Hypothyroid and high altitude

megan

Hi there,

I read Ray Peat's article about Altitude and mortality. In it Ray discusses hypothyroid and high altitude. I wasn't clear if he was saying that living at high altitude with hypothyroid has a negative or positive effect on the body. I have Hashimotos/hypothyroid, and live at 7800 feet, and seem to struggle so much with my health lately. I would appreciate anyones help with this.

Many thanks,
Megan

natedawggh

Living at that altitude IS good for you. Anything above 2000 feet can be beneficial, but if you have other health problems it won't solve them.

If you want some help figuring it out, post about your symptoms, a complete diet profile, and any doctor's tests/history you can as well as medications and supplements you may be taking. Be concise too.

The good news is that when you make changes to get better, living at that altitude will help you get better faster than someone who is living at sea level.

OP
M

megan

Thanks for your response Nate! I am working with someone right now who is helping me with the health stuff, but I might start posting details if that doesn't work out! So it sounds like RP was saying it was good for people with Hypothyroidism? I am not hyperventilating but this worried me in regards to lactic acid... RP:

"If hypothyroid people, with increased adrenalin and lactate, are hyperventilating even at rest and at sea level, when they go to a high altitude where less oxygen is available, and their absorption of oxygen is impaired by lactic acidemia, their “oxygen debt,” conceived as circulating lactic acid, is easily increased, intensifying their already excessive “ventilatory drive,” and in proportion to the lactic acid oxygen debt, oxygen absorption is further inhibited.

The lactic acid has to be disposed of, but their ability to extract oxygen is reduced. The poor oxygenation, and the increased lactic acid and free fatty acids cause blood vessels to become leaky, producing edema in the lungs and brain. This is very similar to the “multiple organ failure” that occurs in inflammatory conditions, bacteremia, congestive heart failure, cancer, and trauma."

tara

:welcome Megan,
I read this quote as talking about someone living at low altitude and hyperventilating then going to a higher altitude and getting worse hyperventilation and hypoxia. If you have been living at high altitude for a long time, I don't know if this would apply to you.

From other comments he has made about altitude, I read him as saying that being adapted to high altitude is protective (because this entails retaining more CO2). But not being adapted to altitude, and being hypothyroid, can make one prone to extra problems - I assume these include what is usually described as altitude sickness (which is known be dangerous), as well as slower degenerative processes.

How have you assessed that you are not hyperventilating? I was under the impression that it is very common if not almost inevitable to some extent with hypothyroidism, because a hypothyroid state does not generally produce as much CO2 as euthyroid. It is common to be unaware of chronic hyperventilation. The easiest way i know of for assessing it is by measuring the Buteyko control pause. http://www.normalbreathing.com/index-measure-CP.php. Any habitual mouth-breathing, chest-breathing or frequent sighing are strong indicators, too.

moss

FYI - KMUD Herb Doctors - Altitude transcript has just been loaded and you may find of interest.
Moss

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals