Hypoglycemia With Fruit

Recoen

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?
I have hypoglycemia - blood test measured in the 30s with low-normal insulin. I’ve been following many of RP’s principles for 6mos now. Overall I’m doing really well- putting on muscle, way better cognitive ability, temps and pulse are increasing, etc. However, when I drop bread I am unable to keep my blood sugar up.
For example today I had
B: OJ, collagen, gruyere cheese, and nectarine
S: Greek yogurt with honey
L: OJ, collagen, gruyere, and blackberries
S: carrot salad and nectarine
I started to get the typical glucose-starved brain cognitive effects after the last snack. My BG was 72, so not terribly low, but once I start going low, I crash hard. After eating a bunch of waffles with maple syrup my BG is back up to 112 and I feel way better - my brain is working again and the “lights” don’t feel turned down. If I keep eating fruit my BG will continue down with some small spikes up on its way.
I ordered flour that’s unenriched, unrefined, and unbromated to do a test of if it’s the flour itself or something it’s enriched with. Though I do use energin transdermally daily.
I’m 5ft 107lbs macros are P 90 C 215 F 65

gaze

That’s quite strange. So you were fasting during ur blood test I assume? And ur doing finger prick measurements yourself after each meal? Also what’s your vitamin D levels on the blood test?

OP
Recoen

Recoen

That’s quite strange. So you were fasting during ur blood test I assume? And ur doing finger prick measurements yourself after each meal? Also what’s your vitamin D levels on the blood test?
The blood test was fasting and done in January.
The 72 and 112 were from today and yes finger prick. I’ve tested using multiple meters and they all match.

My 25D was 33 but I haven’t had my 1,25 checked. So it could be low. I do spend a ton of time in the sun and always make sure to get 5,000-10,000 IU calculated by dminder/day.

gaze

The blood test was fasting and done in January.
The 72 and 112 were from today and yes finger prick. I’ve tested using multiple meters and they all match.

My 25D was 33 but I haven’t had my 1,25 checked. So it could be low. I do spend a ton of time in the sun and always make sure to get 5,000-10,000 IU calculated by dminder/day.

So were you eating like this back during the blood test? I would aim for 10-15000 IU vit d daily if your calculating it, just to bring it up around 50. That will help your blood sugar control, also, is there certain weight goals you have?

gaze

Also salt plays a big role in blood sugar control, are you salting to taste? It can be hard to get enough salt eating fruit only, maybe adding A pinch of sodium bicarb in orange juice can help and is tasty

OP
Recoen

Recoen

Also salt plays a big role in blood sugar control, are you salting to taste? It can be hard to get enough salt eating fruit only, maybe adding A pinch of sodium bicarb in orange juice can help and is tasty
Thanks for all your help! I do add sodium bicarb to my OJ, salt to the carrot salad, and when I eat beef, oysters, shrimp, etc.
I’ll increase my dminder time. Though I think I’m definitely hitting 15,000+ because
I only track during solar noon. But I am outside for 2-4h in the UVB window/d.
I have considered supplementing D but I know vit A and D are closely tied like E and K. And RP recommends keeping A on the lower side in a hypothyroid state.

I would like to continue to increase my muscle mass - I used to have recurring rhabdomyolysis. And slowly lose a little fat mass (like 2lbs) but more so for my skin to get tighter/ deal with some cellulite and varicose veins. But really I want my blood glucose to be stable. So I am more than happy to gain weight if I need to.

Lollipop2

I remember some older members of this forum concluding that when they did not have a strong thyroid, their body did better with a little starch. You can try some potatoes - I like the small red as they are lower oxalate. You also can find some good corn tortillas and make cheese tacos, you can try white jasmine rice, you can make your own bread with low gluten Einkorn flour (all purpose). Adding in small amounts daily might help stabilize the blood sugar.

OP
Recoen

Recoen

I remember some older members of this forum concluding that when they did not have a strong thyroid, their body did better with a little starch. You can try some potatoes - I like the small red as they are lower oxalate. You also can find some good corn tortillas and make cheese tacos, you can try white jasmine rice, you can make your own bread with low gluten Einkorn flour (all purpose). Adding in small amounts daily might help stabilize the blood sugar.

Thank you so much! Haha I’m not that old, 29, but my body has been through a lot- looking at my chart you would expect me to be 60+. But you probably mean old like they’ve been on the forum for a long time :)

I know I’ve had thyroid problems since childhood as I had bad “growing pains” in my muscles and I’m only 5ft. Probably some form of KDS and even Hoffman syndrome as an adult. The ancestral thyroid has been helping but I'm considering trying some T3. I’ve been reading Broda Barnes books. And was able to get a copy of Constance Martins first edition textbook. Both have been incredibly helpful. I’m scanning in Martins book and will try to post it to the forum when finished.

I don’t seem to have a gluten issue so I’m hoping the unadulterated flour will work :).

gaze

Thanks for all your help! I do add sodium bicarb to my OJ, salt to the carrot salad, and when I eat beef, oysters, shrimp, etc.
I’ll increase my dminder time. Though I think I’m definitely hitting 15,000+ because
I only track during solar noon. But I am outside for 2-4h in the UVB window/d.
I have considered supplementing D but I know vit A and D are closely tied like E and K. And RP recommends keeping A on the lower side in a hypothyroid state.

I would like to continue to increase my muscle mass - I used to have recurring rhabdomyolysis. And slowly lose a little fat mass (like 2lbs) but more so for my skin to get tighter/ deal with some cellulite and varicose veins. But really I want my blood glucose to be stable. So I am more than happy to gain weight if I need to.

I also supplement with 2500-5000 vit D even though I get a good amount of sunlight because my cholesterol is generally low, so my conversion is quite poor. if your eating cheese and milk, vit D is very safe to supplement with, and acts a lot like thyroid. I’m not sure how diverse your diet is outside what you mentioned, but just adding one or 2 eggs daily is Safe for vitamin A and has a lot of other nutrients, also if you can find an aged Gouda cheese from Netherlands, it has a lot of vitamin K2 per ounce and you can interchange it with your gruyere which is also quite high in K2 if I remember correctly

OP
Recoen

Recoen

I also supplement with 2500-5000 vit D even though I get a good amount of sunlight because my cholesterol is generally low, so my conversion is quite poor. if your eating cheese and milk, vit D is very safe to supplement with, and acts a lot like thyroid. I’m not sure how diverse your diet is outside what you mentioned, but just adding one or 2 eggs daily is Safe for vitamin A and has a lot of other nutrients, also if you can find an aged Gouda cheese from Netherlands, it has a lot of vitamin K2 per ounce and you can interchange it with your gruyere which is also quite high in K2 if I remember correctly
Thank you! I do eat 1-2 eggs per day. The last time I had my cholesterol checked was 2016 and it was on the higher end - thyroid for sure. I do wonder about conversion issues.
What vit D do you use? Do you use it transdermally? I believe RP recommends fat solubles through the skin. Do you take it daily?
I do have some tocovit and kuinone but haven’t tried them yet. I have an aversion to most dairy - I had to work up to the gruyere and Greek yogurt. I like hard cheeses but finding them with animal rennet has been a little difficult. The gruyere from Trader Joe’s has the animal rennet. I tried 1tbsp of different kinds of milk in my OJ but it causes me to gag. I do use some milk when I make oyster soup.

gaze

Thank you! I do eat 1-2 eggs per day. The last time I had my cholesterol checked was 2016 and it was on the higher end - thyroid for sure. I do wonder about conversion issues.
What vit D do you use? Do you use it transdermally? I believe RP recommends fat solubles through the skin. Do you take it daily?
I do have some tocovit and kuinone but haven’t tried them yet. I have an aversion to most dairy - I had to work up to the gruyere and Greek yogurt. I like hard cheeses but finding them with animal rennet has been a little difficult. The gruyere from Trader Joe’s has the animal rennet. I tried 1tbsp of different kinds of milk in my OJ but it causes me to gag. I do use some milk when I make oyster soup.

Ah I see, yea your one step away, just a slight deficiency of thyroid if ur cholesterol is a bit high which is actually a good sign as dealing with low cholesterol is another issue you’d have to tackle before thyroid. I take Vitamin D over the skin as well, I just put a couple drops on my calf and rub it in. Ray says 10x the oral dose but I do 5x just to be a little on the safer side. oral is much better absorption wise, but most supplements have junk in them that can cause Gi discomfort (although it’s highly individual, so you could test it out and see). I usually take it whenever I feel I haven’t had as much sun, although I often forget (my levels are in the 30s too) in terms of dairy, getting 2-3 cups of milk at the very least would probably help you but I understand the taste aversion and history of not likening it. i definitely wouldn’t mix it with OJ personally (sounds awful), but some coffee with some milk or hot cocoa if you don’t drink coffee, with a lot of honey or sugar, can really help where you don’t even taste the milk at all. if you have a vons/pavilions/Safeway (their all owned by the same parent company), they sell some imported cheese with rennet, although the price can be hefty

Lollipop2

Haha I’m not that old, 29, but my body has been through a lot- looking at my chart you would expect me to be 60+. But you probably mean old like they’ve been on the forum for a long time :)
LoL! Yes I meant who have been around for a long time. You are pretty smart for 29, I must say.

OP
Recoen

Recoen

Ah I see, yea your one step away, just a slight deficiency of thyroid if ur cholesterol is a bit high which is actually a good sign as dealing with low cholesterol is another issue you’d have to tackle before thyroid. I take Vitamin D over the skin as well, I just put a couple drops on my calf and rub it in. Ray says 10x the oral dose but I do 5x just to be a little on the safer side. oral is much better absorption wise, but most supplements have junk in them that can cause Gi discomfort (although it’s highly individual, so you could test it out and see). I usually take it whenever I feel I haven’t had as much sun, although I often forget (my levels are in the 30s too) in terms of dairy, getting 2-3 cups of milk at the very least would probably help you but I understand the taste aversion and history of not likening it. i definitely wouldn’t mix it with OJ personally (sounds awful), but some coffee with some milk or hot cocoa if you don’t drink coffee, with a lot of honey or sugar, can really help where you don’t even taste the milk at all. if you have a vons/pavilions/Safeway (their all owned by the same parent company), they sell some imported cheese with rennet, although the price can be hefty

I’ll have to try the hot chocolate and milk suggestion. Do you know of any hot chocolate brands that don’t have a ton of other stuff in them? I did buy some white chocolate from a company @Lollipop2 mentioned in another thread.

I have a really bad stress response to coffee - with food, milk/heavy cream, and sugar. I am slowly starting to add it with a dark roast decaf.

I increased my salt intake today - basically ate the same as yesterday but added salt to the fruit. I didn’t have a hypoglycemia incident this afternoon! And didn’t need bread to keep my BG up. I wonder what it is about fructose and salt. Probably has to do with K and fructose coming into the cell.

I did have the stereotypical late afternoon energy drop. With that came some brain fog. Do you have any thoughts on how to help that? I noticed my temps were dropping and my hands and feet were getting cold. So I made beef bone broth with oysters and shrimp soup. That made my hands and feet warm quickly. But the brain fog and lower energy remained.

OP
Recoen

Recoen

LoL! Yes I meant who have been around for a long time. You are pretty smart for 29, I must say.
Thank you for saying so :). I think you, and many others on this board, are as well! I appreciate the help and discussion.

Energizer

Does anyone have any thoughts on the following?
I have hypoglycemia - blood test measured in the 30s with low-normal insulin. I’ve been following many of RP’s principles for 6mos now. Overall I’m doing really well- putting on muscle, way better cognitive ability, temps and pulse are increasing, etc. However, when I drop bread I am unable to keep my blood sugar up.
For example today I had
B: OJ, collagen, gruyere cheese, and nectarine
S: Greek yogurt with honey
L: OJ, collagen, gruyere, and blackberries
S: carrot salad and nectarine
I started to get the typical glucose-starved brain cognitive effects after the last snack. My BG was 72, so not terribly low, but once I start going low, I crash hard. After eating a bunch of waffles with maple syrup my BG is back up to 112 and I feel way better - my brain is working again and the “lights” don’t feel turned down. If I keep eating fruit my BG will continue down with some small spikes up on its way.
I ordered flour that’s unenriched, unrefined, and unbromated to do a test of if it’s the flour itself or something it’s enriched with. Though I do use energin transdermally daily.
I’m 5ft 107lbs macros are P 90 C 215 F 65

Maybe more frequent snacks, more carbs. Carrying around a bottle of orange juice or apple juice around with you when you feel faint could help prevent future bloodsugar crashes. I am not sure what the lactic acid content of the strained Greek version is but it might be enough to affect blood sugar in a sensitive person. Low thyroid goes together with poor liver function, high estrogen, and interferes with glycogen storage. Certain fruits can also irritate the gut, personally I avoid a lot of types of fruits for this reason, the fiber tends to ferment and might contribute to endotoxin production.

Last edited:
OP
Recoen

Recoen

Maybe more frequent snacks, more carbs. Carrying around a bottle of orange juice or apple juice around with you when you feel faint could help prevent future bloodsugar crashes. I am not sure what the lactic acid content of the strained Greek version is but it might be enough to affect blood sugar in a sensitive person. Low thyroid goes together with poor liver function, high estrogen, and interferes with glycogen storage. Certain fruits can also irritate the gut, personally I avoid a lot of types of fruits for this reason, the fiber tends to ferment and might contribute to endotoxin production.
Thanks for your input!

I love nectarines and am enjoying them in season. I do find they’re starting to cause some gut fermentation. Once I finish this box I’ll switch over to apple sauce.

Good pick up on the yogurt. It’s the Trader Joe’s brand Greek honey yogurt. I am trying to get dairy/ Ca in. I’ll try adding more gruyere cheese instead. Milk and I have had a bad relationship since forever. I can handle some in coffee and hot chocolate. Straight and I start throwing up - definitely psychological at this point :/.

I’m considering trying some thyroid. I like the ancestral supplements thyroid but I wonder if I need more T3. I know RP has said women, especially if they have liver issues, have a hard time converting T4 to T3.

Last edited:

Energizer

No problem. You can also try making your own farmers cheese, that way you can use 1% or skim milk if you want a less fattening option. Farmers cheese has higher relative phosphorous of other cheeses but is still an excellent source of high quality protein. Eggshell if it agrees with you can help increase calcium, high calcium to phosphorous ratio lowers prolactin and stress hormones and increases the metabolic rate.

Yeah you have to watch and see if its raising your temperature and pulse, and T3 is a good idea to try. I have no experience with that particular brand but you'll know if it works or not within a few weeks if you're noticing your morning temperature and pulse going up.

yerrag

How long after a meal do you start feeling low on sugar? And what happens when you say, eat a piece of candy at this point?

OP
Recoen

Recoen

No problem. You can also try making your own farmers cheese, that way you can use 1% or skim milk if you want a less fattening option. Farmers cheese has higher relative phosphorous of other cheeses but is still an excellent source of high quality protein. Eggshell if it agrees with you can help increase calcium, high calcium to phosphorous ratio lowers prolactin and stress hormones and increases the metabolic rate.

Yeah you have to watch and see if its raising your temperature and pulse, and T3 is a good idea to try. I have no experience with that particular brand but you'll know if it works or not within a few weeks if you're noticing your morning temperature and pulse going up.

Have you tried a T3 product that raised your levels? I see idealabs has tyronene. I haven’t looked much into dosing of other T3 products but the 8ug/drop makes me hesitate a little. Obviously I could dilute it with some vodka.

With thyroid, do most stay on a supplemental form for the rest of their life? Or is it like RP’s year of high dose pregnenolone - he said he hasn’t needed it since?

Thanks for the recipe! I’m not a melted cheese person either :/. I do use egg shells so I’ll try increasing that a little too.

OP
Recoen

Recoen

How long after a meal do you start feeling low on sugar? And what happens when you say, eat a piece of candy at this point?
My low BG response really depends. I historically have had my worse lows 3d before my period. Before ovulation I have way better fasting regulation - I can delay breakfast.

Once I start eating for the day if I only consume fruit as my carb source, I literally have to keep eating all day. I can feel the lows happen after about 30min I would say - my brain starts feeling sluggish then really starved of fuel. The added salt really helped today. I didn’t feel the dips and while my BG was lower than I would expect after eating a bunch of fruit, it was still in the 90s.

If I eat something like a Milky Way my BG is stable for longer than if I have a bunch of jolly ranchers (matching carbs and also calories). With the jolly ranchers it’s more like the fruit.