Hyperkalemia? Chronic Chest Pains Likely Caused By Too Much Potassium

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Are you eating coconut oil? What are your fat sources? Are you taking any supplements?

Yes. For cooking I use coconut oil, and butter for potatoes, but I avoid heating the butter too much, as it's more unstable than coconut oil

I don't know where Peat got the figure that it's 50% PUFA. I may be mistaken though, as he might have meant 50% unsaturated which would include the mono. I don't remember the quote properly.

My fat source is mainly dairy, butter, coconut oil. I avoid added oils as fat sources mostly. I eat really lean ground beef, mostly because of the high zinc content of this specific cut (here in Brazil, Acem, which has 8,1mg of zinc per 100mg).

I only supplement magnesium. If you consider aspirin a supplement, then I do take that on occasion, about 125mg three times a week.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Too much fruit is not natural imo, too much fiber, too much sugar.

Just eat a couple days of meat/eggs potatoes/rice as main dishes, some milk and a banana or two you'll feel better.

You're creating stress because you're too worried about food.
Yeah, OJ has really low fructose actually, so even a quart doesn't give much. I ate 35g today and had no liver pain.

Peat thinks really strongly and starch, I remember a quote on potatoes even being potentially "diabetogenic" (his words, not mine) due to the insulin response. That's why when possible I eat sweet potatoes, pumpkins, etc. I know we shouldn't stress about everything, I feel into that trap before and become a pretty chill dude after learning my lesson. I can't find any issues with starch, but I was never able to find these high level studies that haidut and Peat can. My main parameter is the forum, other trustworthy scientists (like Morley Robbins, etc) and my own physiological knowledge. In that sense, starch doesn't seem that good. I cant see how Peat would follow a higher carb diet with under 50-60g of fructose, being that he himself says it's preferable to have glucose+ fructose. I unfortunately am also having a hard time sourcing dairy, so lactose isn't an option.

I eat little less than a pound of potatoes, around 4oz of lean beef and cheese (gelatinous cuts are to fatty, and I try to follow a lowish fat diet). plus one to two eggs cooked in coconut oil to offset PUFA. For sugars it's 5-6 bananas (I can't give a **** about serotonin at this point) and a pint of orange juice, plus the occasional mangos/grapes/guavas.

Plus, I have been thinking, tropical fruits are characterized by their higher fructose, so again, it wouldn't make sense that a high amount of fructose would be an issue. How can these fruitarians not have liver issue? I am certain it should be fats, but my PUFA is under 3-4g, so I really don't know.

ExCarniv

Nothing wrong with Starch unless you are extremely sick post menopausal woman or obese person.

You are a young underweight man, don't worry about details, you need energy that comes from Starch:rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc and protein that comes from animal foods.

Yeah, OJ has really low fructose actually, so even a quart doesn't give much. I ate 35g today and had no liver pain.

Peat thinks really strongly and starch, I remember a quote on potatoes even being potentially "diabetogenic" (his words, not mine) due to the insulin response. That's why when possible I eat sweet potatoes, pumpkins, etc. I know we shouldn't stress about everything, I feel into that trap before and become a pretty chill dude after learning my lesson. I can't find any issues with starch, but I was never able to find these high level studies that haidut and Peat can. My main parameter is the forum, other trustworthy scientists (like Morley Robbins, etc) and my own physiological knowledge. In that sense, starch doesn't seem that good. I cant see how Peat would follow a higher carb diet with under 50-60g of fructose, being that he himself says it's preferable to have glucose+ fructose. I unfortunately am also having a hard time sourcing dairy, so lactose isn't an option.

I eat little less than a pound of potatoes, around 4oz of lean beef and cheese (gelatinous cuts are to fatty, and I try to follow a lowish fat diet). plus one to two eggs cooked in coconut oil to offset PUFA. For sugars it's 5-6 bananas (I can't give a **** about serotonin at this point) and a pint of orange juice, plus the occasional mangos/grapes/guavas.

Plus, I have been thinking, tropical fruits are characterized by their higher fructose, so again, it wouldn't make sense that a high amount of fructose would be an issue. How can these fruitarians not have liver issue? I am certain it should be fats, but my PUFA is under 3-4g, so I really don't know.

How much Meat do you eat a day? Also i would advise against direct sugar eating strongly.The Pains can actually come from beginning neuropathy
through B-Deficiency.Maybe try out a higher dosed B-complex,it cant hurt much,but a deficiency is doing irreparable damage.

Have you tried niacinamide, @_lppaiva? 100 mg a few times daily is what Ray recommends, and it may help your liver.

Are you drinking coffee or taking caffeine? Both are good for the liver.

Haidut posted some nice studies on inosine. This chemical is not only very beneficial for the liver, but for the heart as well.

Have you tried taking b- vitamins right after eating some liver? There are compounds in liver that act as co- factors for better utilization of b- vitamins.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Have you tried niacinamide, @_lppaiva? 100 mg a few times daily is what Ray recommends, and it may help your liver.

I can't buy supplements. I only use magnesium because it's an absolute must that got me off benzodiazepine.

Are you drinking coffee or taking caffeine? Both are good for the liver.

I have been increasing coffee intake, my main issue is the sugar that I need to put in it to be able to take it. 5 cups (around peats recommendation) would be impractical, as that would probably be around 100-150g of sugar for me (I put around 20-30g per cup) only for the coffee.

I always had a doubt though, that if consumed with or close to a meal, it doesn't need sugar right? Or am so mistaken?

My guess is trying out redbull. It has both the Niacinamide, Taurine and caffine.

Haidut posted some nice studies on inosine. This chemical is not only very beneficial for the liver, but for the heart as well.

Never heard of it, gonna check it out, thanks. Is it a compound of coffee?

Have you tried taking b- vitamins right after eating some liver? There are compounds in liver that act as co- factors for better utilization of b- vitamins

Well, my best bet then is eating liver with redbull. Caffeine will inhibit iron but does not inhibit copper, B vitamins of Liver+redbull that, as you said, might help with utilization. Not sure if Caffeine inhibits them in anyway though.

Anyway thanks

ExCarniv

If you need to put 30g of sugar to a cup of coffee to be able to pass it thru because you don't like it, no point of drinking it in the first place.

You need to enjoy every food you take.

If I don't crave something or sounds disgusting to eat/drink I avoid it like a plague.

If you need to put 30g of sugar to a cup of coffee to be able to pass it thru because you don't like it, no point of drinking it in the first place.

You need to enjoy every food you take.

If I don't crave something or sounds disgusting to eat/drink I avoid it like a plague.

Curious about that too.why so much Sugar? is it for taste?if your meals you take the coffee concomitantly with have Carbohydrate,then you dont have to sweeting it so darn much.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Update: Began following a "normalish" diet again for the last 3 days. Morning oatmeal with skim milk, and two eggs fried in coconut oil. Beans and legumes, rice, etc Lots of meat for protein and choline, fructose under 20-30g a day (sorry, I am still sugaring my coffee lol). About 2 cups of coffee and 2 cups of green tea a day.

Liver pain, gone, cold hands and feet, gone, mental clarity and blood sugar control with 3 big meals and 2 snacks, all around 2400-3000kcal. Everything seems great right? Expect I cannot sleep for the life in me (it's currently 4am and I feel like I could run a marathon) and I am urinating more than a 60 year old man with kidney failure. My guess is all the "good" part is coming from high adrenaline and cortisol. Since I never followed a low carb diet or fasted much, my body is still "resilient" to stress, so it's like I am in that "feel good" beginning of the "low carb" diet. That plus some endotoxin.

Except, I ate over 300g of carbs, upped the protein to support my liver better (150-160g) and am keeping my fats under 50g, so it's not low carb by any means. Plus, my digestion seems flawless, which is a surprise because I had cut out beans exactly because I got digestive issues. Now I can eat like half a pound a day and not feel it.

PUFA is still relativity low (went from 4g a day to 6-7g, +25g of SFA).

I tried drinking some milk with sugar and salt, that usually knocks me out, but it didn't work.

Last edited:
OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Curious about that too.why so much Sugar? is it for taste?

I put enough sugar until it is not bitter. Perhaps I am doing coffee wrong, but I am not the one preparing it so perhaps it stays too bitter because of it. I am now mixing with milk and 15g per 200-250ml. It isn't as good but just enough to avoid bitterness/not be sweet

I never drank coffee without sugar like the ex keto folks okay?! I hate bitterness ,Forgive me lol

Plus, Peat says around 3 tablespoons per 8oz/1 cup of coffee, so I am not so off. 1tbsp is 14g and 1 cup is 224g, so Peat recommends 40g per 220g of coffee. I am actually on the lower side because that seems too much for me.

I drink it mostly because it has a really calming effect for me, which kinda of means I am taking it right I guess. I usually drink it after a meal I don't care about Nutrients, like breakfast.

Drinking coffee in between other foods he says he will add 5 or more tsp of pure white sugar to 8 oz of very dark, "opaque" coffee which he brews himself in a chemex. He will also add half & half and sometimes gelatin.

Another user posted a study which claimed that a single 6 oz cup of coffee will clear 50g of sugar

Last edited:
I can't buy supplements. I only use magnesium because it's an absolute must that got me off benzodiazepine.

I have been increasing coffee intake, my main issue is the sugar that I need to put in it to be able to take it. 5 cups (around peats recommendation) would be impractical, as that would probably be around 100-150g of sugar for me (I put around 20-30g per cup) only for the coffee.
I see.

I always had a doubt though, that if consumed with or close to a meal, it doesn't need sugar right? Or am so mistaken?
If your meal contains a lot of carbs, no, you don't need to use sugar in the coffee, although sucrose can be more effective than starch at controlling the stress response, in my experience.

My guess is trying out redbull. It has both the Niacinamide, Taurine and caffine.
I can be a good option. Just make sure you're not reacting to the colors and flavors that they put in it.

Never heard of it, gonna check it out, thanks. Is it a compound of coffee?
Not that I know.

Well, my best bet then is eating liver with redbull. Caffeine will inhibit iron but does not inhibit copper, B vitamins of Liver+redbull that, as you said, might help with utilization. Not sure if Caffeine inhibits them in anyway though.
Seems like a good idea. I think caffeine just increases the utilization of b- vitamins, it doesn't inhibit their absorption.

Anyway thanks
You're welcome.

Warning:Peat is way off mark in terms of sugar.he was inattentive when he came to the conclusion
to advertise for sugar.Hyperalimentation will wreak your brain like an alcoholic,no kidding.

Update: Began following a "normalish" diet again for the last 3 days. Morning oatmeal with skim milk, and two eggs fried in coconut oil. Beans and legumes, rice, etc Lots of meat for protein and choline, fructose under 20-30g a day (sorry, I am still sugaring my coffee lol). About 2 cups of coffee and 2 cups of green tea a day.

Liver pain, gone, cold hands and feet, gone, mental clarity and blood sugar control with 3 big meals and 2 snacks, all around 2400-3000kcal. Everything seems great right? Expect I cannot sleep for the life in me (it's currently 4am and I feel like I could run a marathon) and I am urinating more than a 60 year old man with kidney failure. My guess is all the "good" part is coming from high adrenaline and cortisol. Since I never followed a low carb diet or fasted much, my body is still "resilient" to stress, so it's like I am in that "feel good" beginning of the "low carb" diet. That plus some endotoxin.

Except, I ate over 300g of carbs, upped the protein to support my liver better (150-160g) and am keeping my fats under 50g, so it's not low carb by any means. Plus, my digestion seems flawless, which is a surprise because I had cut out beans exactly because I got digestive issues. Now I can eat like half a pound a day and not feel it.

I tried drinking some milk with sugar and salt, that usually knocks me out, but it didn't work.
When I was drinking green tea, I was noticing the same thing: very excessive urination. My sleep wasn't so good either.

Tea in general has a ton of fluoride, which is probably slowing down your thyroid and making you unable to relax. It's interesting that your hands and feet aren't cold, so perhaps your adrenalin isn't high? The increased urination does seem like less thyroid hormone though.

About the digestion, maybe the green tea is helping to kill some bacteria in your gut, making you tolerate fermentable fibers more easily.

Warning:Peat is way off mark in terms of sugar.he was inattentive when he came to the conclusion
to advertise for sugar.Hyperalimentation will wreak your brain like an alcoholic,no kidding.
What makes you think that?

Also, a diet with sugar doesn't have to be hypercaloric.

What makes you think that?

Also, a diet with sugar doesn't have to be hypercaloric.

Induced B1-deficiency.Thiamine is so low dosed in foodstuff that even emergency-care Glucose resulted in
Disease.Thiamin deficiency is highly toxic in short time-frames and has to be avoided at all costs.
If someone isnt fairly sure about stuff,he shouldnt mess with it.I would advise extreme caution in regard to reckless-self-
experimentation.I feel that Peats notion of perceive think act enables in some a dangerous behavior.If you perceive wernicke psychosis,its almost too late.Most people dont understand plain Sugar.
empthy calories will necrose you.Thats the actual cause for lots of People congegrating at a place like this.
Induced deficiencies that are now parading as mystery-diseases.With accompanying B-complex,fine,
(also keep in mind Peat-like Diet with high Salt-intake-induced doubling to quadrupling of Urine-output,that eliminates watersolubles also two to three times faster,it isnt under more efficient renal control.).In Praxis,peat-like dieting
looks a lot like the deranged SAD-diet people try to refrain from,with foods coming from quadratic carton-boxes like sugarcube,Milg,OJ,Carton-oyster etcetc.

The Cascade goes High Fluid Intake -milk -OJ-Fruits-,hgih water volume-high Urinary volume,High salt intake 3-4 times increased urinary output,
B.Vitamin wasting through unfortunate renal elimination,
Lots of simple sugars that consume B1 without providing it,
and then metabolic stims that encourage sugar burning and B1 expenditure even more.

Induced B1-deficiency.Thiamine is so low dosed in foodstuff that even emergency-care Glucose resulted in
Disease.Thiamin deficiency is highly toxic in short time-frames and has to be avoided at all costs.
If someone isnt fairly sure about stuff,he shouldnt mess with it.I would advise extreme caution in regard to reckless-self-
experimentation.I feel that Peats notion of perceive think act enables in some a dangerous behavior.If you perceive wernicke psychosis,its almost too late.Most people dont understand plain Sugar.
empthy calories will necrose you.Thats the actual cause for lots of People congegrating at a place like this.
Induced deficiencies that are now parading as mystery-diseases.With accompanying B-complex,fine,
(also keep in mind Peat-like Diet with high Salt-intake-induced doubling to quadrupling of Urine-output,that eliminates watersolubles also two to three times faster,it isnt under more efficient renal control.).In Praxis,peat-like dieting
looks a lot like the deranged SAD-diet people try to refrain from,with foods coming from quadratic carton-boxes like sugarcube,Milg,OJ,Carton-oyster etcetc.
The Cascade goes High Fluid Intake -milk -OJ-Fruits-,hgih water volume-high Urinary volume,High salt intake 3-4 times increased urinary output,
B.Vitamin wasting through unfortunate renal elimination,
Lots of simple sugars that consume B1 without providing it,
and then metabolic stims that encourage sugar burning and B1 expenditure even more.
Ah, I see what you're saying.

I agree, using a lot of white sugar, and even gelatin( which is refined as well), will lead to nutrient deficiencies.

That's probably why I've been using refined sugar without problems for a long time now: I never ingest white sugar without b- vitamins or magnesium. I use 100mg of thiamine per day, which feels pretty good( more CO2, more ATP). And that's on top of eating 1 or 2 pounds of meat a day with a little liver everyday too.

Store- bought milk and OJ aren't very high quality. Milk in supermarkets is mass produced and, where I live, they always add chemicals to the milk. Not to mention that it is pasteurized. Orange juice in supermakets may contain added citric acid, which is probably not a high- quality pure chemical, and the oranges may not have been ripe when they were squeezed. Lots of things can go wrong there.

I don't think the SAD is similar to the common Ray Peat diet, unless we're talking about commercial, mass produced stuff, which, yeah, can be pretty crappy regarding quality. But the SAD contains a huge amount of PUFAs, as well as a lot of starch and grains( wheat), both of which Ray says are a bad idea to consume. The main principle is low PUFA, so it doesn't make sense to avoid juices or milk( unless one doesn't tolerate them). The SAD is bad due to, mainly, PUFA.

Very true.avoidance of irritating,unphysiologic food is one of the keys we need to hold.
Also high Dose Thiamine is a very good idea indeed.Very very low toxicity,if at all,and maxemum physiologic
benefit.

Hgreen56

so the high fructose was the culprit and not the potasium?
i had exactly the same problems and pains you did. i thought i was crazy and had corona or something.
switching back to high rice diet and every pain was disappeared.
Not sure if it was the fructose, pottasium or soluble fiber was causing problems.
Haidut posted a study thats say high soluble fiber diet is causing liver damage.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals