Hypervitaminosis A

OP
F

Franz

What does "highly unsaturated" mean here? I only know it in the context of fats.

And besides, supplementing with thyroid is not something everyone is willing to do.

What would you consider to be a safe amount vitamin A when thyroid is not supplemented?

J

j.

Franz said:
What would you consider to be a safe amount vitamin A when thyroid is not supplemented?

There are people who don't supplement that have very high metabolism, I think you might find them in countries where coconut oil is the main cooking oil. Vitamin A requirements might change drastically from person to person, depending on their sun exposure and other factors. I think it's a matter of trying out different quantities, considering how you feel, looking if your calluses turn orange and things like that.

OP
F

Franz

j. said:
Franz said:

There are people who don't supplement that have very high metabolism, I think you might find them in countries where coconut oil is the main cooking oil. Vitamin A requirements might change drastically from person to person, depending on their sun exposure and other factors. I think it's a matter of trying out different quantities, considering how you feel, looking if your calluses turn orange and things like that.

Hmm, I suppose. Though, at the moment I think eating liver 2-4 times a month and supplementing 2500-10000 IU in the months one gets more sun exposure are good general guidelines for people who don't supplement thyroid and want to supplement safely. Maybe supplement in the winter months too if vitamin D is supplemented then.

trying to establish safe guidelines for myself and people interested in my advice :).

Gabriel

Chronic hypervitaminosis A is induced after daily doses of 2 mg retinol/kg in oil-based preparations for many months or years. In contrast, doses as low as 0.2 mg retinol. kg(-1). d(-1) in water-miscible, emulsified, and solid preparations for only a few weeks caused chronic hypervitaminosis A. Thus, water-miscible, emulsified, and solid preparations of retinol are approximately 10 times as toxic as are oil-based retinol preparations. The safe upper single dose of retinol in oil or liver seems to be approximately 4-6 mg/kg body wt. These thresholds do not vary considerably with age.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14668278

4peatssake

Jenn said:
I don't supplement. I do use coconut oil as my primary source of fat.
Jenn, can you clarify what you mean when you say, "I don't supplement."
I know you use aspirin and cynomel which some people equate to supplementation so I'm just trying to understand exactly what you mean. I think you also take espom salt and baking soda in gelatin capsules? And niacinamide? I'm not sure about Progest E but maybe at one time?

Anyhoo, if you could clarify, that would be great! Thank you!

4peatssake

Jenn said:
I don't supplement vit A. That was the topic wasn't it?
I don't eat liver either....though I did find a yummy looking recipe for curried liver today.
Ah OK. :doh
I thought I saw you say this same sentence on another thread and so it threw me off. Me comprehend now. :lol:

Jenn

LOL. I probably did, about vit K. Me, I started with food first, well eliminating that which I wasn't digesting. Then I got brave with adding sugar. Then coffee. Aspirin was next. Pregnenelone, cynomel, progest E, niacinimade, didn't come until much later.

Oh, except for epsom salts, that was in the first week. I am embarrassed to say, I didn't know pooping (or not) mattered.