like NO? It might break the balloon though

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Hmmm. I wonder if methylene blue might exacerbate mast cell activation problems...

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hmmm. I wonder if methylene blue might exacerbate mast cell activation problems...
Peat mentioned that CO2 prevents mast cell degranulation and methylene blue can increase CO2. So it depends on how effective the methylene blue boosts CO2 production in the individual.
Also, MB can help lower ROS.

mrchibbs

I doubt MB increase NO, since it works in a very coherent, pro-metabolic pathway.

Peat mentioned that CO2 prevents mast cell degranulation and methylene blue can increase CO2. So it depends on how effective the methylene blue boosts CO2 production in the individual.
Also, MB can help lower ROS.

My mom has started snoring the past 2 years (she's 60). She'd never snored before, possibly not a day in her life.

I'm taking it seriously, as I think it's a bad sign. Ray has mentioned Diamox (acetazolamide) as a compound to increase CO2 and resolve snoring.
Other members have said that it improves their snoring/apnea problems, so I'm wondering if MB+Thiamine at night could be a powerful remedy for snoring problems.

Lejeboca

I'm wondering if MB+Thiamine at night could be a powerful remedy for snoring problems.

MB is a MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitor and trigger serotogenic activity

Taking MB before bed at time seem to interfere with my sleep but topical application seems OK.

mrchibbs

MB is a MAO-A and MAO-B inhibitor and trigger serotogenic activity

Taking MB before bed at time seem to interfere with my sleep but topical application seems OK.

I've gotten the recommendation for MB before bed from someone else on this forum, and the I doubt the serotonergic effects of serotonin, it is contrary to my experience.

SOMO

I doubt MB increase NO, since it works in a very coherent, pro-metabolic pathway.

My mom has started snoring the past 2 years (she's 60). She'd never snored before, possibly not a day in her life.

I'm taking it seriously, as I think it's a bad sign. Ray has mentioned Diamox (acetazolamide) as a compound to increase CO2 and resolve snoring.
Other members have said that it improves their snoring/apnea problems, so I'm wondering if MB+Thiamine at night could be a powerful remedy for snoring problems.

Tell her to tape her mouth during sleep or do it for her.
:)

mrchibbs

Tell her to tape her mouth during sleep or do it for her.
:)

Yeah that's a bandaid, people have found that removing the tape after a months of taping, snoring starts over again.

SOMO

Yeah that's a bandaid, people have found that removing the tape after a months of taping, snoring starts over again.

It is harder to control your mouth and face while asleep, but I have read of successes using the tape with people who no longer need the tape after using it for a period of time.

I think the tape + those nasal strips (Breathe-Rite strips) is something that can be implemented today. I do think snoring is a serious medical issue, I know when I snored I would wake up feeling unrested and dizzy.

Stuffy nose often times causes mouth breathing which becomes snoring at night.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Yes, MB is a non-selective NOS inhibitor. Maybe by lowering oxidative stress it can increase BH4 which can boost NOS due to having more cofactor available.

Yes I'm sure that combo will work. If snoring is due to low CO2, then the root cause might be low vitamin B1 and most likely other cofactors as well. Serotonin becomes elevated in a low CO2 environment and serotonin causes vaso- and bronchoconstriction. Peat mentioned vitamin B1 is a safe substance to lower serotonin. Sodium bicarb might also be helpful.

mrchibbs

Yes, MB is a non-selective NOS inhibitor. Maybe by lowering oxidative stress it can increase BH4 which can boost NOS due to having more cofactor available.

Yes I'm sure that combo will work. If snoring is due to low CO2, then the root cause might be low vitamin B1 and most likely other cofactors as well. Serotonin becomes elevated in a low CO2 environment and serotonin causes vaso- and bronchoconstriction. Peat mentioned vitamin B1 is a safe substance to lower serotonin. Sodium bicarb might also be helpful.

Thanks Hans, that's really helpful. I've tried to limit my recommendations to my parents to one drink of aspirin dissolved in hot water and baking soda+gelatin, mixed with fruit juice. They've both my drinking it (I'm not always there to watch over them but I trust that they do, at least a few times a week) and I feel like it touches a lot of aspects simultaneously and reduces the risks for many pathologies.

But I want to help my mom with this specific problem, and I've given her some cypro before and she seems to sleep more soundly, but I want to try to really increase her CO2 retention (and mimic acetazolamide), so I'm thinking 1-2drops of MB along with 150mg of thiamine in applesauce should provide some results.