Hypo-intellectism: is hypothyroidism the cause?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Part 1 was about the importance of glucose for the brain.
Part 2, this article, is about the importance of thyroid for brain function.

Few take away points, thyroid promotes neurogenesis, neuroprotection, glucose oxidation, mitochondrial biogenesis, antioxidant defences in the brain, the synthesis of neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing steroids and more.

Let me know what you think.

PolishSun

Thank you, it is a useful article, just one question: what about B1 (thiamine) and megadosing it?

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thank you, it is a useful article, just one question: what about B1 (thiamine) and megadosing it?
Thanks for reading! B1 will definitely be in part 3 as it can be very helpful for optimizing glucose oxidation, preventing excess oxidative stress, increase CO2 and dopamine, etc.

PolishSun

Thanks for reading! B1 will definitely be in part 3 as it can be very helpful for optimizing glucose oxidation, preventing excess oxidative stress, increase CO2 and dopamine, etc.
Ok! I will definitely check the 3rd part.

PolishSun

I read that a quart of coffee destroys almost all thiamine in the body (reserves). Maybe that could be checked somehow for the third part.

mostlylurking

Part 1 was about the importance of glucose for the brain.
Part 2, this article, is about the importance of thyroid for brain function.

Few take away points, thyroid promotes neurogenesis, neuroprotection, glucose oxidation, mitochondrial biogenesis, antioxidant defences in the brain, the synthesis of neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing steroids and more.

Let me know what you think.
Hi Hans, I missed reading Part 1; it would be very helpful if you would link Part 1 from Part 2 as I can't find it on your site. Thanks!

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I read that a quart of coffee destroys almost all thiamine in the body (reserves). Maybe that could be checked somehow for the third part.
I've never seen a study to support that, but if you have one, please share.
I've seen a study that shows that people who drink coffee regularly have slightly less of certain B vitamins than those that don't drink regularly but keep in mind, people who usually binge on coffee also binge on baked goodies, which are very poor sources of B-vitamins.
There is no way that 1 quart of coffee destroys all thiamine stores in the body. If that was true, you'd be dead.

mostlylurking

I've never seen a study to support that, but if you have one, please share.
I've seen a study that shows that people who drink coffee regularly have slightly less of certain B vitamins than those that don't drink regularly but keep in mind, people who usually binge on coffee also binge on baked goodies, which are very poor sources of B-vitamins.
There is no way that 1 quart of coffee destroys all thiamine stores in the body. If that was true, you'd be dead.
Dr. Costantini addressed the coffee issue (I'm pretty sure) but now I can't find it HDT Therapy. From memory, Costantini said to space the coffee away from the dose of thiamine hcl and to try to cut back to one cup a day.

I did find this: Thiamine Repletion, Calcium Management, and the Heart - Hormones Matter

snippet: "Coffee and tea, the two more popular carriers of caffeine, are also high in thiaminase, a thiamine breakdown enzyme. Given how many of us are addicted to coffee and the caffeine it holds, this is problematic on for both thiamine maintenance and heart function."

also this:
Vitamin B1 Thiamine Deficiency.
Wiley KD, Gupta M.
Thiamine was the first vitamin identified (vitamin B1) many years ago. ...Additionally, certain food products such as tea, coffee, raw fish, and shellfish, contain thiaminases - enzymes that destroy thiamine. ...

and: Antithiamine effect of coffee - PubMed which yields a list of articles.

When I was so sick last fall due to thiamine functional blockage, I drank a cup of coffee and it just about finished me off.

Cloudhands

I regularly drink almost 2 liters of coffee daily, and have to continuously supplement thiamine or i quickly show deficiency symptoms. Coffee does give similar euphoria and magical feelings as B1 tho so i wonder if thiaminase is just increasing the usage of stored B1 rather than just destroying it unpurposely

PolishSun

I regularly drink almost 2 liters of coffee daily, and have to continuously supplement thiamine or i quickly show deficiency symptoms. Coffee does give similar euphoria and magical feelings as B1 tho so i wonder if thiaminase is just increasing the usage of stored B1 rather than just destroying it unpurposely

I also love coffee, to quit it in order to get thiamine levels up is a depressing thought.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
Dr. Costantini addressed the coffee issue (I'm pretty sure) but now I can't find it HDT Therapy. From memory, Costantini said to space the coffee away from the dose of thiamine hcl and to try to cut back to one cup a day.

I did find this: Thiamine Repletion, Calcium Management, and the Heart - Hormones Matter

snippet: "Coffee and tea, the two more popular carriers of caffeine, are also high in thiaminase, a thiamine breakdown enzyme. Given how many of us are addicted to coffee and the caffeine it holds, this is problematic on for both thiamine maintenance and heart function."

also this:
Vitamin B1 Thiamine Deficiency.
Wiley KD, Gupta M.
Thiamine was the first vitamin identified (vitamin B1) many years ago. ...Additionally, certain food products such as tea, coffee, raw fish, and shellfish, contain thiaminases - enzymes that destroy thiamine. ...

and: Antithiamine effect of coffee - PubMed which yields a list of articles.

When I was so sick last fall due to thiamine functional blockage, I drank a cup of coffee and it just about finished me off.
Thanks. I'm just curious as to how severely it actually destroys B1. Yes it does contain thiaminase, but will it really cause a deficiency. B1 is mostly inside the cell, will thiaminase also enter into the cell, or will it only circulate the body before it's detoxed by the liver.

But if coffee was able to cause a severe deficiency if coffee was taken with B1 rich food, then it would be best to separate the coffee from that food by about 3 hours or so. Perhaps in a hypometabolic state the body is less able to hold on to the B1 and then the B1 is destroyed or flushed out by the coffee. But if someone is healthy and the B1 is intracellularly, then lots of coffee intake might not be an issue at all.

youngsinatra

I was wondering about the coffee and B1 connection as well. Maybe trying to ingest B1 before a meal, eating a big meal and ingesting coffee 20 min after the meal so that thiamin is mostly absorbed already. I use coffee as a iron-chelator, and luckily it decreases iron absorption even 1h after ingestion according to some research.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
I was wondering about the coffee and B1 connection as well. Maybe trying to ingest B1 before a meal, eating a big meal and ingesting coffee 20 min after the meal so that thiamin is mostly absorbed already. I use coffee as a iron-chelator, and luckily it decreases iron absorption even 1h after ingestion according to some research.
After a quick search, I can't find whether they are referring to heme or non heme iron. Tea inhibits mostly non-heme iron absorption so I think coffee does mostly the same. So if you get your iron from animal products, which is mostly heme, then coffee won't really have an inhibitory effect. This study found that coffee intake is only slightly lower in coffee drinkers, and most people don't eat a lot of animal products to begin with.

"Tea also has a strong inhibitory effect on the absorption of non-heme iron, which accounts for 70–90% of dietary iron"

If non-heme accounts for 70-90% of total dietary iron intake, then these people are on a low animal protein diet for sure.
It's like vitamin C that enhances iron absorption. It only enhances non-heme iron absorption.

youngsinatra

After a quick search, I can't find whether they are referring to heme or non heme iron. Tea inhibits mostly non-heme iron absorption so I think coffee does mostly the same. So if you get your iron from animal products, which is mostly heme, then coffee won't really have an inhibitory effect. This study found that coffee intake is only slightly lower in coffee drinkers, and most people don't eat a lot of animal products to begin with.

"Tea also has a strong inhibitory effect on the absorption of non-heme iron, which accounts for 70–90% of dietary iron"

If non-heme accounts for 70-90% of total dietary iron intake, then these people are on a low animal protein diet for sure.
It's like vitamin C that enhances iron absorption. It only enhances non-heme iron absorption.
"A cup of coffee reduced iron absorption from a hamburger meal by 39% as compared to a 64% decrease with tea, which is known to be a potent inhibitor of iron absorption. When a cup of drip coffee or instant coffee was ingested with a meal composed of semipurified ingredients, absorption was reduced from 5.88% to 1.64 and 0.97%, respectively, and when the strength of the instant coffee was doubled, percentage iron absorption fell to 0.53%. No decrease in iron absorption occurred when coffee was consumed 1 h before a meal, but the same degree of inhibition as with simultaneous ingestion was seen when coffee was taken 1 h later."

But even if not, I do donate blood 3-4 times a year.

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
"A cup of coffee reduced iron absorption from a hamburger meal by 39% as compared to a 64% decrease with tea, which is known to be a potent inhibitor of iron absorption. When a cup of drip coffee or instant coffee was ingested with a meal composed of semipurified ingredients, absorption was reduced from 5.88% to 1.64 and 0.97%, respectively, and when the strength of the instant coffee was doubled, percentage iron absorption fell to 0.53%. No decrease in iron absorption occurred when coffee was consumed 1 h before a meal, but the same degree of inhibition as with simultaneous ingestion was seen when coffee was taken 1 h later."

But even if not, I do donate blood 3-4 times a year.
Yes I've seen that study, but as I mentioned, they don't specific between heme or non-heme iron. So it doesn't say if it will actually reduce iron absorption on a high meat intake diet.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals