Hypothyroidism & Hashimoto's: How Affected by Peat Eating?

narouz

I'll start us off!

I'm a 59 year-old male. I've been diagnosed as hypothyroid/Hashimoto's for around 5 years. Until about 5 months ago I had been eating--for over 10 years--a low carb diet. I say "very" low carb, but not near zero. Right before I went to Peat Eating, I had combined my low carbing with a strongly raw diet. I suspect that kind of diet caused the hypothyroidism (which I think was present but undiagnosed for quite a while before the doctor spotted my extremely high TSH; didn't have a physical for a few years there).

I have no conclusive or dramatic "testimonial" to report at this point.
But I have noticed something encouraging.
About a month ago I started seeing my oral temperatures (liquid, mercury-free thermometer) steadily climb.
For years it would always be in the 97's--even down into the high 96's.
But for the last few weeks it has been coming up pretty soon after I wake,
into the mid-98's and even up to 99.

At first I thought I must have some low-grade infection,
but I had my blood checked and my antibodies were normal.

In fact, here this last week I had started having this peculiar feeling I've learned to recognize as
a signal that my thyroid medication (Armour) is "over-corrected"--too much hormone dosage.
The peculiar feeling I refer to is a distinctive kind of inability to sleep well, deeply, or even at all.
I have the sensation, when falling almost asleep, that I am slipping below the surface of the water
into sleep,
only to suddenly "bob" back up to the surface, with a bit of start.

I'm guessing I'm needing less thyroid hormone--haven't been able to schedule a blood test yet to confirm.
But it was driving me a little crazy so I stepped down my dosage
and have felt better and slept better.

Birdie

Re: Hypothyroidism & Hashimoto's: How Affected by Peat Eatin

narouz,
I am wondering about the Armour. I had taken it for about 15 years, but when the formula changed this last time, it seemed to stop working. But you seem to be fine with it. I switched to Cynoplus when I read Ray's about the new formula not being reliable. He said he no longer recommended it but that Cynoplus was good. No additives, just pure T3/T4, although synthetic of course. I'm just sorting through all this. If you have any enlightening thoughts, please let me know em. thanks, birdie

OP
N

narouz

Birdie said:
narouz,
I am wondering about the Armour. I had taken it for about 15 years, but when the formula changed this last time, it seemed to stop working. But you seem to be fine with it. I switched to Cynoplus when I read Ray's about the new formula not being reliable. He said he no longer recommended it but that Cynoplus was good. No additives, just pure T3/T4, although synthetic of course. I'm just sorting through all this. If you have any enlightening thoughts, please let me know em. thanks, birdie

Birdie--
I'm thinking of changing.
My doctor says I'm fine,
but...you know how that goes.
I'm not feeling wonderful. :)
Can't hurt to experiment with other products.
I once tried the ERFA, from Canada.
Maybe a little stronger, but not a lot of difference, really.
Then again, that was before doing Peat stuff.
The Cynoplus sounds like a good bet, since Peat recommends that.
I'm also intrigued by the stuff ARK is selling on her website--
I saw that you noted that as well.

Birdie

How is this all going by now, narouz??

OP
N

narouz

Birdie said:

Well Birdie,
actually I have been gradually raising my dosage of dessicated thyroid,
just on my own, without my doctor's guidance.
I've gone from 2&1/2 grains (150mg),
gradually up to 3&1/2 grains (210mg)--
been at that dosage a week or two now.

Nothing earth-shattering in terms of feeling super-great suddenly,
but I believe I do feel better
and my pulse rate and temps are better,
though here recently I have been so busy I haven't been checking my temps regularly.

I think I may still need to go higher.
I just today received some of the Nutri-Med dessicated Bovine thyroid
(I've been on Armour)
so I'm going to give that a try.

I can't remember...are you hypo?
What's your dosage?

Birdie

narouz said:
Birdie said:

Well Birdie,
actually I have been gradually raising my dosage of dessicated thyroid,
just on my own, without my doctor's guidance.
I've gone from 2&1/2 grains (150mg),
gradually up to 3&1/2 grains (210mg)--
been at that dosage a week or two now.

Nothing earth-shattering in terms of feeling super-great suddenly,
but I believe I do feel better
and my pulse rate and temps are better,
though here recently I have been so busy I haven't been checking my temps regularly.

I think I may still need to go higher.
I just today received some of the Nutri-Med dessicated Bovine thyroid
(I've been on Armour)
so I'm going to give that a try.

I can't remember...are you hypo?
What's your dosage?
Yes. 1 1/2 cynoplus in divided doses. Plus 1/2 cynomel bitten up.
My husband just picked up his labs today, and, just as I suspected, he's high reverse T3. More T3 and less T4 for him.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Birdie, how did you know he was high reverse T3?

Birdie

I'm not sure but I had been last year. Oh, yes, he has been tired. And his face is puffy. ....

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ok, just wondered if there was any signs to look out for.

cfhunter

Narouz

I thought you were having trouble tolerating the meds? What made you go up on them again? I am having similar issues. Wasn't tolerating meds at all. now temps are stable and normal on no meds.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

cfhunter, welcome to the forum.

cfhunter said:
I thought you were having trouble tolerating the meds? What made you go up on them again? I am having similar issues. Wasn't tolerating meds at all. now temps are stable and normal on no meds.

Interesting. I read your other thread. When you mention the pounding heart, I think, the body is now becoming more sensitive to adrenaline/cortisol, so it will slowly downregulate the excess amounts of it. So to me, it would seem that the body is indeed working better. Just gotta wait for that downregulation to happen. Lita Lee has said this is what is happening, and she said she learned it from Ray Peat.

With me, I can only take 1/2 a grain a day now, anymore, and I get the pounding heart, etc. I was all the way up to 4.5 grains at one time. Although, I went way to fast for that. This last time, I made it up to 2 grains slowly and the symptoms came back again. I have been holding at 1/2 a grain now, and it seems like I am right on the edge of it happening again, although it doesnt. So I am thinking, maybe my body is working better now. I dunno. I think I remember reading Ray Peat saying somewhere, or maybe it was a radio interview. That some people only have to take thyroid for a short time and it essentially "kickstarts" things back up.

Also, you mentioned you went "hyper" in the other post. Ray Peat said when he is in hyper that it was a good feeling and that he liked it.

OP
N

narouz

cf-
No, I was tolerating the Armour fine,
but the reason I went up was because my temps and pulse
were still low (in the Peatian view).

So...what made you start taking thyroid
and then go (very quickly, it would seem) up to 4&1/2 grains...?

Birdie

Charlie said:
Ok, just wondered if there was any signs to look out for.
Charlie,
His face is much less puffy now. His energy has improved some. He won't do temps and pulses so we can just go by symptoms.

His dose is 1 Armour, 1/2 Cynoplus, and 1 Cynomel divided into 4 doses. He can tolerate more T3 in a dose than I.

Now that I have my rT3 down, I can tolerate more Cynoplus T3/4 in relation to Cynomel T3.
My dose is 1 1/2 Cynoplus (1/4 on arising, 1/2 with breakie, 1/2 with lunch, 1/4 bedtime) and 1/2 Cynomel bitten in about 4 times.

Along with increasing his T3, my husband drinks a coke a day, eats a lot of fruit, drinks oj twice a day... He eats cheese rather than drinking milk. He has been upping his salt. Takes 1 aspirin, niacinamide, vit K, vit A, vit E... All things that help the thyroid. Also, he's eating oj jello, ice cream, and 2 eggs a day. Liver occasionally. Refuses oysters and takes copper, zinc.

He sits in a dimly lit room to work all day. Sometimes, I go in, pretending I need the light to see, and leave it on when I leave. He sees through this and asks sweetly if I'd turn off the light.

Birdie

Charlie said:
cfhunter, welcome to the forum.

cfhunter said:

Interesting. I read your other thread. When you mention the pounding heart, I think, the body is now becoming more sensitive to adrenaline/cortisol, so it will slowly downregulate the excess amounts of it. So to me, it would seem that the body is indeed working better. Just gotta wait for that downregulation to happen. Lita Lee has said this is what is happening, and she said she learned it from Ray Peat.

With me, I can only take 1/2 a grain a day now, anymore, and I get the pounding heart, etc. I was all the way up to 4.5 grains at one time. Although, I went way to fast for that. This last time, I made it up to 2 grains slowly and the symptoms came back again. I have been holding at 1/2 a grain now, and it seems like I am right on the edge of it happening again, although it doesnt. So I am thinking, maybe my body is working better now. I dunno. I think I remember reading Ray Peat saying somewhere, or maybe it was a radio interview. That some people only have to take thyroid for a short time and it essentially "kickstarts" things back up.

Also, you mentioned you went "hyper" in the other post. Ray Peat said when he is in hyper that it was a good feeling and that he liked it.
Are you taking yours all in one dose? Are you taking it with food to slow the release?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Sounds like he is getting better, Birdie.

I hear you about the light thing. I constantly do that everywhere I go to do my part in helping. :lol:

I take 1/4 grain after breakfast, and 1/4 grain after lunch.

J

j.

Does Ray Peat reject the validity of the assumptions behind and the concept of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis? That's the impression I got from Danny Roddy's article on Hashimoto's.

J

j.

So what is going on? Are the substances believed to be thyroid antibodies actually a consequence and not the cause of hypothyroidism?

Attachments

• IDQS+RECIPE PREVIEW 82.pdf
    197.3 KB · Views: 51

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Oops, deleted my post J. Sorry about that.

It might be some kind of protective mechanism or something to that effect.

Isadora

Yes, j., that's what Raymond Peat seems to think. And he is not the only one, although he might have been the first (Dr. Haskell thinks so too).

And this "antibodies don't attack self tissue" theory applies to all autoimmune diseases, not only to Hashimoto's.

Mittir

j. said:
Does Ray Peat reject the validity of the assumptions behind and the concept of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis? That's the impression I got from Danny Roddy's article on Hashimoto's.

RP did not say that Autoimmune thyroditis does not exist He said the way it is diagnosed is flawed.
The anti-bodies that are blamed in Hashimoto are not part of autoimmune problems. I think he meant that
most Hashimoto patient do not have any autoimmune thyroid problem, its a simple thyroid problem.