Hypoparathyroid And High Blood Calcium?

scoobydoo

For many years on a low calcium diet I always had elevated calcium so I thought it would be safe to try taking calcium carbonate in 1-1.5g dosages to try and lower what was possibly a high PTH level. However this last test showed out of range low (7 mg/dl) PTH and high (10.5) calcium. is this Milk alkali syndrome? What else would cause this?

haidut

Forum Supporter
For many years on a low calcium diet I always had elevated calcium so I thought it would be safe to try taking calcium carbonate in 1-1.5g dosages to try and lower what was possibly a high PTH level. However this last test showed out of range low (7 mg/dl) PTH and high (10.5) calcium. is this Milk alkali syndrome? What else would cause this?

High estrogen/prolactin can cause mildly elevated calcium. High endotoxin can also cause it and one decent test of elevated endotoxin is HDL in the upper 25% of the normal range. If those are fine then you may want to ask your doctor to do a test for PTHrp. I am surprised the doctor has not investigated further the elevated calcium if it has been elevated for years.

OP
S

scoobydoo

High estrogen/prolactin can cause mildly elevated calcium. High endotoxin can also cause it and one decent test of elevated endotoxin is HDL in the upper 25% of the normal range. If those are fine then you may want to ask your doctor to do a test for PTHrp. I am surprised the doctor has not investigated further the elevated calcium if it has been elevated for years.

Do you think I should continue supplementing with calcium or stop it for now and retest to see if that had affected either of the levels? My Prolactin was 8 (which is much lower than it has been in the past).

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think I should continue supplementing with calcium or stop it for now and retest to see if that had affected either of the levels? My Prolactin was 8 (which is much lower than it has been in the past).

If prolactin is 8 then I would ask a doctor for alternative tests. Maybe lower the calcium intake to no more than 2g daily until more is known about what is causing the elevated serum calcium. High albumin can also cause falsely high serum calcium result.

OP
S

scoobydoo

If prolactin is 8 then I would ask a doctor for alternative tests. Maybe lower the calcium intake to no more than 2g daily until more is known about what is causing the elevated serum calcium. High albumin can also cause falsely high serum calcium result.

Do you have suggestions on what blood tests to get checked in addition? Thanks!

Daniil

If it's not a mystery, what was causing the high calcium? I have about the same situation, low parathyroid hormone and normal calcium.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Do you frequently use magnesium?
Do you know where your thyroid hormones are at?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thyroid is good (TSH .84, free T3 near the top) I do use magnoil on occasion
Magnesium deficiency can also cause low PTH.
Do you experience any hypothyroid symptoms or are you all good in that department?
Checked active vit D?

OP
S

scoobydoo

Magnesium deficiency can also cause low PTH.
Do you experience any hypothyroid symptoms or are you all good in that department?
Checked active vit D?
Well it can also suppress it too much yes? I noticed my PTH gets lower on it as well as when adding calcium carbonate

active D was 30 (mid range)

Hans

Forum Supporter
Well it can also suppress it too much yes? I noticed my PTH gets lower on it as well as when adding calcium carbonate

active D was 30 (mid range)
Yes it does work with calcium to lower PTH, but a severe deficiency can actually also lower. Not an issue if your PTH actually drops from with Mg supplementation.

Calcitonin can help to lower serum calcium levels and it's found in fish for one.

Daniil

I think this is some kind of problem with the withdrawal of excess trace elements. Some people have hypercalcemia from even small doses of vitamin D. I once had a level of magnesium and sodium in the upper limit of the d-band in the tests.

Daniil

Do you take vitamin A/have you ever taken it?

Daniil

I did but not in big doses
When was it? how much did you take?

I saw another person on this forum who claimed that vitamin D caused him to have hypercalcemia, but he was taking vitamin A also.

I've also taken this before for acne.

OP
S

scoobydoo

When was it? how much did you take?

I saw another person on this forum who claimed that vitamin D caused him to have hypercalcemia, but he was taking vitamin A also.

I've also taken this before for acne.
Yeah it wasn’t during the same span of time
This has been going on a while