Hypoglycemia: It's Not Your Mind, It's Your Liver [Broda Barnes]

Cirion

interesting thoughts. It is worth noting that I had lots of frequent urination problems when I was a kid and I actually had a few Dr. visits over it and guess what... They treated the symptom instead of the cause (like always). Never once did they suspect I might have hormonal/blood sugar/liver imbalances, even though that's the actual problem. I was really emotional as a kid. It took me long until my adult life and finally dabbling with health, and experience better emotions, that I finally realized that I was not doomed to a depressing life forever. I suspect this is the case for many other people, who have never experienced good health and thus doom themselves to poor health forever. If it wasn't for experiencing brief spells of excellent health I might not believe it was possible myself.

30 years later and only now have I finally self-diagnosed the problem because Dr.'s are literally worthless. And people ask me why I don't trust Dr.'s. Lol... except for Dr. Peat maybe.

Buckian

Does anyone have access to a digital copy of Hypoglycemia: It's Not Your Mind, It's Your Liver [Broda Barnes], that they are willing to share ? (Asking for a friend.)

TheLA5

Reactive hypoglycemia is a b****. I went through it for a few years. I believe it is much worse in the morning when cortisol is high which makes you more sensitive to the effects of insulin after a meal, makes the blood sugar fall too quickly and adrenaline kicks in to prevent a hypoglycemic event. That is what causes the anxiety or aggression. The adrenaline which is keeping you alive. So technically you won't see it on the blood sugar monitor because the adrenaline is keeping it from plummeting and causing a coma. Actually this thread is helping me understand why my son has meltdowns. He is very thin, always thirsty, always hungry but doesn't always eat enough, and pees a lot. He likely has poor blood sugar handling but I've never caught a high blood sugar higher than what would cause me to take him to the doctor Hi.
Hi. What helped you the most with reactive hypoglycemia? I have been struggling with this for years and there is not much improvement. The worst is always in the morning. Even 5g of sugar gives me low blood sugar.

TheLA5

Hypoglycemia: It's Not Your Mind, It's Your Liver

Yeah in the book turns out it's not your mind, not your liver, but your thyroid ..
Any others advice from this book? I recently ordered tyromix so I'll see if it helps. unfortunately I can't find any copy of the book with a reasonable shipping price to my country.

David PS

TheLA5

@TheLA5 - Broda Barnes has an interview on YouTube. This below link will open where he talks about hypoglycemia. The entire video is worth watching.

View: https://youtu.be/YFEGcOo-QpQ?t=1059

It is interesting that Broda died in 1988 at the age of 82. see Broda Otto Barnes - Wikipedia

Thanks for this. Fat works very well for me. Except for sleep quality. That's why in the morning I eat mainly fats and only after about 6 hours I allow myself complex carbohydrates. Sorghum works great for me because it does not give low sugar. But I can't eat rice or potatoes no matter what time of day. And simple sugar also works very badly for me. I use it only in small amounts in the later hours when I feel that my sugar has dropped too much. Usually honey, because it makes me feel warm. but if I exaggerate with the amount, it's even worse than before the sugar. I recently switched from coffee to cocoa, because coffee, whether with a meal or not, lowers my blood sugar anyway.

David PS

Thanks for this. Fat works very well for me. Except for sleep quality. That's why in the morning I eat mainly fats and only after about 6 hours I allow myself complex carbohydrates. Sorghum works great for me because it does not give low sugar. But I can't eat rice or potatoes no matter what time of day. And simple sugar also works very badly for me. I use it only in small amounts in the later hours when I feel that my sugar has dropped too much. Usually honey, because it makes me feel warm. but if I exaggerate with the amount, it's even worse than before the sugar. I recently switched from coffee to cocoa, because coffee, whether with a meal or not, lowers my blood sugar anyway.

I had some issues that are similar to what you describe. Now, I eat closely to the patterns (hacks) recommended in the thread below. The visuals created in the thread are based on results from a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It may take you some time, but I have been able to retrain my glucose response so that it is healthier. I sleep thru the night without issues.

TheLA5

I had some issues that are similar to what you describe. Now, I eat closely to the patterns (hacks) recommended in the thread below. The visuals created in the thread are based on results from a continuous glucose monitor (CGM). It may take you some time, but I have been able to retrain my glucose response so that it is healthier. I sleep thru the night without issues.

Yes, I follow some of these rules. However, not everything works. Vinegar and fiber only make my symptoms worse. Moving around after a meal definitely helps

David PS

@TheLA5 - I suspect that you will need more time to ease into it slowly.

Other suggestions may be found at:

Ray Peat:
Always being ready to move ahead with problems that had seemed unsolvable is important.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals