Hypoglycemia With Fruit

yerrag

My low BG response really depends. I historically have had my worse lows 3d before my period. Before ovulation I have way better fasting regulation - I can delay breakfast.

Once I start eating for the day if I only consume fruit as my carb source, I literally have to keep eating all day. I can feel the lows happen after about 30min I would say - my brain starts feeling sluggish then really starved of fuel. The added salt really helped today. I didn’t feel the dips and while my BG was lower than I would expect after eating a bunch of fruit, it was still in the 90s.

If I eat something like a Milky Way my BG is stable for longer than if I have a bunch of jolly ranchers (matching carbs and also calories). With the jolly ranchers it’s more like the fruit.
What happens when you eat sweet potatoes with butter? Have you tried that? Along with egg? It seems you need to take complex carbohydrates to slow down the rate at which sugar is assimilated into blood. Fruits have simple sugars that get assimilated too quickly into blood, and your tissues are overwhelmed by the sudden rush of sugar. That raises your blood sugar and causes an insulin reaction, which causes the liver to convert sugar too quickly to fatty acids, making blood sugar plummet.

Yet blood sugar should recover and not plunge to the 30s because glycogen would be converted by the liver to sugar and thus raise blood sugar. You may not. have enough glycogen stores.

Your food choices have to be adjusted to accommodate your current condition. Less simple sugars more complex carbohydrates - sweet potatoes and brown rice and not potatoes and bread and white rice, and not fruit juice nor fruits. Even though fruits are Peaty.

Then it helps to have more protein with your meals as protein can get converted to sugar with the action of. cortisol when in a pinch.

This would keep you amply supplied with sugar to keep your BS from plunging. The way you're eating and with the condition you're in (poor sugar metabolism - a separate topic) makes for a double whammy that puts you where you're always low on BS, to the point where you're not even able to replenish your glycogen stores.

Energizer

Have you tried a T3 product that raised your levels? I see idealabs has tyronene. I haven’t looked much into dosing of other T3 products but the 8ug/drop makes me hesitate a little. Obviously I could dilute it with some vodka.

With thyroid, do most stay on a supplemental form for the rest of their life? Or is it like RP’s year of high dose pregnenolone - he said he hasn’t needed it since?

Thanks for the recipe! I’m not a melted cheese person either :/. I do use egg shells so I’ll try increasing that a little too.

It varies. Some people are so ill that they rely on thyroid to survive (like people that have had their glands removed), me personally I could live without it, but I feel better on it. I think of it like a food, in pill form, because it's just a gland. It's just the FDA banned the sale of it years ago so now the only reliable way to get it generally speaking, is in pill form. Some people just take it once and it helps them out of their slump.

I nibble a Cynomel tablet throughout the afternoon and in the evening I take Cynoplus (I split it into small pieces).

You don't have to melt the cheese, that's just an option. But I promise I will not send you any more melted cheese recipes. More for me :sunglasses:

gaze

@Recoen

Just to be a little on the safe side, try cutting the collagen powder (I assume that’s where your getting your collagen) for a couple days. if you feel the same, then you can add it back, but sometimes slight manufacturing impurities can cause brain fog etc. In terms of coffee hot cocoa, I don’t have any recommended brands because I don’t consume hot chocolate myself, but I think your on the right track with decaf coffee. if coffee gives you bad anxiety, definitely don’t force it, decaf has a lot of benefits still and may let you drink some milk with it. Caffeine intolerance sometimes (but not always) shows a slight b vitamin deficiency. Do you consume occasional liver?

Last edited:

jet9

My low BG response really depends. I historically have had my worse lows 3d before my period. Before ovulation I have way better fasting regulation - I can delay breakfast.

Once I start eating for the day if I only consume fruit as my carb source, I literally have to keep eating all day. I can feel the lows happen after about 30min I would say - my brain starts feeling sluggish then really starved of fuel. The added salt really helped today. I didn’t feel the dips and while my BG was lower than I would expect after eating a bunch of fruit, it was still in the 90s.

If I eat something like a Milky Way my BG is stable for longer than if I have a bunch of jolly ranchers (matching carbs and also calories). With the jolly ranchers it’s more like the fruit.
I had(have) same problem with fruits if I consumed starches. Basically if i abstain from starches for 24+ hours I can tolerate fruits much better and they don’t crush my blood sugar. Grains (wheat, etc) are the worst. When I eat grains my body does not work as it should. I am better with potatoes/sweet potatoes but still they have some negative effect.

Try diet of meat/organs/seafood/dairy(if you eat it), fruits, veggies + once in a while (once every 3 days) potato/sweet potato

yerrag

I had(have) same problem with fruits if I consumed starches.
She did not say she has probems with frutis when she consumes starches. So you don't have the same problem it seems.

jet9

She did not say she has probems with frutis when she consumes starches. So you don't have the same problem it seems.
How did you know that she tested/tried to remove the starches for 24 hours+ ?
Starch might be possible cause for poor fruit tolerance.

Here is similar experience:
How Do You Saitiate With No Starch?
"I would like to add that low starch (even small amounts of well cooked potatoes) did not have any beneficial effect for me. Eliminating starch entirely is what finally worked."

yerrag

How did you know that she tested/tried to remove the starches for 24 hours+ ?
I said "she did not say" she has problems with fruits when she consumes starches, but you somehow implied she is in the same situation as you.

I did not claim to know anything about her consumption of starches.

yerrag

Here is similar experience:
How Do You Saitiate With No Starch?
"I would like to add that low starch (even small amounts of well cooked potatoes) did not have any beneficial effect for me. Eliminating starch entirely is what finally worked."
This is his experience. And yours. It may apply to her, and it may not. What did Ray Peat say about context?

opson123

This is his experience. And yours. It may apply to her, and it may not. What did Ray Peat say about context?
jet9 suggested she tries avoiding starches for a while to see if it helps as it did for him. How is this out of context?

yerrag

jet9 suggested she tries avoiding starches for a while to see if it helps as it did for him. How is this out of context?
Did he even try to ask if she takes starch in the first place? How does not trying to understand her context be anything but being out of context?

Please explain that. You're jumping in without knowing much of what's been said is a prime case of being out of context, ironically.

opson123

I don't understand, why the aggressive tone?

I asked, because I think his suggestion isn't out of context. You yourself gave a suggestion before even waiting for her to reply to your question. How is this any different?

yerrag

I don't understand, why the aggressive tone?

I asked, because I think his suggestion isn't out of context. You yourself gave a suggestion before even waiting for her to reply to your question. How is this any different from jet9's suggestion?
If I have to explain any more to you knowing you can't figure out the distinction no matter how I cut it and dice it, why bother?

opson123

I honestly don't understand why you're so aggressive towards me. Did I really say something in our short interaction that made you so angry? It's more like you just want to be right.

yerrag

You're ignored.

OP
Recoen

Recoen

I really appreciate everyone’s input!

@yerrag I have been avoiding sweet potatoes because of the oxalate content. In terms of maintaining BG it’s fruit < sweet potatoes < white potato < bread. Same ordering if I add fat like butter or heavy cream with them. The thing with my BG is it never gets really high - I’m hardly in the 120s, even after straight sugar. Now that could be my “high” so I could theoretically be swinging. But I do agree it has a lot to do with glycogen storage issues. This used to be a major issue when I would get sick. My body would start burning my muscle for energy, even if I was drinking OJ all day (and night), to keep up with my immune system. I would start to really smell like bad keto acidosis. And end up with rhabdomyolysis. Thankfully that hasn’t happened since using B vitamins and eating this way. I’m also putting on muscle and can lift again!
I’m getting 90+g of protein per day. If I have more, I usually need more bread because of the insulin response. I wonder if more fruit juice with a ton of salt would help. As long as yesterday’s salt experiment wasn’t a flop.
You mentioned sugar metabolism issues, when you have the time will you please go into this further? And any thoughts on helping glycogen storage.

@Kammas the Great Lakes collagen has been really helpful for me and I had the brain fog issues for 5+y before starting it. I am hypermobile/hEDS and the collagen has really helped my connective tissue and skin. It also caused a noticeable increase in temps when I added it 4mos ago.
I don’t eat fresh liver but take the ancestral supplements thyroid that has desiccated liver. I also supplement B vitamins - energin, ~20mg TTFD, and sometimes some adenosylcobalamin (helps with my lower leg bruising).

@jet9 thanks for the suggestion! I can’t get to the point of avoiding starches and just having sugar without having my BG crash the same day :/.

@Dutchie thanks for the chocolate suggestion!

@Energizer you can have all the melted cheese lol. I’m not sure if the proteins or fat changes, but I don’t do well with cheese at room temperature. I usually eat the gruyere right out of the fridge and have been known to put it in the freezer before eating.
Are you in the US? If you are, do you have issues with getting cynomel and cynoplus through the border? When figuring out what dose you need, did you use Dr Broda Barnes work as a guide?

Energizer

Yeah. No issues with getting them through. When I was first trying to understand hypothyroid symptoms, I did use it sort of to test it against Peat's articles to see if they were lining up. But there's so much overlap, I didn't really need it. I think it might be redundant for people that have read all his articles and listened to his interviews. Barnes' writing is simple and straight to the point which is probably helpful for newbies looking for solutions who haven't heard of Peat. One of the most useful parts of that book Hypothyroidism an Unsuspected Illness is learning how to gauge thyroid function outside of the conventional blood tests they give (ie. taking the pulse, temperature, etc).

OP
Recoen

Recoen

Yeah. No issues with getting them through. When I was first trying to understand hypothyroid symptoms, I did use it sort of to test it against Peat's articles to see if they were lining up. But there's so much overlap, I didn't really need it. I think it might be redundant for people that have read all his articles and listened to his interviews. Barnes' writing is simple and straight to the point which is probably helpful for newbies looking for solutions who haven't heard of Peat. One of the most useful parts of that book Hypothyroidism an Unsuspected Illness is learning how to gauge thyroid function outside of the conventional blood tests they give (ie. taking the pulse, temperature, etc).
Have you by any chance tested the idealabs thyroid products vs cynomel and cynoplus? If so, will you please comment on if you found them to be just as effective?

Energizer

When I tried the Tyronene years ago, I wasn't particularly impressed with the effects. Could've been the batch. I haven't tried the other thyroid products from idealabs so can't comment on those.

I prefer the Cynomel and Cynoplus.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals