Hyperreactive gut - milk only diet?

Milklove

Hello everyone,
I have just been reading in this forum for a long time and already incoporated a lot of Peats suggestions in my diet and lifestyle, but I need your help now.

I always felt really tired and depressed, but that has already improved to a great extent. T
he problem is I seem to have a hyperreactive gut. Of all the allowed Peat-foods I only tolerate milk, sugar and refined coconut oil. Fruits, coffee, citric acid in sodas and potatoes give me slight stomach ache and I disorientated, weak and really tired.
I also tried aspirin and niacinamide, but those made it only worse..

Should I go on an milk only diet to heal my gut?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Are you doing the carrot salad daily? That might help heal your gut up faster. Also have you tried bone broths(cow feet, chicken feet/necks etc) for the gelatin? The gelatin is super healing for the gut. How about thyroid have you dabbled with that any? The lower our metabolism the more food allergies we have.

Milk is a pretty good base so don't get too upset over that. :)

OP
Milklove

Milklove

Thanks for the quick reply, Charlie.
I already tried the carrot salad. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes it makes things only worse. I also tried every source of gelatin without luck.

I will try some thyroid supplementation.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think consistency is key with carrot salad. However what works for some doesn't work for others.

OP
Milklove

Milklove

Should I eat plain carrots? Or do you know a substitute for the vinegar and orange juice?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Milklove said:
Should I eat plain carrots? Or do you know a substitute for the vinegar and orange juice?
Vinegar isn't a must. Coconut oil and carrot should work pretty good. Milk has some of the same things as orange juice. I have dropped orange juice for now.

OP
Milklove

Milklove

I have a lot of activated charcoal at home. Would this also help healing my gut?
And wouldn't I miss some Vitamins with only Milk, Cheese and sometimes shellish and liver?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Milklove said:
I have a lot of activated charcoal at home. Would this also help healing my gut?
And wouldn't I miss some Vitamins with only Milk, Cheese and sometimes shellish and liver?
Depending on how "clean" the charcoal is, that could be a source of problems to. I use charcoal a couple times a week at most. It will definitely help by taking a burden off the liver.

A good way to know if you are missing any nutrients is to start tracking them in something like cronometer. Vitamin K will most likely be low.

OP
Milklove

Milklove

I just did a carrot salad with some coconut oil and milk. Now I feel really tired. Could tjat be an allergic reaction or the downregulation of my stress hormones?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Carrot salad has been known to lower blood sugar. So I always have a little bit of Mexican Coke with it.

OP
Milklove

Milklove

Wow. I didn't know that.
So I will have some plain sugar with it (can't tolerate Mexi Coke).

Mittir

Milklove said:
Hello everyone,
I have just been reading in this forum for a long time and already incoporated a lot of Peats suggestions in my diet and lifestyle, but I need your help now.

I always felt really tired and depressed, but that has already improved to a great extent. T
he problem is I seem to have a hyperreactive gut. Of all the allowed Peat-foods I only tolerate milk, sugar and refined coconut oil. Fruits, coffee, citric acid in sodas and potatoes give me slight stomach ache and I disorientated, weak and really tired.
I also tried aspirin and niacinamide, but those made it only worse..

Should I go on an milk only diet to heal my gut?

Some people complain about problem with Aspirin. I got lot of benefits
from using Niacinamide 100 mg twice a day with food. I use GNC niacinamide.
May be the excipients in niacinamide causing problem for some.
If you can digest a large amount of dairy products then you can get away with avoiding
fruits,coffee, acid and potatoes. Dairy and fruits can be an ideal diet.
But it is not easy to find good quality well ripened fruits. I am on a milk
based diet now with good results. RP often cites a study of fat free diet of William Brown.
I have been following a similar diet with whole milk and lot of honey,sugar and
coconut oil. Raw carrot salad has been very beneficial.
I drink 1 quart regular milk, 1 quart of milk reduced to 1-2 cups and
farmer's cheese from 1 quart of milk. I daily eat 1-1.5 oz liver to compensate
for vitamins and minerals. I use a lot of instant coffee for
anti-oxidant, magnesium, potassium and niacin.
I think you can make a good diet based on dairy. Just make sure
you are getting all your required nutrients using cronometer.
Here is a description of William Brown's diet and his health benefits.

In 1936, a man in Burr's lab, William Brown, agreed to eat a similar diet for six months, to see whether the "essential fatty acid deficiency" affected humans as it did rats.
The diet was very similar to the rats', with a large part of the daily 2500 calories being provided at hourly intervals during the day by sugar syrup (flavored with citric acid and anise oil), protein from 4 quarts of special fat-free skimmed milk, a quart of which was made into cottage cheese, the juice of half an orange, and a "biscuit" made with potato starch, baking powder, mineral oil, and salt, with iron, viosterol (vitamin D), and carotene supplemented.
Brown had suffered from weekly migraine headaches since childhood, and his blood pressure was a little high when he began the diet. After six weeks on the diet, his migraines stopped, and never returned. His plasma inorganic phosphorus declined slightly during the experiment (3.43 mg./100 cc. of plasma and 2.64 on the diet, and after six months on a normal diet 4.2 mg.%), and his total serum proteins increased from 6.98 gm.% to 8.06 gm.% on the experimental diet. His leucocyte count was lower on the high sugar diet, but he didn't experience colds or other sickness. On a normal diet, his systolic blood pressure varied from 140 to 150 mm. of mercury, the diastolic, 95 to 100. After a few months on the sugar and milk diet, his blood pressure had lowered to about 130 over 85 to 88. Several months after he returned to a normal diet, his blood pressure rose to the previous level.
On a normal diet, his weight was 152 pounds, and his metabolic rate was from 9% to 12% below normal, but after six months on the diet it had increased to 2% below normal. After three months on the sugar and milk diet, his weight leveled off at 138 pounds. After being on the diet, when he ate 2000 calories of sugar and milk within two hours, his respiratory quotient would exceed 1.0, but on his normal diet his maximum respiratory quotient following those foods was less than 1.0.
The effect of diabetes is to keep the respiratory quotient low, since a respiratory quotient of one corresponds to the oxidation of pure carbohydrate, and extreme diabetics oxidize fat in preference to carbohydrate, and may have a quotient just a little above 0.7. The results of Brown's and Burr's experiments could be interpreted to mean that the polyunsaturated fats not only lower the metabolic rate, but especially interfere with the metabolism of sugars. In other words, they suggest that the normal diet is diabetogenic.
During the six months of the experiment, the unsaturation of Brown's serum lipids decreased. The authors reported that "There was no essential change in the serum cholesterol as a result of the change in diet." However, in November and December, two months before the experiment began, it had been 252 mg.% in two measurements. At the beginning of the test, it was 298, two weeks later, 228, and four months later, 206 mg%. The total quantity of lipids in his blood didn't seem to change much, since the triglycerides increased as the cholesterol decreased. By the time of Brown's experiment, other researchers had demonstrated that the cholesterol level was increased in hypothyroidism, and decreased as thyroid function, and oxygen consumption, increased. If Burr's team had been reading the medical literature, they would have understood the relation between Brown's increased metabolic rate and decreased cholesterol level. But they did record the facts, which is valuable.
The authors wrote that "The most interesting subjective effect of the 'fat-free' regimen was the definite disappearance of a feeling of fatigue at the end of the day's work."

OP
Milklove

Milklove

Hello again,
I finally got rid of my food allergies and would like to share with you how I did it. I experimented with niacinamide for a while, but somehow it made things only worse and I developed an milk intolerance for a while. (I used niacinamide from pure bulk...I assume it is pretty pure)

Well, although I had bad experiences with Aspirin, I started experimenting with it again. This time I made sure to always dissolve the aspirin in hot water and to take it with a meal. I started with a dose of 50 mg and started building up from there.

After about two weeks I realized that the citric acid in gummy bears didn't bother me anymore. I always gave me a weird feeling in my stomach, but not anymore. So I tried orange juice and it was suddenly okay.

Repeated use of aspirin protects the stomach against very strong irritants. - Ray Peat