Hypothyroidism (Cortisol, Prolactin And Adrenal Hyperactivity) Causes Balding

Brandon

Has Dr. Peat ever discussed why baldness occurs in a particular pattern?

GAF

Has Dr. Peat ever discussed why baldness occurs in a particular pattern?

The above is the question I would like answered. What is the difference in the scalp one tiny mm from lush hair to no hair. Seems like "science" could answer that question.

Brandon

Yea Danny Roddy's material has been helpful. However, I'm still unclear about how the specific pattern develops. I wish Peat would offer a viewpoint on this, even if it's conjecture. Roddy does have a YouTube video about the horseshoe shape, and my understanding of what he said was that the fall in the "systemic regulation of energy" leading to a decrease in blood supply to the front and top of the the scalp results in hypoxia in those areas and, consequently, mast cell production. Mast cells do something (I forgot) to inhibit hair follicle growth. So far, what I'm taking away from this (and I could be wrong) is that we ultimately have to restore our "systemic regulation of energy" to reverse the cascade leading to increase mast cell production and/or figure out a way to decrease the concentration of mast cells in the scalp. Again, this could be a misunderstanding.

Still, @GAF is right, the question still stands as to why there is such a fine pattern in hair loss. Is it a reflection of the sharp change in scalp vascular architecture? Do mast cells somehow concentrate in a precise pattern under the scalp? If so, why do females exhibit a different pattern, on average? Do females produce mast cells differently? In a different pattern? Why?

All I've heard Dr. Peat really say in a KMUD radio episode is that people with less hair on their head have higher levels of prolactin and cortisol than people with more hair. He didn't discuss the basis for the development of an actual pattern of hair loss (not his fault, as the radio hosts weren't really asking questions to direct him that way). Even so, don't women tend to have higher cortisol and prolactin than men on average? Why don't they as a group show more baldness?

Anywayz, still many questions.

Orion

Even so, don't women tend to have higher cortisol and prolactin than men on average? Why don't they as a group show more baldness?

Would it be their monthly surge or higher circulating levels of progesterone that is protective against the estrogen/prolactin/serotonin/cortisol overload?

And males with more testosterone that aromatizes to estrogen in the PUFA filled western world and less progesterone to protect against... still many questions.

Danny has mentioned that progress on the new his book is continuing, so should have some more wood to add to the fire soon.

Brandon

Oh does anybody on here know someone personally who reverse their hairline and/or vertex hair?
Would it be their monthly surge or higher circulating levels of progesterone that is protective against the estrogen/prolactin/serotonin/cortisol overload?

And males with more testosterone that aromatizes to estrogen in the PUFA filled western world and less progesterone to protect against... still many questions.

Danny has mentioned that progress on the new his book is continuing, so should have some more wood to add to the fire soon.

That's a good point about women's monthly surges... Didn't think about that.

Yea Danny Roddy's material has been helpful. However, I'm still unclear about how the specific pattern develops. I wish Peat would offer a viewpoint on this, even if it's conjecture. Roddy does have a YouTube video about the horseshoe shape, and my understanding of what he said was that the fall in the "systemic regulation of energy" leading to a decrease in blood supply to the front and top of the the scalp results in hypoxia in those areas and, consequently, mast cell production. Mast cells do something (I forgot) to inhibit hair follicle growth. So far, what I'm taking away from this (and I could be wrong) is that we ultimately have to restore our "systemic regulation of energy" to reverse the cascade leading to increase mast cell production and/or figure out a way to decrease the concentration of mast cells in the scalp. Again, this could be a misunderstanding.

Still, @GAF is right, the question still stands as to why there is such a fine pattern in hair loss. Is it a reflection of the sharp change in scalp vascular architecture? Do mast cells somehow concentrate in a precise pattern under the scalp? If so, why do females exhibit a different pattern, on average? Do females produce mast cells differently? In a different pattern? Why?

All I've heard Dr. Peat really say in a KMUD radio episode is that people with less hair on their head have higher levels of prolactin and cortisol than people with more hair. He didn't discuss the basis for the development of an actual pattern of hair loss (not his fault, as the radio hosts weren't really asking questions to direct him that way). Even so, don't women tend to have higher cortisol and prolactin than men on average? Why don't they as a group show more baldness?

Anywayz, still many questions.

i think vit D is a key player, if not the main factor.... balding is basically calcification of the scalp, PTH is lowered via vitamin D... look at homeless people, many guys are older and have perfect hairlines...

as for why women don't get balding, that i'm not sure about, i mean they do when they are older, must be able to handle the estrogen or something, i'm not sure

The iv infusion of parathyroid extract or the synthetic fragments of 1-34 bovine or human parathyroid hormone produced a rapid and marked increase of plasma PRL in normal subjects. The stimulation of the release of endogenous parathyroid hormone by administration of disodium EDTA also resulted in a parallel increase of plasma PRL. Parathyroid hormone did not act via plasma cAMP, as the plasma level reached by this nucleotide was too small to produce PRL release. The ingestion of L-dopa 2 h before parathyroid hormone infusion suppressed the PRL response, suggesting that dopamine and parathyroid hormone interact at a common site. As it has been recently shown that PRL stimulates the renal synthesis of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, the present data suggest that the effect of parathyroid hormone on this synthesis may be due to the increase in plasma PRL.
Effect of parathyroid hormone on plasma prolactin in man. - PubMed - NCBI

Brandon

i think vit D is a key player, if not the main factor.... balding is basically calcification of the scalp, PTH is lowered via vitamin D... look at homeless people, many guys are older and have perfect hairlines...

as for why women don't get balding, that i'm not sure about, i mean they do when they are older, must be able to handle the estrogen or something, i'm not sure

The iv infusion of parathyroid extract or the synthetic fragments of 1-34 bovine or human parathyroid hormone produced a rapid and marked increase of plasma PRL in normal subjects. The stimulation of the release of endogenous parathyroid hormone by administration of disodium EDTA also resulted in a parallel increase of plasma PRL. Parathyroid hormone did not act via plasma cAMP, as the plasma level reached by this nucleotide was too small to produce PRL release. The ingestion of L-dopa 2 h before parathyroid hormone infusion suppressed the PRL response, suggesting that dopamine and parathyroid hormone interact at a common site. As it has been recently shown that PRL stimulates the renal synthesis of 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol, the present data suggest that the effect of parathyroid hormone on this synthesis may be due to the increase in plasma PRL.
Effect of parathyroid hormone on plasma prolactin in man. - PubMed - NCBI

Nice points. Yes, I've also seen many apparently homeless people with lots of hair. Are you saying that homeless people have more D for some reason? How so?

Peat did mention vitamin D as being important. He also said in the KMUD episode on Vitamin D that it's almost impossible to get "enough" of it in the diet unless you do something like drink 4 quarts of D supplemented milk and eat plenty of greens per day and light-exposed mushrooms regularly.

How do you get enough Vit D?

Nice points. Yes, I've also seen many apparently homeless people with lots of hair. Are you saying that homeless people have more D for some reason? How so?

Peat did mention vitamin D as being important. He also said in the KMUD episode on Vitamin D that it's almost impossible to get "enough" of it in the diet unless you do something like drink 4 quarts of D supplemented milk and eat plenty of greens per day and light-exposed mushrooms regularly.

How do you get enough Vit D?

Yes, I think they do because they are outside all day in the sun, like how normal people would be back in evolutionary times, not indoors all the time.

Brandon

Yes, I think they do because they are outside all day in the sun, like how normal people would be back in evolutionary times, not indoors all the time.

How do you think this vitamin D deficiency explains the precise, often symmetrical pattern of baldness?

Brandon

Another thing would be (and I'm making assumptions here) homeless people don't wash off the vitamin d from their skin. Peat has spoken a few times about how water washes off vitamin d from the skin.

Oh really? So I suppose that means that topical D would be good to put on the scalp.

sladerunner69

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to raise metabolism myself and feel that I'm better off for it. It's just that I'm majorly confused on this topic, it's THE one thing that bothers me about Peat's work (which normally makes a lot of sense). Like why do women live longer, why do they have faster heart rates, why do they not go bald as often as men IF they are 5-10 times more hypothyroid than men and have more estrogen-related diseases? I feel that this has not been adequately explained around these circles.

Perhaps it's the iron that interacts so dangerously with a low metabolism/PUFAs (women have less of it due to menstruating)? Perhaps a lower metabolism is protective in the face of a nutritionally inadequate diet?

Women actually have stronger hormonal profiles, they have much more progesterone and lower estrogen (except during pregnancy when their estrogen increases due to stress). Also I believe men are far more likely to eat poor foods.

sladerunner69

I just started shedding for the first time due to dramatically increasing 5-ar derived androgens via supplementation. I am not so simple minded that I believe the hairloss is caused by DHT, but it is indeed caused by the supplementation (perhaps estrogenic metabolites of DHT or a lack of anti-inflammatory agents that should naturally rise with DHT...probably not). If you were to look at certain populations like homeless people or Nigerians you would see physical characteristics hinting at very high DHT levels, however these populations almost never endure hair loss. Hair loss is no doubt related to androgens but androgens are not inherently the bad guys, it is more likely that hair loss is due to a lack of regulatory factors regarding androgen utilization etc. The question is why do certain populations not lose their hair and others do despite similar androgen profiles. Also what is the relationship between androgens and histamines because histamines are obviously a core problem here.

Hair shedding can actually be the start to a new hair growth cycle. When using a laser helmet one will initially experience some pretty bad shedding, and this is where a lot of guys stop using it for fear of losing more hair. Then in a few months the new hair starts to come back in fuller and thicker.

How do you think this vitamin D deficiency explains the precise, often symmetrical pattern of baldness?

i'm not sure. i think the skull is expanding though. many men who bald have tight skin on their head, like it is slick tight as if it was stretched. i don't know the mechanism is though. i think if you have low vit D (with the high PRL and high PTH that happens) and low steroid hormones, it will happen. i think endotoxin could be at play too.

like how people when they get older, they age and look different, but some don't, like how john stamos is like 50 and still has a slim face and clear jaw structure, whereas other people who are 50 don't and look different.

these are just my anecdotal thoughts though...

Constatine

Hair shedding can actually be the start to a new hair growth cycle. When using a laser helmet one will initially experience some pretty bad shedding, and this is where a lot of guys stop using it for fear of losing more hair. Then in a few months the new hair starts to come back in fuller and thicker.
Makes sense. My hair is very thick again so it was just a brief stage.

CoolTweetPete

I have wondered this as well. As you said, it's possible it may reflect a dramatic drop in the availability of resources to those areas of the scalp. I have also wondered if this horse-shoe pattern might be a reflection of the scalp's vascular architecture.

Here is a photo of the scalp's anatomical vasculature,

B9781455753161000245_f024-004-9781455753161.jpg

This isn't very scientific, but you can trace a horse shoe shape in several areas that don't have endpoints. I'm assuming these endpoints are outlets for blood, but maybe someone with more anatomical understanding of vasculature can chime in. If that is the case, then I can see how specific areas of the scalp could become systemically more and more isolated from resources being provided to the area causing further hypoxic conditions, mast cells, and all that.

There are two big gaping holes near the temples and at the crown where many people tend to show signs of balding initially.

Brandon

I have wondered this as well. As you said, it's possible it may reflect a dramatic drop in the availability of resources to those areas of the scalp. I have also wondered if this horse-shoe pattern might be a reflection of the scalp's vascular architecture.

Here is a photo of the scalp's anatomical vasculature,

B9781455753161000245_f024-004-9781455753161.jpg

This isn't very scientific, but you can trace a horse shoe shape in several areas that don't have endpoints. I'm assuming these endpoints are outlets for blood, but maybe someone with more anatomical understanding of vasculature can chime in. If that is the case, then I can see how specific areas of the scalp could become systemically more and more isolated from resources being provided to the area causing further hypoxic conditions, mast cells, etc etc etc etc etc.
Very interesting!