Hyperpigmentation

dookie

They say (the inter-webs) that hyperpigmentation, with dark tan patches around the sides of the eyes, is a sign of Addison's disease, caused by the elevated ACTH.

I've seen some suggestions here by @haidut saying that the hyperpigmentation and excessively tan skin in general can be caused by estrogen.

When a man experiences this, what should he do? Any one had this thing and successfully treated it (with what)?

I'm sure it has to do with some steroid imbalance...

OP
D

dookie

@theLaw

So you are basically saying that things which reduce estrogen, will reduce hyperpigmentation?

Anyone have experience with cortisol (either topical or oral) for skin issues?

theLaw

Asking a question you already answered yourself in your first post, and asking about actively increasing cortisol..........................sounds legit.:banghead:

Think you might be on the wrong forum.

Kyle Bigman

Any follow-up from why you had this? I have it too. I thought it might be due to excess ACTH, either from chronic stress, or potentially from Cushing or Addison's disease.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any follow-up from why you had this? I have it too. I thought it might be due to excess ACTH, either from chronic stress, or potentially from Cushing or Addison's disease.

That would have been my first guess - high ACTH and/or estrogen, as they do go hand in hand. I have also seen it develop rather quickly, almost overnight, in people after running marathons. So, PUFA oxidation, excess iron, etc probably also play role but I still think the ACTH/estrogen/prolactin angle needs to be investigated first.

Kyle Bigman

Here are my results over a series of tests on different days. As you can see, cortisol is consistently elevated. First and third results were within "normal" range but on the upper end.

Taken at 11am: Cortisol: 468.5 nmol/l. ACTH: 24.8 pg/mL

Taken at 1 pm: Cortisol: 483.2 nmol/l. [likely abnormal for 1pm]

Taken at 4 pm: Cortisol: 243.8 nmol/l. ACTH: 15.4 pg/mL

I thought cortisol was supposed to fall consistently after the early morning hours. Why would mine remain high until the mid-afternoon? My last test finally fell but at 4pm that is still quite a high level, in my opinion.

Prolactin and LH were normal. Nothing really to note there, they were on the lower end. I have hyperpigmentation of really pink areas on my elbows, knuckles, and knees.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Here are my results over a series of tests on different days. As you can see, cortisol is consistently elevated. First and third results were within "normal" range but on the upper end.

Taken at 11am: Cortisol: 468.5 nmol/l. ACTH: 24.8 pg/mL

Taken at 1 pm: Cortisol: 483.2 nmol/l. [likely abnormal for 1pm]

Taken at 4 pm: Cortisol: 243.8 nmol/l. ACTH: 15.4 pg/mL

I thought cortisol was supposed to fall consistently after the early morning hours. Why would mine remain high until the mid-afternoon? My last test finally fell but at 4pm that is still quite a high level, in my opinion.

Prolactin and LH were normal. Nothing really to note there, they were on the lower end. I have hyperpigmentation of really pink areas on my elbows, knuckles, and knees.
Do you have a stressful job or have anticipation stress/anxiety?

Kyle Bigman

I don't have a stressful job. I'm not sure if I have some chronic, underlying anxiety that is causing this. It's not like there are acute stressors that I am aware of. Maybe it is insidious stress.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I don't have a stressful job. I'm not sure if I have some chronic, underlying anxiety that is causing this. It's not like there are acute stressors that I am aware of. Maybe it is insidious stress.
Did you have a meal before you 1pm measure?

Kyle Bigman

That would have been my first guess - high ACTH and/or estrogen, as they do go hand in hand. I have also seen it develop rather quickly, almost overnight, in people after running marathons. So, PUFA oxidation, excess iron, etc probably also play role but I still think the ACTH/estrogen/prolactin angle needs to be investigated first.
@haidut my total estrogen levels were 97 pg/mL. Can you help me interpret this figure? I am also at really low Ceruloplasmin (15.8 ug/dl) and my urine copper 24 hours was less than 1 ug. Which is crazy low (normal is like 20-50)....I know cortisol can reduce ceruloplasmin so I'm thinking that maybe all this hyperpigmentation is due to cortisol (and maybe estrogen). Can you or anyone help me to interpret these values? Thanks!

YamnayaMommy

I get this—tan patches at the sides of my eyes— after every pregnancy. It has improved a bit, 8 months out now. I’m nursing so presumably my prolactin levels are high.

I’m hoping it goes away after I’m done nursing.

samborn

Hi All,

First post. I had some subcision and laser treatment for acne scars yesterday. One of the recommendations was to stay out of the sun becaause my skin type (south asian) would be prone to hyperpigmentation following the treatment.

At home, I thought applying some red light therapy would assist with the healing. Unfortunately it seemed to give me hyperpigmentation.

What might be the best things I can do to reverse/treat the hyperpigmentation?

I've seen the following idealabs products mentioned - pansterone, progesterone, gonadin, solban, melanon, estroban in regards to hyperpigmentation. I have this aforementioned products. Will they assist with this issue?

What else could/might?

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. @haidut

samborn

Hi All, appreciate I’m completely new around here, and this is an old thread but any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks : )

samborn

Hi All,

First post. I had some subcision and laser treatment for acne scars yesterday. One of the recommendations was to stay out of the sun becaause my skin type (south asian) would be prone to hyperpigmentation following the treatment.

At home, I thought applying some red light therapy would assist with the healing. Unfortunately it seemed to give me hyperpigmentation.

What might be the best things I can do to reverse/treat the hyperpigmentation?

I've seen the following idealabs products mentioned - pansterone, progesterone, gonadin, solban, melanon, estroban in regards to hyperpigmentation. I have this aforementioned products. Will they assist with this issue?

What else could/might?

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. @haidut

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals