Hypoglycin - A Powerful Fatty Acid Oxidation Inhibitor

haidut

Forum Supporter
I just posted another thread on the Randle Cycle. That study mentioned a natural compound called hypoglycin. It is a fatty acid oxidation inhibitor and as such, despite its toxicity if used carelessly, can be a viable alternative to people with conditions like heart failure, type I diabetes, cancer, HIV, etc. For some people, niacinamide does not provide sufficient relief since it does not inhibit fatty acid oxidation but only lipolysis. A combination of niacinamide and high dose aspirin may achieve what hypoglycin does but it is always nice to have alternatives given that some people cannot tolerate aspirin even in small doses.
For now I am just posting the Wikipedia page on it, but next week as I do some more research on it I will post actual studies, dosage, safety, side effects, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycin_A

TibRex

I just posted another thread on the Randle Cycle. That study mentioned a natural compound called hypoglycin. It is a fatty acid oxidation inhibitor and as such, despite its toxicity if used carelessly, can be a viable alternative to people with conditions like heart failure, type I diabetes, cancer, HIV, etc. For some people, niacinamide does not provide sufficient relief since it does not inhibit fatty acid oxidation but only lipolysis. A combination of niacinamide and high dose aspirin may achieve what hypoglycin does but it is always nice to have alternatives given that some people cannot tolerate aspirin even in small doses.
For now I am just posting the Wikipedia page on it, but next week as I do some more research on it I will post actual studies, dosage, safety, side effects, etc.

Hypoglycin A - Wikipedia

Hi, Interesting post despite the dated posting, but the subject content should be of perennial interest. Could you do a follow up re "dosage, safety, side effects, etc"? Hypoglycin-A can be found in fruit from the soapberry family of which the famous Jamaican Ackee fruit is an example. I read that the biochemical can be found even in the aril/flesh of DRIED litchee, and not just the unripe fruit. I presume it can also be found in dried/preserved longgan which is readily available in TCM retail outlets as there is a market for it on account of its health benefits: heart issues, neurasthenia, forgetfulness, heart palpitation, insomnia.

Here's where I read the info about the dried litchee:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02478

Eating the stuff with/following food may be a good idea though the unripe version would have a more potent glucose-lowering effect.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi, Interesting post despite the dated posting, but the subject content should be of perennial interest. Could you do a follow up re "dosage, safety, side effects, etc"? Hypoglycin-A can be found in fruit from the soapberry family of which the famous Jamaican Ackee fruit is an example. I read that the biochemical can be found even in the aril/flesh of DRIED litchee, and not just the unripe fruit. I presume it can also be found in dried/preserved longgan which is readily available in TCM retail outlets as there is a market for it on account of its health benefits: heart issues, neurasthenia, forgetfulness, heart palpitation, insomnia.

Here's where I read the info about the dried litchee:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02478

Eating the stuff with/following food may be a good idea though the unripe version would have a more potent glucose-lowering effect.

Yes, I will post more about it when I dig myself out of the email avalanche I am under :):

TibRex

Yes, I will post more about it when I dig myself out of the email avalanche I am under :)

Thanks for the response, Haidut. Great to hear from you! I'll look forward to whatever you can dig up when the email avalanche episode melts away. Am sorry to hear about your being heavily snowed under... but it's really a good marker of your growing reputation and great affection the RPF folks have for you, I think!

TibRex

I thought this was a new Idealabs product lol

No yet... pity! I'm now resigned to just eating ripened litchee, longan and rambutan, and hope that the small bit of hypoglycin-a they contain helps.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I thought this was a new Idealabs product lol

You can use Orlistat for now, as it is also an powerful FAS inhibitor and the cancer studies I posted used it with great success. But it has side effects, so it should probably be used in a lower dose and combined with niacinamide.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
No yet... pity! I'm now resigned to just eating ripened litchee, longan and rambutan, and hope that the small bit of hypoglycin-a they contain helps.

See my post above about Orlistat. It's probably OK to use in lower doses, especially when combined with some niacinamide.