Hypothyroidism (Cortisol, Prolactin And Adrenal Hyperactivity) Causes Balding

Crazycoco

What a profesoral statement JDreamer...

"It'not all about nutrition" is a general statement but a true one. Countless people read two Books on nutrition, a dozen of articles and then come to forums and explain things That make every expert in the field laughing at- for example talking about pizza.
One of the main risk of mentioning a disease is talking about nutrition.

Go to different nutrition forums and search for "baldness" you'll find:

-how to treat baldness with ketogenic diet
-how to reverse baldness with high carb baldness
-how fruitarian avoid baldness etc
-how to eat with the reptilians will give hair forever

All of these are highly speculative, with many arguments and of course, most of that is B.S.

My point still is: there still is no treatment for male pattern baldness.

If you can reverse male pattern baldness with diet, go ahead, you' ll be a billionaire. Believe me, no "blanlet statement" here.

Brandon

I wrote Dr. Peat and he was kind to reply to a few questions. Well, actually, he didn't really answer each of my questions directly, but he did offer a lot of great information. I asked him if it was ok to share his answer on the forum, and he said he didn't mind. My words are in black; Ray's is in dark blue and the references he gave are in light blue.

Hello Dr. Peat,

My name is Brandon. I recieved this email address in the forum when requesting a way to contact you. If you don't mind, I'd like to get your perspective on the following questions concerning the pattern of common baldness in adult males:

1. What is the basis for the onset of common pattern baldness in adult males, starting at the temples and vertex and developing into the virtually symmetrical horseshoe shape?

2. Is the development of this precise pattern a sign of a systemic problem?

3. How do you make sense of the association between pattern baldness and elevated prolactin and cortisol if women also experience elevations in these hormones, but don't show this pattern of baldness?

I listened to the KMUD episode on hair loss and inflammation you were on, where you mentioned that prolactin and cortisol are elevated in people with baldness (I'm assuming you were referring to the common pattern baldness), but I didn't hear an explanation about how this elevation is related to the actual pattern of baldness seen in males.

Women are more strongly protected than men by progesterone against the stress hormones. Prostaglandins, which are one of the products of estrogen-related mast cells, are increased by the accumulation of polyunsaturated fats with aging, and correspond roughly to the health problems, such as the “metabolic syndrome,” that are associated in men with baldness. Testosterone has some of the protective effects of progesterone, except that with the gradual accumulation of the PUFA, it tends to be turned into estrogen, activating cortisol, prostaglandins, mast cells, and prolactin.

J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2015 Mar-Apr;51(2):136-42.
Canine alopecia secondary to human topical hormone replacement therapy in six
dogs.
Berger DJ(1), Lewis TP, Schick AE, Miller RI, Loeffler DG.
(1)From the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, IA
(D.B.); Dermatology for Animals (T.L., A.S., R.M.); and DVM Pathology Associates
(D.L.).

Dermatologica Sinica Volume 34, Issue 1, March 2016, Pages 10–13
Assessment of semen quality in patients with androgenetic alopecia in an infertility clinic
Emre Sinan Güngör, Şule Güngör, , , Ali Galip Zebitay. . . .
Redirecting

Urolithiasis. 2016 Oct;44(5):409-13.
Relation of urinary stone disease with androgenetic alopecia and serum
testosterone levels.
Polat EC(1), Ozcan L(2), Otunctemur A(3), Ozbek E(3).
(1)Department of Urology, Okmeydani Training and Research Hospital, Sisli, 34384,
Istanbul, Turkey. [email protected]. (2)Department of Urology, Derince
Training and Research Hospital, Kocaeli, İzmit, Turkey. (3)Department of Urology,
Okmeydani Training and Research Hospital, Sisli, 34384, Istanbul, Turkey.

Am J Phys Anthropol. 1992 May;88(1):59-67.
Relations between sex hormone level and characters of hair and skin in healthy
young men.
Knussmann R(1), Christiansen K, Kannmacher J.
(1)Institut für Humanbiologie, University of Hamburg, Germany.

Singapore Med J. 2010 Dec;51(12):931-6.
The association of insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in early
androgenetic alopecia.
Acibucu F(1), Kayatas M, Candan F.
(1)Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet
University, Sivas 58140, Turkey. [email protected]

J Drugs Dermatol. 2016 Aug 1;15(8):1001-4.
Stress and the Hair Growth Cycle: Cortisol-Induced Hair Growth Disruption.
Thom E.

J Cutan Pathol. 1975;2(2):58-70.
Male pattern alopecia a histopathologic and histochemical study.
Lattanand A, Johnson WC.

J Cutan Pathol. 2014 Apr;41(4):364-9.
A prostaglandin D-synthase-positive mast cell gradient characterizes scalp
patterning.
Larson AR(1), Zhan Q, Johnson E, Fragoso AC, Wan M, Murphy GF.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you have a sense of why the pattern of baldness is the way it is (horseshoe)?

I think the pattern is just an expression of the interacting gradients that shape all development. In the skin, pheromones and electrical fields are among the factors that affect sweat, oil, hair, fibroblasts, inflammatory, and pigment cells. Each type of cell responds to changing gradients in its own way.
I asked Dr peat about references for the concept of "gradients." He said:

The background is Charles M. Child’s work in embryological gradients, Joseph Needham’s Chemical Embryology, Tracy Sonneborn’s work, and Gershom Zajicek’s streaming organism

Then I asked him how pattern baldness may be reversed and if there is a point where's it's too late. He said:

As long as there are stem cells in the organism, and energy, I think the patterns of aging can be reversed. Cell respiration, and the resulting CO, are basic factors

Progesterone

The background is Charles M. Child’s work in embryological gradients, Joseph Needham’s Chemical Embryology, Tracy Sonneborn’s work, and Gershom Zajicek’s streaming organism

Then I asked him how pattern baldness may be reversed and if there is a point where's it's too late. He said:

As long as there are stem cells in the organism, and energy, I think the patterns of aging can be reversed. Cell respiration, and the resulting CO, are basic factors

Thanks for sharing!

So.... cell respiration... I guess Methylene Blue would be good then..

sladerunner69

What about taking thyroid surrogate? Aspirin, caffiene and niacinimide? Anyone experience the benefits of this combo?

Does anyone who has taken mroe than 500mg niacinimide experience depression? I think it can be highly sedative.

Jared

Do you take any supplements like vitamin k or d?

Do you drink water? I read a comment of Danny's where he said he doesn't drink water. If I don't, I get this thirsty feeling that never goes away which I assume is dehydration.

I was like at the 5 meals you posted. Seems like it would be hard to stay full with that. How do I make bone broth? Does it taste good and is it filling?

I do have powder gelatin.. it's the Great Lakes colleges which doesn't congeal I don't think. Do I just mix it with oj and sugar to make the fruit snack you mentioned? Lemme know if you have some instructions on this.

Someone in another thread recommended oregano oil and energin (select b vitamins) for 3 weeks to help fix the gut/sibo. What do you think of this?

How do I make egg shell calcium? Do I need it if I'm getting plenty of milk and cheese?

What do you eat on nights that you're not having liver? Is ground beef okay to eat? I need to eat some kind of meat nightly but liver is so hard for me to eat. I always just take a bite and then throw the rest out as I psychically can't get it down.

I'm gonna try not eating potatos but I just feel it will be hard to stay full on only eggs, liver, fish and fruit. I think I would become under weight this way.

@helpmyhair
I've found oregano oil to be helpful with dandruff and the itch that usually accompanies it. Doesn't exactly answer the question you asked, but I think they could be related.

Brandon

Thanks for sharing!

So.... cell respiration... I guess Methylene Blue would be good then..

I keep pestering Dr. Peat. I swear I would ignore somebody if they kept email me like I'm doing him. He's been really kind. Anyway, I asked him this:

In light of those basic factors, what do you think are practical steps for someone to attempt this reversal?

He said,

I think a lot of experimenting is needed, for example with topical use of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.

DaveFoster

I keep pestering Dr. Peat. I swear I would ignore somebody if they kept email me like I'm doing him. He's been really kind. Anyway, I asked him this:

In light of those basic factors, what do you think are practical steps for someone to attempt this reversal?

He said,

I think a lot of experimenting is needed, for example with topical use of carbonic anhydrase inhibitors.
He'll stop responding after a long while.

Scenes

He said,

Realistically he doesn't have a clue what to do in terms of practical steps...he seems to keep things vague. All of his suggestions have led to nothing so far in terms of hair regrowth.

whatever

[bla bla]

As long as there are stem cells in the organism, and energy, I think the patterns of aging can be reversed.
[bla bla]

Well, he is right about stem cells and energy, (no brainer) but that's it. It seems like he has no idea what is the next step.

Realistically he doesn't have a clue what to do in terms of practical steps...he seems to keep things vague. All of his suggestions have led to nothing so far in terms of hair regrowth.

I think you are right.
Fortunately, I think these guys from UCLA know what is the next step:
Lactate dehydrogenase activity drives hair follicle stem cell activation.
Abstract
Although normally dormant, hair follicle stem cells (HFSCs) quickly become activated to divide during a new hair cycle. The quiescence of HFSCs is known to be regulated by a number of intrinsic and extrinsic mechanisms. Here we provide several lines of evidence to demonstrate that HFSCs utilize glycolytic metabolism and produce significantly more lactate than other cells in the epidermis. Furthermore, lactate generation appears to be critical for the activation of HFSCs as deletion of lactate dehydrogenase (Ldha) prevented their activation. Conversely, genetically promoting lactate production in HFSCs through mitochondrial pyruvate carrier 1 (Mpc1) deletion accelerated their activation and the hair cycle. Finally, we identify small molecules that increase lactate production by stimulating Myc levels or inhibiting Mpc1 carrier activity and can topically induce the hair cycle. These data suggest that HFSCs maintain a metabolic state that allows them to remain dormant and yet quickly respond to appropriate proliferative stimuli.
DOI: 10.1038/ncb3575

Guys, read the whole study here: Regrow Hair By Stem Cell Activation

I feel like nobody found out about this, nobody is talking abut this.

Last edited:

Brandon

He said,

I asked him if there are any over the counter products that are carbonic anhydride inhibitors. He said

Vitamin B1, curcumin and silymarin.

ivy

What about taking thyroid surrogate? Aspirin, caffiene and niacinimide? Anyone experience the benefits of this combo?

Does anyone who has taken mroe than 500mg niacinimide experience depression? I think it can be highly sedative.

@sladerunner69 , can you provide amounts for this combo you mention? I'd give it a shot.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals