Low Toxin Logs Hypervitaminosis A — A Case Study Of Myself

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

There are some main points I have learned from the protocol. It may not be correct, but at least the way I internalized it in my framework of thinking on this matter.

The importance of bile flow / fiber / bowel movements.
Retinol is broken down by the liver and then released into bile acids. Those bile acids need to be bound by fiber in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent re-absorption in the lower fractions of the intestine, which not only contains retinol but other waste products as well. Ray promotes cooked mushrooms or the raw carrot salad to bind estrogen, which is also excreted by liver into the bile. Without good transit time and without sufficient fiber you can re-absorb the things your liver wants to get rid off.

Garrett Smith promotes fiber for that reason and activated charcoal in some instances.
He also thinks that having regular bowel movements (minimum 1 per day, better 2 per day and optimal after each big meal) is of primary importance for detoxification in general.

Apple

There are some main points I have learned from the protocol. It may not be correct, but at least the way I internalized it in my framework of thinking on this matter.

Retinol is broken down by the liver and then released into bile acids. Those bile acids need to be bound by fiber in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent re-absorption in the lower fractions of the intestine, which not only contains retinol but other waste products as well. Ray promotes cooked mushrooms or the raw carrot salad to bind estrogen, which is also excreted by liver into the bile. Without good transit time and without sufficient fiber you can re-absorb the things your liver wants to get rid off.

Garrett Smith promotes fiber for that reason and activated charcoal in some instances.
He also thinks that having regular bowel movements (minimum 1 per day, better 2 per day and optimal after each big meal) is of primary importance for detoxification in general.
Good point about fiber.
Remember Ggenereux eats lots brown rice, rice bran is very good in binding bile acids.
The relative in vitro bile acid binding of the cereal brans on an equal TDF basis considering cholestyramine as 100% bound was rice bran 51%, wheat bran 31%, oat bran 26%, and corn bran 5%.
Maybe that's why people fail on RP diet ... carrot is not very good in binding bile acids unless steamed/cooked

attached "In Vitro Bile Acid Binding of Various Vegetables"

Attachments

• In Vitro Bile Acid Binding of Various Vegetables.pdf
    586.7 KB · Views: 45

Rock_V

Don't know if any of you guys saw my post on calcium and it's effect on bile: Calcium in milk products precipitates intestinal fatty acids and secondary bile acids and thus inhibits colonic cytotoxicity in humans

Dietary calcium may reduce the risk of colon cancer, probably by precipitating cytotoxic surfactants, such as secondary bile acids, in the colonic lumen. We previously showed that milk mineral, an important source of calcium, decreases metabolic risk factors and colonic proliferation in rats. We now report the effects of the habitual intake of milk calcium on metabolic risk factors in healthy subjects. A double-blind, cross-over metabolic study was performed in 13 healthy males. Placebo milk products (calcium, 3 mM) were compared with regular milk products (calcium, 30 mm). In each 1-week period, the habitual diet was recorded, and urine and feces were collected for 1 and 3 days, respectively. Milk calcium significantly increased fecal pH and fecal excretion of phosphate (132%), total fat (139%), free fatty acids (195%), and bile acids (141%), indicating intestinal complexation. In fecal water, the concentrations of long-chain fatty acids, secondary bile acids (deoxycholic and lithocholic acid), neutral sterols, and phospholipids were about halved (P <0.05). Consistent with these changes in soluble hydrophobic surfactants, calcium decreased the cytotoxicity of fecal water from 68 +/- 9 to 28 +/- 12% (P < 0.005). Calcium in milk products precipitates luminal cytotoxic surfactants and thus inhibits colonic cytotoxicity. Therefore, habitual dietary calcium may contribute to a nutritional modulation of colon cancer risk.

This may be better than high fiber diets which could cause gut irritation.

Dr. B

Good point about fiber.
Remember Ggenereux eats lots brown rice, rice bran is very good in binding bile acids.
The relative in vitro bile acid binding of the cereal brans on an equal TDF basis considering cholestyramine as 100% bound was rice bran 51%, wheat bran 31%, oat bran 26%, and corn bran 5%.
Maybe that's why people fail on RP diet ... carrot is not very good in binding bile acids unless steamed/cooked

attached "In Vitro Bile Acid Binding of Various Vegetables"
doesnt taurine increase bile acids, so its dangerous to use?

taurine?

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

doesnt taurine increase bile acids, so its dangerous to use?

taurine?
Thought about this as well — I think it could potentially help, but it probably can create some intense detoxification reactions acutely. I felt good on taurine, a year ago, but it causes weird reactions the last times I tried it in the last months.

Maybe work on fiber first and having 1-3 good solid bowel movements per day and then potentially add it in.

Garrett says this process is a marathon, not a sprint and I finally come to accept it, even though I‘d like to fix it very quickly.

Dr. B

Thought about this as well — I think it could potentially help, but it probably can create some intense detoxification reactions acutely. I felt good on taurine, a year ago, but it causes weird reactions the last times I tried it in the last months.

Maybe work on fiber first and having 1-3 good solid bowel movements per day and then potentially add it in.

Garrett says this process is a marathon, not a sprint and I finally come to accept it, even though I‘d like to fix it very quickly.
but if you want to bind the bile acids up doesnt taurine increase those thus have a negative effect

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

but if you want to bind the bile acids up doesnt taurine increase those thus have a negative effect
You need bile acids to get vitamin A and other toxins and waste products out of your liver and ultimately out of your body so it‘s not inherently bad. But if the bile gets re-absorbed, it momentarily recirculates to your liver and you may feel a surge of vitamin A in your blood that‘s giving you bad symptoms. I think this is also the case with heavy metal toxicity - dumping of mercury or copper can feel very intense.

I think Garett thinks that proper bile acid regulation and binding is also essential for dealing with other toxicities.

GermanTruther

Yes, sorry in that comment i meant If i was in his place i would eat that :)) i don't eat this, i eat high dairy diet in fact, milk,cheese ,beef, chocolate,jam,coffee,occasional eggs,honey.
In the last three years on average i ate like this,i think calcium and vitamin D are the main things for bone health.
What about sweet potatoes and do you eat your animal products raw?

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Yes, sorry in that comment i meant If i was in his place i would eat that :)) i don't eat this, i eat high dairy diet in fact, milk,cheese ,beef, chocolate,jam,coffee,occasional eggs,honey.
In the last three years on average i ate like this,i think calcium and vitamin D are the main things for bone health.
Do you still eat relatively low fat or was that just a periodic thing to semi-deplete PUFAs?

Apple

Don't know if any of you guys saw my post on calcium and it's effect on bile: Calcium in milk products precipitates intestinal fatty acids and secondary bile acids and thus inhibits colonic cytotoxicity in humans

Dietary calcium may reduce the risk of colon cancer, probably by precipitating cytotoxic surfactants, such as secondary bile acids, in the colonic lumen. We previously showed that milk mineral, an important source of calcium, decreases metabolic risk factors and colonic proliferation in rats. We now report the effects of the habitual intake of milk calcium on metabolic risk factors in healthy subjects. A double-blind, cross-over metabolic study was performed in 13 healthy males. Placebo milk products (calcium, 3 mM) were compared with regular milk products (calcium, 30 mm). In each 1-week period, the habitual diet was recorded, and urine and feces were collected for 1 and 3 days, respectively. Milk calcium significantly increased fecal pH and fecal excretion of phosphate (132%), total fat (139%), free fatty acids (195%), and bile acids (141%), indicating intestinal complexation. In fecal water, the concentrations of long-chain fatty acids, secondary bile acids (deoxycholic and lithocholic acid), neutral sterols, and phospholipids were about halved (P <0.05). Consistent with these changes in soluble hydrophobic surfactants, calcium decreased the cytotoxicity of fecal water from 68 +/- 9 to 28 +/- 12% (P < 0.005). Calcium in milk products precipitates luminal cytotoxic surfactants and thus inhibits colonic cytotoxicity. Therefore, habitual dietary calcium may contribute to a nutritional modulation of colon cancer risk.

This may be better than high fiber diets which could cause gut irritation.
Lactose causes gut irritation (very severe in some cases).
Casein (or casomorphins) causes constipation.
Or...it is just toxin - vit A problem .

Vileplume

Man, I’d love to poop twice a day. As far back is I can remember, like 13 years ago, I’ve never been able to get past one PPD (poop per day).

Ippodrom47

I'll be closely following my low vitamin a diet which should bring out some vitamin A in serum over the next week.
Hi! Do I understand correctly that restricting vitamin A causes the liver to start using the stored supply and thus increases serum retinol levels?
I had vit A toxicity primarily from beef/chicken/cod liver a couple years ago and never fully recovered as I stupidly added lots of carrot and high-carotene foods after ditching high-retinol ones. I did a serum retinol blood test today, which should be ready within a week.
My symptoms, apart from vertigo, fatigue, extremely dry eyes and skin, also included anxiety, insomnia, low WBC, and interstitial cystitis along with bowel inflammation. Most of those persist.

aliml

You need bile acids to get vitamin A and other toxins and waste products out of your liver and ultimately out of your body so it‘s not inherently bad. But if the bile gets re-absorbed, it momentarily recirculates to your liver and you may feel a surge of vitamin A in your blood that‘s giving you bad symptoms. I think this is also the case with heavy metal toxicity - dumping of mercury or copper can feel very intense.

I think Garett thinks that proper bile acid regulation and binding is also essential for dealing with other toxicities.
Karen Hurd - "Beans are a bile magnet. Bile and beans have an incredible affinity or liking for one another. They make a sort of chemical bond that is almost impossible to break. Most of the other foods with which bile binds in the intestinal tract are foods with which the bile makes temporary bonds. But when the bean enters, the bile leaves all other foods behind and rushes to make a permanent bond with the bean.

Now you must know something else about bile. This digestive fluid that the liver makes is released into the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine). It travels to the last part of the small intestine, doing its digestive work, and when it reaches the terminal part of the ileum, bile is reabsorbed and returns to the liver! How much bile returns? Ninety to ninety-five percent!

Please understand that bile is the trash truck for the liver. The liver cleans the blood stream of fat soluble waste and deposits it in the bile. Hopefully the bile will make it past the terminal part of the ileum, get into the large intestine and make its way on out into the toilet. However, that is not what is happening in the normal American’s digestive tract. The bile returns to the liver with its garbage in tow!

Unless the bile meets up with the mighty bean.

The soluble fiber in a bean binds tightly with the bile. Interestingly, soluble fiber has a very unique characteristic. It cannot cross the intestinal barrier anywhere. Period.

So if the bile is bound to the soluble fiber in a bond that cannot be broken, when the bile tries to reabsorb and return to the liver, it will find that it cannot, because the soluble fiber will not allow that passage. Therefore, the bile with all of its toxic liver trash will be tossed into the toilet in the form of a bowel movement.

What if the bile is not tossed into the toilet? What happens then? When it returns to the liver, full of trash, the liver is waiting with more trash. The liver is constantly filtering the blood stream. Just because the bile is running around in the gastro-intestinal tract doesn’t mean the liver stops filtering blood. So the returning bile is loaded down with more toxic waste as it passes through the liver again. So the cycle goes, until the recycling bile is so loaded down with garbage that it can no longer do an efficient job in digesting the foods in the intestinal tract. Instead of digesting the foods, the bile ferments the foods. Fermentation always causes gas. Now we have a problem with flatulence."

OP
youngsinatra

youngsinatra

Karen Hurd - "Beans are a bile magnet. Bile and beans have an incredible affinity or liking for one another. They make a sort of chemical bond that is almost impossible to break. Most of the other foods with which bile binds in the intestinal tract are foods with which the bile makes temporary bonds. But when the bean enters, the bile leaves all other foods behind and rushes to make a permanent bond with the bean.

Now you must know something else about bile. This digestive fluid that the liver makes is released into the duodenum (the first part of the small intestine). It travels to the last part of the small intestine, doing its digestive work, and when it reaches the terminal part of the ileum, bile is reabsorbed and returns to the liver! How much bile returns? Ninety to ninety-five percent!

Please understand that bile is the trash truck for the liver. The liver cleans the blood stream of fat soluble waste and deposits it in the bile. Hopefully the bile will make it past the terminal part of the ileum, get into the large intestine and make its way on out into the toilet. However, that is not what is happening in the normal American’s digestive tract. The bile returns to the liver with its garbage in tow!

Unless the bile meets up with the mighty bean.

The soluble fiber in a bean binds tightly with the bile. Interestingly, soluble fiber has a very unique characteristic. It cannot cross the intestinal barrier anywhere. Period.

So if the bile is bound to the soluble fiber in a bond that cannot be broken, when the bile tries to reabsorb and return to the liver, it will find that it cannot, because the soluble fiber will not allow that passage. Therefore, the bile with all of its toxic liver trash will be tossed into the toilet in the form of a bowel movement.

What if the bile is not tossed into the toilet? What happens then? When it returns to the liver, full of trash, the liver is waiting with more trash. The liver is constantly filtering the blood stream. Just because the bile is running around in the gastro-intestinal tract doesn’t mean the liver stops filtering blood. So the returning bile is loaded down with more toxic waste as it passes through the liver again. So the cycle goes, until the recycling bile is so loaded down with garbage that it can no longer do an efficient job in digesting the foods in the intestinal tract. Instead of digesting the foods, the bile ferments the foods. Fermentation always causes gas. Now we have a problem with flatulence."

Good post!

That explains why Grant Generoux eats beans daily. I actually tried the rice-blackbeans-beef mix the last 2-3 weeks, it tastes really good for sure and I haven‘t observed digestive upset, which even suprised me, with my history of severe food intolerance and IBS-D.

Last edited:

Vinero

Soluble fiber might not be harmless.
If you start feeling bad, consider eating insoluble fiber instead.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals