Hypnic Jerks

Mittir

Magnesium also helps with detoxing estrogen in the liver.

B Vitamins, especially B1,B2, adequate protein, vitamin E are also involved in estrogen detoxing.
Endotoxin and cortisol block this detoxing system and lowers ability to store glycogen.
I think fixing diet and adding raw carrot salad should improve glycogen storage.

He particularly mentioned vitamin E supplement resolving PMS related problem.
Coffee improves liver function and over all health.

kaybb

I just found out methane blue used as a topical supplement is suppose to help relax the body....I am trying it for insomnia and this jerk thing. Mine are more of a startle ...right before falling asleep, sometimes it's over and over. I'm trying the MB along with taurine and mag.
Haidut has MB.

tired100

Since a month ago i´m suffering heavy jerks in my limps/or whole body just before i´m entering deep sleep. It´s like my body wants me to wake me up and just jerks me awake.

At the moment i can´t sleept at all without sleepmedications (Taking imovane now).

Do you know what would be the cause of this and how to treat it?

I think i know what triggered it. I was very stressed and sleep deprivated before all of this. Lots to do in job and private life. On top of that i was eating garbage, to much caffeine and alcohol on weekends. BUT. I was also taking nicotine (cigarettes and snus) as it gave me more energy for the time being (dont smoke normally) But the nicotine stressed me out and probably was a contributing factor triggering this.

Have quit all the things i´ve mentioned and at the moment iam on sick from work.

Chad_Catholic

Since a month ago i´m suffering heavy jerks in my limps/or whole body just before i´m entering deep sleep. It´s like my body wants me to wake me up and just jerks me awake.

At the moment i can´t sleept at all without sleepmedications (Taking imovane now).

Do you know what would be the cause of this and how to treat it?

I think i know what triggered it. I was very stressed and sleep deprivated before all of this. Lots to do in job and private life. On top of that i was eating garbage, to much caffeine and alcohol on weekends. BUT. I was also taking nicotine (cigarettes and snus) as it gave me more energy for the time being (dont smoke normally) But the nicotine stressed me out and probably was a contributing factor triggering this.

Have quit all the things i´ve mentioned and at the moment iam on sick from work.
Bumping this. I heard mold can also cause this Possible mold exposure - I need to sleep

cs3000

I wonder if hypnic jerks are related to low ferritin levels.

I was thinking this before reading more of the post and OP mentioned having 25ng ferritin. I've had pretty common hypnic jerks for years & connected it to having typically low ferritin <40ng or <30ng , or adrenaline / vitamin D issues.

--
iron / haemoglobin levels in normal range is not good enough by itself if ferritin is low

(iron deficiency without anemia aka. pre-anemia = low ferritin. probably <40ng which is considered borderline deficient in UK. in a lot of places 25ng is considered iron deficient. and it's connected with symptoms e.g increased fatigue alone regardless of normal iron/haemoglobin levels, which lightens when ferritin comes back up). this might be due to all the iron requiring enzymes becoming dysfunctional or something else. i get the feeling hypnic jerks belong here too but idk for sure

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/8/4/e019240.abstract

In IDNA adults, iron supplementation is associated with reduced subjective measures of fatigue but not with objective improvements in physical capacity. Given the global prevalence of both iron deficiency and fatigue, patients and practitioners could consider consumption of iron-rich foods or iron supplementation to improve symptoms of fatigue in the absence of documented anaemia.

Iron Deficiency Without Anemia – Common, Important, Neglected
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...Without-Anemia-Common-Important-Neglected.pdf

Iron deficiency without anaemia: a diagnosis that matters

https://www.rcpjournals.org/content/clinmedicine/21/2/107

Iron deficiency without anemia – a clinical challenge

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5986027/
Iron deficiency may be severe despite a normal hemoglobin and full blood count. Symptoms which may be prolonged and debilitating, should raise a clinical suspicion on iron deficiency even if full blood count is normal. Ferritin (<30 μg/L) is most sensitive and specific indicator of iron deficiency, although its pitfalls need to be taken into consideration.
Patients with the restless leg syndrome should be considered iron deficient when their ferritin concentration is <75 μg/L

https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2000/0701/p108.html
Recent studies have shown that decreased iron stores (indicated by serum ferritin levels below 50 ng per mL [50 μg per L] can exacerbate RLS symptoms.

--
i don't see studies on hypnic jerks but this might be something worth looking into if ferritin is low. the oral iron i've tolerated well is iron protein succinylate which is shown to be a lot more effective than other forms with less issues.

Last edited: