Hyperammonemia!

shine

I didn't read the whole thread, but for hyperammonemia I would supplement:

Ornithine Hcl (most important)
Vitamin K2 MK4 (Haiduts Kuinone)
Thiamine
Biotin
Caffeine
Pregnenolone 30-50mg (fixes NMDA dysfunction)

Astolfo

Well good question cause im as dumb as the doctors. To me it makes perfect sense to just make a simple blood test to reveal blood ammonia levels but no he did a test on my liver........Cause he was convied every ammonia problem is due to dysfunctional liver. Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure i found a study where the patients liver was fine but still he had high ammonia. The enzymes in the Urea Cycle is not part of my test-resault....What a mess...

I agree.
But I’m wondering about your opinion about me. My AST and ALT came as 13-14. But I have literally every symptoms of hyperammonemia including NMDA deficiency symptoms. I’m just being worried much about my problem. If it’s hyperammonemia, I can change my way of trial then.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

I agree.
But I’m wondering about your opinion about me. My AST and ALT came as 13-14. But I have literally every symptoms of hyperammonemia including NMDA deficiency symptoms. I’m just being worried much about my problem. If it’s hyperammonemia, I can change my way of trial then.

As i said ive barely scrached the surface trying to understand hyperammonemia. The way i understand it im not suffering hyperammonemia at the moment. But i did at two occasions. Now im only left with the feeling i have slighy elevated ammonia that contiinously irritate my already damaged CNS.

What are AST and ALT? Enzymes in Urea Cycle?

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Thiamine
Biotin
Caffeine

Well thanks shine. I just had a gram of orithine and now im ***t scarred that it will have an adverse effect cause by some unseen factor. This is simply because glutamine, glycine and lysine made very disturbing reaction in my and im left with a fear of all amino acids. I mean lysine fcuked me up bad and im still not at all back to any homeostasis after only one dose.....

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Astolfo. By "NMDA" deficiency do you mean that its activity is increased and symptoms being neurotoxicity.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Thiamine
Biotin
Caffeine
I found in one study that ornithine aspartate was the only form proven to be effective. And ive got HCl. Its hard to figure it out alone with impaired cognitive abilities and a doctor that simply dont believe im having a problem with ammonia.

shine

I have great effects with Hcl. Taken in the evening I get very relaxed from it, my cognition gets better, I pee a lot and then have a very restful sleep.
Have you tried Pregnenolone? Maybe you currently have something like schizophrenia, which is associated with NMDA dysfunction. Pregnenolone-Sulfate is an agonist at the NMDA receptor and fixes the cognitive problems. I personally don't believe psilocybin mushrooms can cause hyperammonemia. Psilocybin is a very safe substance physically, with a lower toxicity than caffeine.

If I were you, I wouldn't focus on what condition you might have. Focus on things like increasing your metabolism, finding a diet that you can sustain over a long time and that makes you feel good, maybe do some meditation, go for walks in nature. You can also try CBD oil if it is available in your country/state. It lowers inflammation and microglial activation in the brain and has a calming effect, which results in better cognition.

tara

If you are assuming high ammonia based on how you feel, and not confirmed by any measurements, then I wouldn't be so sure. The symptoms seem like they could relate to many kinds of imbalance.

But if there really were high ammonia ...
Another way to lower ammonia levels would be to eat low to no protein for a few days. Any amino acid or protein (with the likely exception of ornithine) will add ammonia just through normal function. Lowering protein intake for a few days could give your body time to catch up, and have levels normalize.
I too wonder whether it would be helpful to lower high-protein foods for a week and stick mainly to fruits, roots and veges (incl some fats).

And keeping up regular water intake so you can keep gradually removing the excess (Eg a cup every waking hour - or half a cup every half hour. Or slightly less if this feels too much, or drink juice, or a mixture of juice and water some or all of the time if you need it. Not a litre at a time, which could be more destabilising if you are already struggling with fluid balance.)

You could always try a little of a hot water brewers yeast extract and see if it makes you feel better or worse?

Then if a week helps, try out small changes and see what seems beneficial.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

I have great effects with Hcl. Taken in the evening I get very relaxed from it, my cognition gets better, I pee a lot and then have a very restful sleep.
Have you tried Pregnenolone? Maybe you currently have something like schizophrenia, which is associated with NMDA dysfunction. Pregnenolone-Sulfate is an agonist at the NMDA receptor and fixes the cognitive problems. I personally don't believe psilocybin mushrooms can cause hyperammonemia. Psilocybin is a very safe substance physically, with a lower toxicity than caffeine.

If I were you, I wouldn't focus on what condition you might have. Focus on things like increasing your metabolism, finding a diet that you can sustain over a long time and that makes you feel good, maybe do some meditation, go for walks in nature. You can also try CBD oil if it is available in your country/state. It lowers inflammation and microglial activation in the brain and has a calming effect, which results in better cognition.

Hmmm... my problem at the moment is i cant think very rational and its seems this ability decrease all the time. No, im far from sure that i experienced hyperammonemia. HOWEVER JUST like you i was of the EXACT same opinion that mushrooms CAN not under any circumstance induce a toxic effect, only hard times or uncomfortable moment. I did 100+ trips and i NEVER had the idea that it could trigger what happened in me.

The first thing that came to mind after the experience was actually schizophrenia but i have NO KNOWLEGDE of this state. Even at this point i dont know much about it and i dont have any focus to read, so it may be that i actually degenerate in my room and die cause i cant do ***t.

However just TOO many symptoms match up with elevated ammonia but im sure they match up or overlap with other conditions described in literature. Like depression is also part of it, at least at the moment.

Im kinda scared of taking hormones exogenously as i really dont know all the consequences. And the tricky thing is that i feel like i have to figure it out all on my own, yet ive never been more incapable/disabled cognitivly etc.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Shine: By the way, what dosage do yuo use? Im afraid to do big doses of isolated amino acids after lysine triggered delirium in me. So ive been at max 1 g and i feel NOTHING from it...

tara

Do you want to list your (subjective) symptoms again? I think I read delirium (imagining things? part of the common response to mushrooms?), part of brain feeling numb, possible feeling of brain edema, depression?
And any other objective signs or measurements to try to diagnose what's going on from a medical perspective?

AIUI, liver and kidneys need to be functioning to remove excess ammonia. So liver tests could check that they are working for this purpose as well as other purposes.

I'm skeptical about subjective feelings on this being a reliable guide to exactly which receptors are being affected in the brain, or other aspects of diagnosis. Leaping from that to treatment with specific amino acids etc seems like stabbing in the dark to me, with at least as much risk of harm as hope of benefit.

Before you embark on more experimental treatments, have you checked some of the basics? For instance:
- Check your diet to see roughly what nutrition you've been getting in your average day, eg using cronometer or similar. Including calories. Post if you want.
- Check body temps and resting heart rate. This can gie some info on basic metabolism.
- Check resting breathing. Relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic, small? Or fast, chesty, mouth, stressed etc? If te latter it can probably be improved to good effect.
- Are you getting regular sunlight on your skin, regular movement, regular sleep, etc?

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Ok, i resonate with your post and i agree on most points. Meaning that i find that it sense. Also i appreciate anyones help.

Ill try list some symptoms.

-Rapid changes i perception followed by confusions and disorientation. (happens only like 1-2 times a day)
-A feeling that i warp meaning i find myself suddenly another place without expecting it. (meaning that my brain did not plan to move that way and im taken by surprise)
-Also some involuntary relexive movements.
-Difficulty reading, especially on phone. (this was very bad yesterday i found it impossible at some point to read as much as 1 sentence)
-Cognitive difficulties (kinda situation dependent)
-Swelling, like my right leg feels enourmously big (usually dont last too long)
-Frustration (due to shortcomings, like trying to describe abnormal perceptual phenomena)
-Involuntary attempt at swallowing
-Disturbing visual interpretation, looks like reality is melting a bit.
-Motoric problems (has been going for a while and seem to be persistent)
-Feeling out of breath (not so strange when you actually dont breath)
-Lethargy (feeling very weak)
-Inside of my gums feel very assymetric
-Addictive behavious, drinking more coffee than i used to accompanied with increase use of tobacco (loss of control for bounderies)
-Memory problems, especially working memory.
-Neuropathy and intense buring (feels like ice and burning at the same time). I can make is stop by moving out of that position but i build up to repetition so i gotta keep moving.
Ill had 1 positive symptom: Intense pleasure, like harmonious communication between nerves. (however that is not part of any normal metabolic cycle so its still an indication of something abnormal)
-Loss of apetite
-Extreme sensitivity to cold, (yesterday i started shaking like hell outside)

To me its obvious that ALOT is going on but i dont not conclude with any established lable. Although i feel that i have SOME mental faculties intact and CAN point out certain info as clues to work with.

About delirium, im not sure its the right discription. And it was not in association with mushrooms but after i took Lysine rather.
-

Last edited:

Ella

Forum Supporter
What about progesterone - very brain protective and very safe. Anything to do with brain edema and inflammation, I give progesterone in the first instance. Riboflavin, thiamine and niacinamide. Nutritional yeast regularly. Riboflavin is rapidly consumed when there is inflammation and rapidly lost via urine. Riboflavin is require to activate the rest of the B-Vitamins and to recover misfolded proteins.

Juicy fruits, sweet OJ + sugar and milk + lots of sugar when dealing with poisoning or extremely low energy states.

You need to get to a dr and stay away from isolated amino acids.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Thank you so much i do 1-2 tsps of yeast every day. Is raw honey OK as source of fuel? Im ***t-scared of amino acids and psychedelics (the latter used to be my main interest in life)

Ive already been visiting 2 doctors and told my story but i dont know how they evaluate me. They tell me im not psychotic and that im fine sitting there so i cant possibly have a problem with elevated ammonia. And neither do i know....my symtoms seem to be some hyperactivated NMDA activity (which i thought was triggered by hyperammonia) but all my ideas seem speculative and i generally distrust doctors. Not sure how to proceed but i dont feel even a tiny bit better after my accident with Lysine so ill soon have to contact a doctor for further evaluation. Latly ive developed the sense of being watched which i associate with schizophrenia and im a little worries all the time. I do seem to find my self in a relativly stable mood throughout the day tho. Thank you all for comments, it is really helpful.

Any strategies to natural increase progesterone? Ive come to hate supplements......minerals are fine (with some exceptions) but hormones im a little more cautious before i choose to use them exogenously.

shine

I too was very cautious with supplementing exogenous hormones and I would consider that one of my biggest mistakes in life. Could have saved me from being bedridden for 3 years. My brain fog, depression and obsessive thoughts went away after just a week of pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is very very safe even in doses of 500-1000mg. I am suggesting 30-50mg.
Just try one capsule, if it is not for you, you have atleast tried it.
It made all the difference for me and I can live a normal, fulfilled life again.

tara

Any strategies to natural increase progesterone?
To give your body the best chance of recovering naturally, including producing helpful hormones, it needs good conditions, including amongst other things appropriate nutrition, hydration, respiration, movement, sunlight, sleep etc. Can you give some information about your habits on these fronts?
You've mentioned various supplements, and
-Loss of apetite
but what and how much are you eating? Do you want to tell your height/weight/age? (Sorry if you already have and I missed it.) Man cannot live by powders alone.
-Feeling out of breath (not so strange when you actually dont breath)
Are you breathing large or small? Chest or diaphragm? Mouth or nose? Fast or slow?
Do you get out in the sun?
Do you move?
Do you sleep regularly and enough?

Some of the symptoms you describe look like they might be general energy issues, some look like they might be related to the nerves particularly.

Next time you see a doctor, if they don't volunteer what they think is going on, perhaps you could ask them? And ask them for the results of any tests they've already done?

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

I too was very cautious with supplementing exogenous hormones and I would consider that one of my biggest mistakes in life. Could have saved me from being bedridden for 3 years. My brain fog, depression and obsessive thoughts went away after just a week of pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is very very safe even in doses of 500-1000mg. I am suggesting 30-50mg.
Just try one capsule, if it is not for you, you have atleast tried it.
It made all the difference for me and I can live a normal, fulfilled life again.
Thank you, i will consider it. I doing small steps but taking note of pregnenolone.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Tara: All the factors of my condition is what makes it difficult cause they all contribute to a state of disability. Like my memory is poor, i mind freeze when i try to think of what ive been eating. And i do not have many habits as my life is in change and its like some neural pathways and patterns of day to day life is erased.

But i can tell you someting.

Im a bit addicted to coffee latly. I often take Rice bran when i wake up in some water, an hour later i have bee pollen with my coffee and some kind of fat like butter or red palm oil. Dinner varies, sometimes beans, eggs, fish, meat, potatoes, rice....But as a said my days are a bit chaotic latly and i dont eat to specific times of the day. I usually eat small-mid meals and often too simple.

Im a 30 year old male, about 170 cm hieght and about 60kg of weight.

Ive been into hiking for a while, meaning i go 5-6 hour walks in nature. I do try to get some sunlight every day, making a little effort for this. But also i live in Norway and its cold and dark at the moment so im often stuck at my computer damaging my eyes with blue light.

I think its all complex as the mushroom episode was the big trigger. Ive been rather healthy before that, although not really into health. I really dont have too many supplements that are part of the daily regime, trying to get most of my nutrients from foods. I hope this answare at least some of what you were looking for, otherwise dont hesitate to ask more specific questions as i dont know how each point is relevant to you.

OP
magnesiumania

magnesiumania

Oh and about sleep... when i did glutamine i started sleeping 12 hours every night for a week this christmas. Havent done that in years. I usually sleep about 7 hours but the past couple of days ive slept more like 5.

tara

The foods you mention, if you are not also eating other foods too, look like they might be a bit short in some minerals - I'm wondering if there is enough calcium, potassium in there, for instance. Would you have the time and energy to log everything you eat in cronometer for a couple of days so you can see roughly what's in it? It's a rough way of seeing if there are big gaps in minerals or vitamins. Also can get an estimate of calories. If you are running short nutritionally, that can mess with brain energy. So can significant mineral imbalances. (not that I can diagnose them, but seeeing if there are obvious gaps can be useful to help find foods to fill them.)