Hyperkalemia? Chronic Chest Pains Likely Caused By Too Much Potassium

_lppaiva

As I stated previously, I have access to a wide range of fruits. Being fruit is superior to starch, I have slowly increased my fruit intake.

After Peating, I had some symptoms, like sleepiness and chest pains. The chest pains really got me thinking of ditching the saturated fat and that this all was nonsense, as I thought cholesterol was building up in my arteries and vegans were write after all. I also thought that because I used to have chest pains when I took milk and some sugar, thinking it might be the calcium or cholesterol. (Can someone explain this also?)

Due to some reasons I can't have access to milk, and the pain continued. Then it hit me: Peat diet may be ready high in potassium.

Since a lot of people here Are from cold countries, I don't think they have as much access to fruit as I do, so this probably was never and issue. Even at 28-30oz of OJ, potassium isn't an issue.

I am getting 8-9g of Potassium per day. No need to tell me that's too much. Being I eat sweet potatoes, Bananas, and a lot of fruit, it quickly build up, and specially since my metabolism increased and I am hungry all the time. I HATE putting words in his mouth, but
"Peat already recommends" a higher salt intake, and that's for normal levels of Potassium, so I guess that for me it might be even worse. Can I balance it out with a lot of salt, or do I need to reduce my Potassium intake? If so I am screwed.

If I increase my sugar intake, I don't think my diet can provide me the necessary nutrients. If I use milk, it isn't high quality and might cause issues as well, unless I use skim milk (we only have Skim milk, 2% and Whole milk, no 1%). The milk I used is UHT with sodium citrate, and after a while on it I can't go back to the one full of conserv
What's left is loaded with Potassium. Bananas (not peaty but I eat them anyway since their local) , Guavas, Papayas, Mangos, Potatoes, etc. For the amount of carbs I normally to eat (400g, WHICH ISNT EVEN MUCH) I will get a minimum of 7-8g of Potassium with it.

What do I do? These chest pains are going for a while, and I read your heart can stop if you have high levels chronically. If salt can counter it, How much is needed? They stop once I don't eat for a while.

schultz

I am getting 8-9g of Potassium per day.

I get around this much, sometimes more, on a regular basis. Probably for the last 6 or 7 years. When I've logged my calories I've had it at 10 or 11 grams sometimes.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

I get around this much, sometimes more, on a regular basis. Probably for the last 6 or 7 years. When I've logged my calories I've had it at 10 or 11 grams sometimes.

No issues? Do you have any clues why it may be? How much salt/sodium do you take?

I am not sure if Peat's higher salt recommendation are due to his ideals naturally implying a higher potassium intake (fruits, etc)

I am also feeling pain in my liver, which kinda of freaks me out regarding fatty liver. My fructose intake is pretty high, around 50-70g, plus 100g of sacarose which gives about 50 more. My PUFA intake is <4, iron isn't that high also, so theoretically so shouldn't be having issues. I am honestly thinking of adopting legumes and starches back into my diet, as liver discomfrot decreases with starch.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

I don't think you can get hyperalkalemia from foods.

I wouldn't be so sure about that
Hyperkalemia and hyperdopaminemia induced by an obsessive eating of banana in an anorexia nervosa adolescent. - PubMed - NCBI

Thought it was a funny case to share since bananas are high in both dopamine and potassium. Also know they contain serotonin but dopamine content tends to be 4 fold higher than serotonin. Dont know if this dopamine can cross the blood brain barrier. Does not seem likely but at least the bananas seemed to raise her blood dopamine levels since the normal range is 4,6 - 6,1 and she had 210 ng/ml. Her values returned to normal once she stopped the excess banana consumption. Bananas are also a great source of l-dopa which does cross blood brain barrier so a certain raise in brain dopamine should be noticed in regular high banana consumption.

Of course this a very dramatic case. Just a joke lol

Although I am not sure if the absence of anything but bananas was responsible for mineral imbalances (although that is clear), indicating that perhaps enough salt could balance everything out.

Anyway, I am salting my food more heavily anyway, let's see.

yerrag

Magnesium deficiency - if deficient in magnesium, body simply excretes the potassiu instead of taking it into its tissues. To excrete it has to go through blood. Could this increase your blood potassium, ie hyperkalemia? Did your serum potassium test indicate hyperkalemia?

Acidic blood/ecf - If you're acidic, H+ could go into your cells in exchange for K+, this would cause hyperkalemia. Have you checked your urine pH? Optimal urine pH 6.4 to 6.8

Kidney issues - Some kidney problems make it hard to excrete potassium thru urination. Check your kidney condition.

schultz

No issues? Do you have any clues why it may be? How much salt/sodium do you take?

I am not sure if Peat's higher salt recommendation are due to his ideals naturally implying a higher potassium intake (fruits, etc)

I am also feeling pain in my liver, which kinda of freaks me out regarding fatty liver. My fructose intake is pretty high, around 50-70g, plus 100g of sacarose which gives about 50 more. My PUFA intake is <4, iron isn't that high also, so theoretically so shouldn't be having issues. I am honestly thinking of adopting legumes and starches back into my diet, as liver discomfrot decreases with starch.

I feel healthy so I guess it's fine. I just consume salt to taste so I don't know how much I take in daily.

How much protein are you getting?

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Magnesium deficiency

This would be a surprise as I do get plenty of Magnesium compared to the average diet. Around 700-800mg, right in range with Morley Robbins's recommendation. But perhaps

Did your serum potassium test indicate hyperkalemia?

Kidney issues

Perhaps excess fructose is causing a buildup of uric acid?

Acidic blood/ecf

Not sure about that.

Well, no point in theorizing. Thanks for the suggestions on the exames! (And the ranges)

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

I feel healthy so I guess it's fine. I just consume salt to taste so I don't know how much I take in daily.

How much protein are you getting?

A lot, at least for Peat's standards. I usually have to work hard to get under 130, so my range is usually 110-140g, with a 1:3/1:4 ratio carbs to protein per meal, mostly fruits

mipp

Chest pains could be a manifestation of gastrointestinal problems. Perhaps you are eating too much fiber with all that fruit and you lack acid. Milk aprobably isn't helping in this case.

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

I am really lost actually.

I started eating more starch, legumes, roots and vegetables. My hunger went down, and so did my temps and pulse. Eating about 1900-2100kcal with it

If I start eating fruit, I feel very energetic, eat every two-three hours due to ravaging hunger and my temps and pulse go up. 3000-3500kcal . BUT I have liver pain, heart pain and sleepiness after lunch, which would tie in with symptoms of excessive potassium and fatty NAFLD, but my doctor will probably not prescribe me a liver panel because I am young and thin.

Conventional wisdom says I am screwed, because I am both on a "high calorie" diet (and I use this loosely on in comparison to the 2000kcal norm) + high fructose (50-70g alone, 100-120g in total considering sacarose from food and sugar)

OP
_lppaiva

_lppaiva

Chest pains could be a manifestation of gastrointestinal problems. Perhaps you are eating too much fiber with all that fruit and you lack acid. Milk aprobably isn't helping in this case.
It's not that kinda of chest pain. it's more like angina, not heart burn. I thought it was cholesterol buildup but after researching about hyperkalemia my symptoms were similar.

I am gonna buy Chris masterjohns cheat cheat on Nutritional deficiency, even though I don't have the bucks right now. I am really lost

mipp

It's not that kinda of chest pain. it's more like angina, not heart burn. I thought it was cholesterol buildup but after researching about hyperkalemia my symptoms were similar.
I doesn't have to be heartubrn. Problems with esophagus actually feel more like tightness or a cramp in your chest. I've experienced it and it's completely different from a typical reflux burning. At your age it's not likely you have these chest pains due to CHD

mbachiu

I doesn't have to be heartubrn. Problems with esophagus actually feel more like tightness or a cramp in your chest. I've experienced it and it's completely different from a typical reflux burning. At your age it's not likely you have these chest pains due to CHD
What did you do to help with these pains? I’m experiencing esophagus pain & it is totally different from reflux, but still can be quite painful

Max23

I don´t think it is the potassium. Hyperkalemia should cause heart arrythmia not heart pain. You could experient with potassium supplement. I get heart arrythmia with just 150-300mg of a potassium supplement on an empty stomach. Also I get increased paresthesia in my fingers and toes. Kidney pain can occur. A diet over 6 grams of dietary potassium didn´t cause any negative symptoms for me. Eating 6 bananas in a row increased my paresthesia. You could try eating that or more bananas to see what effects happen. I read somewhere that at least 200 bananas eaten in a row are require to kill yourself. You could also try taking two pills of ibuprofen to see if hyperkalemia happens.

I have gotten heart pain from weird things that I can not explain. I don´t know what causes it for you, but I would recommend to follow your cravings like Peat says. I think the organism can handle dietary electrolytes pretty well. I would eat as normally as possible, modify the diet according to Peat, but would look to increase/decrease, not to avoid.

mipp

What did you do to help with these pains? I’m experiencing esophagus pain & it is totally different from reflux, but still can be quite painful
Once I get them I usually try to lie down on a firm surface and relax. It doesn't always work, sometimes I just have to wait it out. As to what causes it and how to avoid it -- in my case I think it's mostly due to bad posture, bad habits and occasionally bad food (too much fiber/bulk hard to digest) + hasty eating + sitting at a desk or curled up on a sofa following a meal. It's mostly a mechanical problem but certain foods problably contribute. For example glycine, and to lesser extent gelatin seem to make all my gastro-esophageal problems worse for some reason.

hmac

A lot, at least for Peat's standards. I usually have to work hard to get under 130, so my range is usually 110-140g, with a 1:3/1:4 ratio carbs to protein per meal, mostly fruits
Are you eating coconut oil? What are your fat sources? Are you taking any supplements?

mbachiu

Once I get them I usually try to lie down on a firm surface and relax. It doesn't always work, sometimes I just have to wait it out. As to what causes it and how to avoid it -- in my case I think it's mostly due to bad posture, bad habits and occasionally bad food (too much fiber/bulk hard to digest) + hasty eating + sitting at a desk or curled up on a sofa following a meal. It's mostly a mechanical problem but certain foods problably contribute. For example glycine, and to lesser extent gelatin seem to make all my gastro-esophageal problems worse for some reason.
Interesting. My posture is atrocious. I will start by trying to work on that more consciously. Although I do feel that I have been trying to do this forever. Maybe give it a more concerted effort. I actually upped my gelatin to try to help...hmmmm

ExCarniv

Too much fruit is not natural imo, too much fiber, too much sugar.

Just eat a couple days of meat/eggs potatoes/rice as main dishes, some milk and a banana or two you'll feel better.

You're creating stress because you're too worried about food.

Chest pains can have so many reasons, even including back problems! I experienced ongoing pain directly at the sternum due to an uptight back and I know at least one other person who had the same problem.

That said, I don't think your pain is due to hyperkalemia. But if YOU think that is a possibility, then I recommend to see a doctor to have that checked. (I know we're on RP forum here and I don't usually recommend that step, but hyperkalemia is a life threatening condition. Not quite the condition to just tweak your diet a little and see what happens...)