Hypothyroidism - Red Light Man Device

Eiko

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and have been reading through a lot of the threads on hypothyroidism. I've had Hashimotos for a few years and I've been reluctantly using prescription medication, which I've always been intending to wean myself off. I changed my diet by cutting out gluten and dairy and taking various supplements to support my thyroid but not much has changed. In fact, it's recently become worse and I've been doing some research to try to find something to help me. I'm trying to find either a cold laser (LLLT) device or an 830 nm LED device that I can buy in Australia (or that can at least be shipped here). Apologies if this has already been discussed (I did try to search for it in the threads and couldn't find it anywhere), but has anyone used this device: Infrared 830 Device - Red Light Man ? It specifically says it is good for hypothyroidism on the website so thought it might be worth giving it a go. The other device that I can purchase in Australia is the LightStim for Pain, which is a smaller handheld device with 4 different types of LED lights ranging from 600 mn to 900 mn (here it is: LightStim for Pain). I'm leaning towards the first one but would be interested to know whether anyone has purchased from the Red Light Man previously. Thanks!

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and have been reading through a lot of the threads on hypothyroidism. I've had Hashimotos for a few years and I've been reluctantly using prescription medication, which I've always been intending to wean myself off. I changed my diet by cutting out gluten and dairy and taking various supplements to support my thyroid but not much has changed. In fact, it's recently become worse and I've been doing some research to try to find something to help me. I'm trying to find either a cold laser (LLLT) device or an 830 nm LED device that I can buy in Australia (or that can at least be shipped here). Apologies if this has already been discussed (I did try to search for it in the threads and couldn't find it anywhere), but has anyone used this device: Infrared 830 Device - Red Light Man ? It specifically says it is good for hypothyroidism on the website so thought it might be worth giving it a go. The other device that I can purchase in Australia is the LightStim for Pain, which is a smaller handheld device with 4 different types of LED lights ranging from 600 mn to 900 mn (here it is: LightStim for Pain). I'm leaning towards the first one but would be interested to know whether anyone has purchased from the Red Light Man previously. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I posted on this page more info about problems of infrared light.

Red Light Therapy / LLLT Cures Hypothyroid?

This is a nice light its has no infrared and all visible wavelengths.

Red Light Device Mini - Red Light Man

tankasnowgod

Hi everyone

I have used the RLM infrared/hyperred combo (830 and 760) and the Red Light Device (610/630/660/680), and they both work well on the thyroid. I have used the 850 IR illuminators, but those left my throat feeling scratchy.

As a side note, it looks like RLM is cheaper than the Lightstim, and the RLM is better designed and more powerful.

Makrosky

I have used the RLM infrared/hyperred combo (830 and 760) and the Red Light Device (610/630/660/680), and they both work well on the thyroid. I have used the 850 IR illuminators, but those left my throat feeling scratchy.

As a side note, it looks like RLM is cheaper than the Lightstim, and the RLM is better designed and more powerful.

I got that "throat feeling scratchy" effect with 630-670nm, not infrared.

sirilynn

Hi everyone

@Eiko,

Have you made any progress in your experiments using the red light? I'm in the same position since I have hypothyroidism and starting to try infrared light to see if it helps with symptoms and able to help my thyroid become more functional. I would love to hear your experiences and see if anything has made a difference. I've just started so I don't know how well it will work for me yet, but I can share after I have more idea how it is affecting me.

Mito

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I posted on this page more info about problems of infrared light.

Red Light Therapy / LLLT Cures Hypothyroid?

This is a nice light its has no infrared and all visible wavelengths.

Red Light Device Mini - Red Light Man
This placebo controlled clinical trial used used infrared (830 nm) and the results were very good.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10103-012-1129-9

And here is another study that used infrared with good results. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/lsm.20941

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
This placebo controlled clinical trial used used infrared (830 nm) and the results were very good.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10103-012-1129-9

And here is another study that used infrared with good results. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/lsm.20941

In the studies they are only doing ten sessions, my concern with infrared is long term use, i promote using the red and orange wavelengths of light through the eyes and on the body like a photon supplement that can be used on weekly basis for months and years.

Mito

In the studies they are only doing ten sessions, my concern with infrared is long term use, i promote using the red and orange wavelengths of light through the eyes and on the body like a photon supplement that can be used on weekly basis for months and years.
Do we know if the 600-700 nm range can even reach the thyroid tissues? Red and Orange would need to penetrate the skin and connective tissue but according to Hamblin’s paper it can only penetrate superficial tissue (skin). That would be fine for the eyes but I wonder about the thyroid gland tissue.

MECHANISMS OF LOW LEVEL LIGHT THERAPY
7.1 Wavelength.
This is probably the parameter where there is most agreement in the LLLT community. Wavelengths in the 600-700 nm range are chosen for treating superficial tissue, and wavelengths between 780 and 950 nm are chosen for deeper-seated tissues, due to longer optical penetration distances through tissue. Wavelengths between 700 and 770 nm are not considered to have much activity. Some devices combine a red wavelength with a NIR wavelength on the basis that the combination of two wavelengths can have additive effects, and can also allow the device to be more broadly utilized to treat more diseases. There is of course much more work to be done to define what is the optimum wavelength for the different indications for which LLLT is employed.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Do we know if the 600-700 nm range can even reach the thyroid tissues? Red and Orange would need to penetrate the skin and connective tissue but according to Hamblin’s paper it can only penetrate superficial tissue (skin). That would be fine for the eyes but I wonder about the thyroid gland tissue.

MECHANISMS OF LOW LEVEL LIGHT THERAPY
7.1 Wavelength.
This is probably the parameter where there is most agreement in the LLLT community. Wavelengths in the 600-700 nm range are chosen for treating superficial tissue, and wavelengths between 780 and 950 nm are chosen for deeper-seated tissues, due to longer optical penetration distances through tissue. Wavelengths between 700 and 770 nm are not considered to have much activity. Some devices combine a red wavelength with a NIR wavelength on the basis that the combination of two wavelengths can have additive effects, and can also allow the device to be more broadly utilized to treat more diseases. There is of course much more work to be done to define what is the optimum wavelength for the different indications for which LLLT is employed.

It depends on the power and focus of the light being used, a good one will and also the effects are systemic, white blood cells contain mitochondria and have the same organelles as eukaryotic cells. There are probably many photon receptors yet to be discovered, but we know that cytochrome c oxidase in the mitochondria of cells is one of the main photon receptors with some of the enzymes peak absorption spectra at around 620 nm and 680 nm.

Mito

we know that cytochrome c oxidase in the mitochondria of cells is one of the main photon receptors with some of the enzymes peak absorption spectra at around 620 nm and 680 nm.
Looks like the highest peaks are infrared at 760 nm and 820 nm. https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/iub.359
2E8060CF-B216-4EE3-854B-0EC283DF0C16.jpeg

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
Looks like the highest peaks are infrared at 760 nm and 820 nm. https://iubmb.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/iub.359
View attachment 9893

Yes but thats what i have wrote about many times, that i do not feel it is good idea to use non visible infrared light for extended amount of time, infrared light will scatter because it gets absorbed more readily by water in the tissue, because infrared excites water molecules more then visible light it heats the tissue more and is why i prefer visible light for photobiomodulation.